Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drivers door - broken hinge stop/ door check

burko73

burko73

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi

Just got in the van this morning and before I could reach the door handle to grab it a gust of wind blew and caught the door which blew open.

It blew onto the door check end stop (on the hinge) and I heard a crack as the end stop knobby bit on the cast (I guess) hinge cracked and the door blew onto the plastic piece in front of the mirror where luckily it came to rest without damaging the door or the wing.

Looks like I need a new hinge or at least the part of the hinge with the end stop.

Where is the best place to look for one?

Are T 5 and T5.1 hinges the same? (Mines a T 5.1 Cali)

If new from VW are they unpainted?

If so will it need painting (to protect it from rust)?

Will painting with a rattle can suffice? Will I need primer & paint? Mines natural grey so perhaps a grey primer will do?

Cheers

Richb

Hi

Just got in the van this morning and before I could reach the door handle to grab it a gust of wind blew and caught the door which blew open.

It blew onto the door check end stop (on the hinge) and I heard a crack as the end stop knobby bit on the cast (I guess) hinge cracked and the door blew onto the plastic piece in front of the mirror where luckily it came to rest without damaging the door or the wing.

Looks like I need a new hinge or at least the part of the hinge with the end stop.

Where is the best place to look for one?

Are T 5 and T5.1 hinges the same? (Mines a T 5.1 Cali)

If new from VW are they unpainted?

If so will it need painting (to protect it from rust)?

Will painting with a rattle can suffice? Will I need primer & paint? Mines natural grey so perhaps a grey primer will do?

Cheers

Richb
Part 3
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...831/subcategory/831010/part_id/3689053/lang/e

They come unpainted - probably primed. Using cans for undercoat + Top coat should be fine.

cheers for that. where might I get one at a sensible price? I'll go ask google...

cheers for that. where might I get one at a sensible price? I'll go ask google...
VW might surprise you. TPS, but they are normally Trade only, but worth a try as they supply OEM parts for VW.
German eBay has them at about 65€ + postage.

As far as I have found TPS will serve any customer spending money!

As far as I have found TPS will serve any customer spending money!
That’s what I have heard, but no actual experience.

I deal with my local TPS on a reasonably regular basis as do a number of friends.

Rod

Back