Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive in / Van Showcase Cornwall / 2021 Plan

CaliJoe

CaliJoe

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Does anyone know of any good van events/festivals in Cornwall?

I ran a Drive-in cinema this year, we had about 40% vans attend (good surf community!). We're doing the planning for our event next year, and looking to make a few changes, and wanted to give the vans a bit more of a centre stage. Give people the opportunity to camp, and also have a sort of "show and shine" session, and then also have a public and also van competition for the best dressed / best looking vans.

I'd be open to people's ideas, feedback from past events you've attended, and considerations.

Below is a picture of the site from this Summer

p.s. (The event we're planning would be in a neighbouring field, which has a bit more tarmac.)

p.p.s (That's my California hidden behind the tipi - and yes - I was fortunate enough to stay on site for all 7 weekend's we ran the event this Summer :).)

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-08 at 23.11.01.jpeg

Does anyone know of any good van events/festivals in Cornwall?

I ran a Drive-in cinema this year, we had about 40% vans attend (good surf community!). We're doing the planning for our event next year, and looking to make a few changes, and wanted to give the vans a bit more of a centre stage. Give people the opportunity to camp, and also have a sort of "show and shine" session, and then also have a public and also van competition for the best dressed / best looking vans.

I'd be open to people's ideas, feedback from past events you've attended, and considerations.

Below is a picture of the site from this Summer

p.s. (The event we're planning would be in a neighbouring field, which has a bit more tarmac.)

p.p.s (That's my California hidden behind the tipi - and yes - I was fortunate enough to stay on site for all 7 weekend's we ran the event this Summer :).)

View attachment 68460

O wow! what a cool idea.

IMO , the Cali's can be on the sides and people can park for an extended period if they wish to stay on ... something like a campground that also shows movies. The cars that come in from neighbouring areas can take the centre stage area.

I personally would prefer this area ... rather than area with tarmac.

How did you advertise last time on ... and what was the movie list like? Is it different movies ... or did you also do re-runs ?

This sounds cool ... and as out in the open, social distancing et. al. will be possible quite easily (if still applicable).

Hi Joe,

sounds good, where in Cornwall was the previous event?

suggestions for Films

Big Wednesday
Point Break
American Graffiti
Star Wars (whole series)
The Matrix (whole series)

have a look at the website for inspiration

plenty more online, but limited info at this time of year as most are closed

in answer to your first quest

I’m sure you know of ocean fest at Croyde ?

full VW events calendar from 2020 (the cancelled year) :

Hi Joe,

suggestions for Films

Big Wednesday
Point Break
American Graffiti
Star Wars (whole series)

You have missed TOP GUN?

Thanks all. This was the event this year: https://wavelengthmag.com/drive-in-cinema/

Next year we're planning the drive-in series again, and also busy planning more of a 1 off festival over the May bank holiday weekend.

in answer to your first quest

I’m sure you know of ocean fest at Croyde ?

full VW events calendar from 2020 (the cancelled year) :

Thanks. I know Oceanfest, although have never made it. Knew of Run to the Sun, seemed to lose it's way a bit that one! That VW event list is super helpful thanks!
O wow! what a cool idea.

IMO , the Cali's can be on the sides and people can park for an extended period if they wish to stay on ... something like a campground that also shows movies. The cars that come in from neighbouring areas can take the centre stage area.

I personally would prefer this area ... rather than area with tarmac.

How did you advertise last time on ... and what was the movie list like? Is it different movies ... or did you also do re-runs ?

This sounds cool ... and as out in the open, social distancing et. al. will be possible quite easily (if still applicable).

Yeah - the field was great, and we hope to use it again - but it also has it's limitations (i.e. not very good in the wet!). The area we are planning has plenty of grassland, but also a good amount of tarmac which will be helpful for the moto element. You can see the link above for the information, you should be able to sign up your email there as well to get new prompts when they come out.

=====

Thanks all for the input!

Hi Joe,

suggestions for Films

Big Wednesday
Point Break
American Graffiti
Star Wars (whole series)

We are off to tulleys for a movie tomorrow afternoon. Really looking forward to it

Thanks all. This was the event this year: https://wavelengthmag.com/drive-in-cinema/

Next year we're planning the drive-in series again, and also busy planning more of a 1 off festival over the May bank holiday weekend.

Thanks. I know Oceanfest, although have never made it. Knew of Run to the Sun, seemed to lose it's way a bit that one! That VW event list is super helpful thanks!

Yeah - the field was great, and we hope to use it again - but it also has it's limitations (i.e. not very good in the wet!). The area we are planning has plenty of grassland, but also a good amount of tarmac which will be helpful for the moto element. You can see the link above for the information, you should be able to sign up your email there as well to get new prompts when they come out.

=====

Thanks all for the input!

Agree totally with RTTS the first five or so ( late eighties early nineties) were fairly small event, great vibe but really good bunch of people, it grew big and as you say lost its way (became commercial) and lost the vibe. (Understatement)

“ground guards“ can be used to good effect, creating a temporary access “roadway“ where heavy traffic in poor weather is an issue.

if you want to tap into the VW scene in particular, it won’t be very hard, events like Run the ring have Good following.

list of of clubs

@David Eccles has massive experience around the VW scene, (has been around forever) and has his own publication for Air cooled VW. hes has published a book or two, Not sue he’s a Surfer ?
David used to be associated with Camper Jam But recently parted company.

https://www.camperjam.com/whats-on/2020

( 2020 was cancelled for some unexplained reason)

T4 , 5 &6 forums

santa Pod raceway -
Big Bang bus is a young but growing event at Santa Pod, chilled vibe, they have had BMX displays, circus, fair ground, children’s art tent, graffiti expo etc

slippers the split Bus (DJ)

Bug Jam: old event and not a great camping vibe for chilled vibe (it mor a full on party all night for the old Skool ravers).

Obviously this wonderful forum is geared towards camping and has a great vibe, I’m sure there are lots on here would support you and attend the event.

hope the links above are of some use and inspiration.

looking forward to more details of your event. :cheers

Agree totally with RTTS the first five or so ( late eighties early nineties) were fairly small event, great vibe but really good bunch of people, it grew big and as you say lost its way (became commercial) and lost the vibe. (Understatement)

“ground guards“ can be used to good effect, creating a temporary access “roadway“ where heavy traffic in poor weather is an issue.

if you want to tap into the VW scene in particular, it won’t be very hard, events like Run the ring have Good following.

list of of clubs

@David Eccles has massive experience around the VW scene, (has been around forever) and has his own publication for Air cooled VW. hes has published a book or two, Not sue he’s a Surfer ?
David used to be associated with Camper Jam But recently parted company.

https://www.camperjam.com/whats-on/2020

( 2020 was cancelled for some unexplained reason)

T4 , 5 &6 forums

santa Pod raceway -
Big Bang bus is a young but growing event at Santa Pod, chilled vibe, they have had BMX displays, circus, fair ground, children’s art tent, graffiti expo etc

slippers the split Bus (DJ)

Bug Jam: old event and not a great camping vibe for chilled vibe (it mor a full on party all night for the old Skool ravers).

Obviously this wonderful forum is geared towards camping and has a great vibe, I’m sure there are lots on here would support you and attend the event.

hope the links above are of some use and inspiration.

looking forward to more details of your event. :cheers

Lots of really helpful insight in here. Thanks for taking the time to share. We'll keep you posted! Just need to get land sign off, and check all licensing etc as there's a few hoops to jump through to get sign off for overnight stays.

Thought you all might like to see that we've got our follow up can friendly event live now: https://springclassic.co.uk/ 27-30 May, Woolacombe, North Devon. Van hook ups available. Hope to see a few of you there!

SC-Poster-2022-S5.jpg