Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drivers side wind noise

C

camper-x

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I'm getting wind whistle above 60mph on the drivers side. Assuming it's the awning as the door seal seems to be in good order. Has anyone solved this or is it a matter of turning the radio up?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting wind whistle above 60mph on the drivers side. Assuming it's the awning as the door seal seems to be in good order. Has anyone solved this or is it a matter of turning the radio up?!

Never had this problem even at 140 km/hr on the Autobahn ( 90mph ).

Both doors shut properly? Does Awning cover rattle when you tap it, if so Open & Close it firmly, but don't overtighten.
Sliding window closed properly?
Drivers window closed fully?

Yes I get this on my 2008. Harmless and I've not found a way to fix it. I think it is from the wing mirror

Sliding side window seal probably not seating fully . I had this last year . Silicone spray / grease works well on seal and window shuts much easier and will help reduce chance of water leaks which are common .

My T5 had a whistle .. it was a loose (clips broken) door mirror cover. Rather than spend a fortune on a mirror cover that is bound to get bashed, I fixed it with clear PVC tape.

Funny as i keep hearing wind noise since day one on my driverside door...
But on a LHD , so not from the awning that is.
Does not bother me that much but i do focus on it from time to time :headbang

Thanks all. Awning not loose but I'll use it over the weekend. Wing mirror covers not loose. My bet is window seals. I'll try to grab some silicone grease and run it round all the window and door seals, hope that makes a difference.

Sliding side window seal probably not seating fully . I had this last year . Silicone spray / grease works well on seal and window shuts much easier and will help reduce chance of water leaks which are common .
Can I use wd40 for this or is there another product that you recommend ?

I have this on a 2007. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Can I use wd40 for this or is there another product that you recommend ?
Wd40 is oil based and will damage rubber seals . Silicone spray/grease is best . Good for stopping rubber seals tearing when frozen too.

Silicon spray applied but am pretty sure it's the wing mirror seal. Will investigate and report back!

Silicon spray applied but am pretty sure it's the wing mirror seal. Will investigate and report back!

Whistle easily cured! Caused by turbulence between mirror and mounting. I made an out of

Whistle easily cured! Caused by turbulence between mirror and mounting. I made an out of
Sorry cut short! The whistle is caused by turbulence between mirror and mounting. I made an aerofoil out of a wiper blade rubber about 1 1/2 inch across the gap and stuck it on with ext double sided tape.Sends the air over the arm supporting the mirror. No whistle!

P1110977.JPG

Sorry cut short! The whistle is caused by turbulence between mirror and mounting. I made an aerofoil out of a wiper blade rubber about 1 1/2 inch across the gap and stuck it on with ext double sided tape.Sends the air over the arm supporting the mirror. No whistle!

View attachment 20640
That's excellent! I'm going to try the seal first though. All was well until I used the retraction button. Suspect something inside disturbed. I'll report back once I've done tools (camping just now) but I love your work around!

I'm getting a whistle I never had before I went to the Lower Lode meet and forgot to lower one corner of the awning which filled with rain and sagged in the middle. It sprang back into shape when we pushed the water out and I thought we'd got away with it but now the awning doesn't quite close properly, the lower part sticks out, just a little.
I can probably tolerate the sound, thinking that might be safer than trying to bend the awning back into shape.

I'm getting a whistle I never had before I went to the Lower Lode meet and forgot to lower one corner of the awning which filled with rain and sagged in the middle. It sprang back into shape when we pushed the water out and I thought we'd got away with it but now the awning doesn't quite close properly, the lower part sticks out, just a little.
I can probably tolerate the sound, thinking that might be safer than trying to bend the awning back into shape.
Wind it open 1 metre and re-close. I cannot see how having water pooling on the awning would bend anything along the cover.

There was so much water that the awning collapsed and I think the bit where it joins the legs may be slightly bent - I've tried the winding it out and re-closing. See how the bottom part is sticking out?IMG_0011.JPG

There was so much water that the awning collapsed and I think the bit where it joins the legs may be slightly bent - I've tried the winding it out and re-closing. See how the bottom part is sticking out?View attachment 20733
Ahh. You didn't mention that the awning had collapsed.

When you press it closed, does it move at the ends, and not in the centre?

If so, check that the legs are clipped in the correct way, especially the foot plate that should be against the metal.

View attachment 20640
Nice Gurney flap. Good effort. You'll be using flowviz next.