Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drivers door window not closing.

Toby of Duky.

Toby of Duky.

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,
2023 T6.1 drivers window stops 2/3s up and returns to halfway. Tried the VW reset and nothing. Nothings blocking the channels and it makes a straining noise before it stops. I’ve managed to close the window using my hand to force the window up.

Any ideas before a trip to VW?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
Hi,
2023 T6.1 drivers window stops 2/3s up and returns to halfway. Tried the VW reset and nothing. Nothings blocking the channels and it makes a straining noise before it stops. I’ve managed to close the window using my hand to force the window up.

Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul, if the motor is working, there may be something loose/getting stuck inside the door. If you are comfortable to remove the door card and check, it may help (see this recent thread on door card removal - https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/t6-1-door-card-removal.47667/) , otherwise a visit to the dealer may be in order. It could also be a sensor issue, but unlikely. You will need to look inside the door card.

Straining noise might be the regulator cable; Used to happen on Audi TT's alot. The window gets frozen to the door frame during cold periods, when you unwind the window, the cable stretches as it pulls the glass off the ice and will eventually fail. If so, you will normally hear a strange crunching noise, which is the failed cable strands rubbing against one another under tension.

If you need a replacement, ALWAYS but a VW one...cheaper replacements are sometimes not as easy to fit and will result in alot of swearing!.

Hi,

Thanks
Paul
The fact that it returns means that the system has detected a trap. It doesn't take a lot for the system to react, as they are design to prevent injury, thus the forces involved are low. As it is a new vehicle I would inspect the glass seal very carefully around the zone it stops. It only takes a slightly unseated seal for it to sense a block. If it isn't a seal, then as others have stated it maybe the cable jamming or a tight spot in the mechanism. The window movement/speed is detected by rotations of the window motor. If you can find a bit of plastic or a stack of supermarket loyalty cards that are about as thick as the glass, you could push them into the seal gap and see if there is a tight spot.

A

Hi,

Thanks
Paul
Run a screwdriver the thickness of the glass around the window rebate. If no obstruction spray Silicone spray into the glass channel/rebate. Repeat window reset.
Fully close window using small steps . When closed hold up switch for 5 secs. Fully open and hold down switch for 5 seconds. Try auto close.

I had a similar issue and had to try the reset with the button a couple of times - I think it was third time lucky

Thank you for all of the replies. It’s booked in on Wednesday for other issues and they’ll look at that too.
I will try the recommendations above beforehand and see if it’s a simple fix.

Thank you
Paul

Back