Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drivers Mirror glass

pingpal6

pingpal6

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just drove out of our pitch in Glenmore campsite Aviemore yesterday and the glass fell out of the drivers mirror in our 2010 T5 California. Sods law of course it couldn't fall of on the grass it had to wait till I got onto the road, subsequently the mirror broke into 4 pieces. Drove into Aldi in Aviemore and stuck the pieces together with Gorilla tape and secured it to the mirror until we got home. So I now need a stick on mirror. VW parts department at our local dealer shut at 3pm so I need to contact them tomorrow. Anyone happen to know the part number of a replacement mirror or another option rather than going through VW?

Just drove out of our pitch in Glenmore campsite Aviemore yesterday and the glass fell out of the drivers mirror in our 2010 T5 California. Sods law of course it couldn't fall of on the grass it had to wait till I got onto the road, subsequently the mirror broke into 4 pieces. Drove into Aldi in Aviemore and stuck the pieces together with Gorilla tape and secured it to the mirror until we got home. So I now need a stick on mirror. VW parts department at our local dealer shut at 3pm so I need to contact them tomorrow. Anyone happen to know the part number of a replacement mirror or another option rather than going through VW?
Don’t know if this is any help
580394B1-9E84-4FD4-BE1E-005F9F6FDEC3.jpeg

How is your mirror adjustment knob placed? In the middle between the left and right adjustment? This is the heating function, and thus it will always heat the mirrors. Place the knob to the left or right mirror. Due to the constant heating and cooling, the glue gets loose and inevitably, the glass will fall off.

By the way, could you please tell me how your California is registered? EURO 4 or EURO 5? Do you have a CCHA engine?

Thanks for the replies it's a great help especially the p/n. Interesting, never thought about the position of the adjustment knob but will check when I go to the van. V5 certificate says Euro5. CCHA engine, how would I find out?

Thanks for the replies it's a great help especially the p/n. Interesting, never thought about the position of the adjustment knob but will check when I go to the van. V5 certificate says Euro5. CCHA engine, how would I find out?
What modelyear is your California? 2010 or 2011? VIN number WV2ZZZ7HZ AH.... or BH?
My 2010 (made in 2009) is registered as EURO 4 with the same engine. And now I might get in trouble sooner in environmental zones. Just need to find some other victims to have a statement to VW. They say it's Belgium that made a mistake, but up to now I found 2 Belgian and 1 UK VW T5.1 with a wrong registration.

Registered September 2010 and the VIN number starts WV2ZZZZHZBH. Interesting enough when sourcing a replacement glass I put my registration into Euro car parts and it says it's a 2011 model. VW garage quoting £62.75p for mirror with backing plate. Euro parts for a mirror with backing plate £38.99 and they are doing a mid month sale so got it for £25.73p. I know it's not a genuine VW part but it is OE quality. It seems a doddle to replace, just pull it of and there are 2 spade connectors, so I will take the original mirror assembly with me and do a comparison before I purchase

Registered September 2010 and the VIN number starts WV2ZZZZHZBH. Interesting enough when sourcing a replacement glass I put my registration into Euro car parts and it says it's a 2011 model.
Your VIN is ...BH..., this is model year 2011. Model year changes about june/july I think. So you bought your van in 2010, but it is already model year 2011. I reckon you have the newer rear bumper, with the parking sensors neatly fitted instead of the big fish eyes like mine?

Although we nearly have the same van (color, awning, ...)
I even have an RCD310 with the old T5 blue backlight :talktothehand.

Similar has happened to me, but the glass is still attached! We were driving along in France and I noticed the glass wobbling! It’s now duct taped on to secure it. I’m not brilliant at diy, but is this something I could sort myself? I note Pingpal6 says above that it’s a simple job, but if someone could offer a bit more detailed advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ian

It is very straightforward. Get your fingers behind the mirror on the backing plate which also has the heater built in and pull towards you. Don't be frightened to pull hard if necessary and the the mirror assy will come away. There are two spade connectors, gently pull them off. Connect the two spade connectors to the new unit (the mirror comes complete with backing plate) position over the circular mount on the mirror housing and push gently all the way, that's it five minute job. Pictures included. Purchase new mirror from Europarts p/n 490441020 normally £38.99 but they had a sale £25.73. Comparing the part out of Europarts and the original VW part I can't see any difference they look and feel identical

IMG_1045.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

It is very straightforward. Get your fingers behind the mirror on the backing plate which also has the heater built in and pull towards you. Don't be frightened to pull hard if necessary and the the mirror assy will come away. There are two spade connectors, gently pull them off. Connect the two spade connectors to the new unit (the mirror comes complete with backing plate) position over the circular mount on the mirror housing and push gently all the way, that's it five minute job. Pictures included. Purchase new mirror from Europarts p/n 490441020 normally £38.99 but they had a sale £25.73. Comparing the part out of Europarts and the original VW part I can't see any difference they look and feel identical

View attachment 45769

View attachment 45770

View attachment 45771
Thank you. I’m sure your post will be of help to many.

Thank you very much! I’m hoping that in fact I don’t need to replace the glass - it is still attached but was visibly wobbling as we were driving along, so I took the precaution of taping it in place. It may have come loose through my cleaning the mirror earlier that day, though I was gentle with it.

In fact, looking at your wonderfully clear instructions, maybe I just need to remove the duct tape and gently but firmly push it back on?

View attachment 45769

View attachment 45770

View attachment 45771

VWCC Forum to the rescue again. My o/s mirror glass lay on the road in pieces, thanks to an oncoming idiot van driver in a Devon lane. A quick search to find this thread, a few clicks to order replacement part 490441020 from Eurocarparts (now £28.37), speedy delivery, easy fitting, and job done. Thank you @pingpal6 and others.

Back