Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drivers Door Pocket

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi everyone, I don't have a key for the lock on the pocket on the drivers door. I'm hoping to get one as insurance usually only covers theft of personal items that have been kept in a locked glove box/compartment.
I've been looking on the web but I cant find a lock or cover for this pocket.
Any ideas?

Chassis number at VW should provide all the Intel you need for a new key?

I've not tried to lock mine. I'll go and investigate which keybit uses.

Anyway when are we going to see pics of this beast, all detailed and spotless?

I thought I was the only "Red i" in the village!

I will try my local VW garage, but they don't seem to be interested in selling parts unless they are for more modern stuff!!
Can anyone here recommend a VW garage that has a decent parts dept, I don't mind getting parts shipped from the UK, I just want decent service.

I use Cordwallis in Enysham near Oxford. VW commercial

Parts guy is good.

01865 580617

Well I spent last Saturday doing a lot of washing, cleaning and a polish. Most of the sunscreen marks came off, but a few are still lingering, so I'm going to try some other products to hopefully remove the sunscreen marks.
Its in the garage at the moment getting a new timing belt kit and full service and check over. I might have it back tomorrow or Saturday, I'm away to London on Sunday to Tuesday for work, so Ill get a few photos of it soon. Mine was bought in December 2002, pity the first owner didn't wait a few weeks.

I use Cordwallis in Enysham near Oxford. VW commercial

Parts guy is good.

01865 580617

I'll try them, its great when a parts guy shows a genuine interest in finding the parts you need, the parts are out there, just takes a bit of determination to find them.

Gave them a call but no luck, and to make it worse my mechanic called and advised me that VW don't have any timing belt kits in stock for my Cali, so it's on back order and he cannot give me a date for delivery.!!!!
My mechanic suggested fitting a non VW timing belt kit, he uses them all the time and never has had a problem with them.
I annoyed about this as I wanted to have it serviced with VW parts.
Any opinions or advice??

Either get him to warrant the work and crack on or phone around and find one on a shelf somewhere.

Either get him to warrant the work and crack on or phone around and find one on a shelf somewhere.
The Parts guy at Cordwallis checked, only one showing on the system and it's booked in to a workshop somewhere to be fitted.
Yea I might just have to get on with it.

How long / how many miles since last belt change?

How long / how many miles since last belt change?
According to the service records, it not due for a while, don't have the exact date as the records are in to Cali which is with my garage.
Usually when in buy a a vehicle I get the timing belt replaced straight away, I think it's usually safer and it's easy to plan a proper service schedule from then on.
So I've decided to order the genuine VW parts and wait until they arrive to give it a service.. I know its being a bit pedantic but I want to have everything done properly.

The service books at this date (or at least in 99) only talked about a mileage interval, but it seems commonly accepted now that a time interval also applies. I think it's 4 years (although it could be 5).

Hi everyone, I don't have a key for the lock on the pocket on the drivers door. I'm hoping to get one as insurance usually only covers theft of personal items that have been kept in a locked glove box/compartment.
I've been looking on the web but I cant find a lock or cover for this pocket.
Any ideas?
I have spare pocket cover so checked what inside.You can press out pocket lock remove the barrel and match key pins to your key

20170624_103838.jpg

20170624_103945.jpg

20170624_104436.jpg

Attachments

• lettherebelight-1.pdf
    285.8 KB · Views: 4
Pocket lock will work with ignition key.

I just tried my ignition key and it wouldn't work, I'll go and check it again to be sure. Its strange that it wont work??
Maybe the Ignition/Door key has been changed in the past!

I just tried my ignition key and it wouldn't work, I'll go and check it again to be sure. Its strange that it wont work??
Remove the lock,press out the barrel,don't lose key pins or springs put yours key in there will be key pins sticking out, you can try to swap the pins,file key pins, resemble.You have working lock now if any of the door locks don't work with ignition key you can do it same way,less than 10 minutes per lock.

Remove the lock,press out the barrel,don't lose key pins or springs put yours key in there will be key pins sticking out, you can try to swap the pins,file key pins, resemble.You have working lock now if any of the door locks don't work with ignition key you can do it same way,less than 10 minutes per lock.
Ok I will give it a try later. Thanks for the advice.

Well, I was poking around the dash the other day, and guess what fell out? A set of two keys, one for the drivers door pocket and the other for the water tank cap, happy days, I managed to get ye original water tank cap locking again, so now I can keep my new cap as a spare.

Back