Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving back from Germany to UK - quarantine question

kp64zl

kp64zl

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Netherlands / Belgium and France will all require 14 days quarantine on arrival in UK from Sat 15th 04:00hrs.

So after this...If returning from Germany, without stopping in any of these countries - is quarantine still required in UK?

Clearly it would be essential to stop at the Eurotunnel / Ferry port (which is France / Belgium / Netherlands), but no need to get out.

Perhaps there may be a difference even between Eurotunnel (stay in car/van) to overnight ferry (e.g from Hook of Holland).

I can't find official advice as yet but it's only been a few hours since the announcement.

Thanks

Someone just asked this on radio with the person was traveling from Italy to Calais and they were told they would still need to self isolate even if they did the journey to to tunnel without stopping.

Screenshot_20200814-074726_Chrome.jpg

Someone just asked this on radio with the person was traveling from Italy to Calais and they were told they would still need to self isolate even if they did the journey to to tunnel without stopping.

Thanks -- sounds like the radio advice that you heard doesn't tally with the UK Govt advice that you have posted above though.

What is unclear to me remains....

1) whether checking in at Eurotunnel terminal would be considered a transit stop?
2) whether getting onto a ferry would be considered a transit stop ?

Clearly driving from Italy to a Channel ferry port without stopping would be quite a feat but suppose it's possible if carrying fuel in containers or doing most of the trip through Germany. I reckon you can get from German border (e.g. Aachen) to Calais on one tank.

Last edited:
I know, there is total confusion over this, I was just reading Eurotunnel Twitter feed and a lot of people asking same question

Thanks -- sounds like the radio advice that you heard doesn't tally with the UK Govt advice that you have posted above though.

1) whether checking in at Eurotunnel terminal would be considered a transit stop?

Clearly driving from Italy to a Channel ferry port without stopping would be quite a feat but suppose it's possible if carrying fuel in containers or doing most of the trip through Germany. I reckon you can get from German border (e.g. Aachen) to Calais on one tank.
My goodness - you'd need one hell of a bladder!

If you're travelling by Eurotunnel, I would suggest you're fine as long as you don't get out of the car/go into the terminal building as their advice is, and has been to stay inside your car at all time.

I wonder if you'd be OK on a Ferry also, as although you have to get out of the car on the boat, technically once through passport control you are on 'British' soil?

Don’t forget to keep a check on your addblue.

I wonder if you'd be OK on a Ferry also, as although you have to get out of the car on the boat, technically once through passport control you are on 'British' soil?
Are you? Somehow I don't think the French would agree with your interpretation.

Are you? Somehow I don't think the French would agree with your interpretation.

Well, maybe not British... but it's technically 'International'

From the font of all knowledge that is Wikipedia:

The United Kingdom and France established "international zones" or "control zones" at both ends of the Channel Tunnel, which crosses underneath the English Channel. British authorities exercise authority within the control zone on the French side, and French authorities exercise authority within the control zone on the UK side. Violations in the control zone are treated as if they occurred within the territory of the adjoining state within that zone, and extradition is not required to remove a violator to the operating state for prosecution. Officers of the adjoining state may carry firearms within the control zone

I'm sure a similar thing exists at Ferry ports....

Answer to that question on TV this morning, makes it virtually impossible to do.

You cannot stop during transit of a Quarantined Country, not for Fuel, Toilet or any other reason. ie it must be a nonstop run from Border to Border. No exceptions.

There are also individual Country Border restrictions in operation which would make diverting say from France into Germany or Belgium and back into France another potential issue.

It also seems that as you have to state all Countries visited on the Tracking Information Form prior to UK entry that alone having a Quarantined Country on it put you into 14 days rule.

Seems the transit rule applies more if going the other way from UK to Italy for example, where nonstop is virtually impossible.

Hi @B J G

it's 164km from German border to Hook of Holland Ferry port -- that *should* be possible without stopping for fuel and toilet? surely??

looks like closest point of Germany to Calais is around Aachen, 341km so that would be a bit trickier...

Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 10.23.47.png

aachen.jpg

Saarbrücken services on the Autobahn 6 is 520 Km (325 miles) from the Coquelles terminal of the Channel Tunnel. If you did the entire trip, Saarbrücken to Folkstone, without leaving your van, I think that you could get away without self-quarantine. You're stuffed if you have a pet. I don't think you could get away with it by ferry.

We had delayed and delayed booking our two week holiday in France, due to begin today. I'm glad we did delay, but we still have six pre-paid (£48 each) single tickets for Le Shuttle to use before mid June next year.

You cannot stop during transit of a Quarantined Country, not for Fuel, Toilet or any other reason. ie it must be a nonstop run from Border to Border. No exceptions.
I can't question what you heard on the TV, but can question the completeness of the TV report.

Surely it would be OK to stop to pee into a bottle, have a snack, change drivers, etc. so long as no one exits (or enters) the van.

Last edited:
It also seems that as you have to state all Countries visited on the Tracking Information Form prior to UK entry that alone having a Quarantined Country on it put you into 14 days rule.
Nobody checking whether you have completed the form when we returned last weekend, not even mentioned.

it’s says on the gov site that in a private vehicle you can stop as long as no one else gets in the vehicle. I interpret that as it’s fine to stop for the toilet, fuel etc but not overnight.

Nobody checking whether you have completed the form when we returned last weekend, not even mentioned.

my 9 year old would not be able to tell anything but the truth to school teachers etc! Then eventually work would find out and I'd get into lots of trouble.

it’s says on the gov site that in a private vehicle you can stop as long as no one else gets in the vehicle. I interpret that as it’s fine to stop for the toilet, fuel etc but not overnight.

From the site

You do need to self-isolate if you make a stop and:

• new people get into the vehicle, or
  • someone gets out of the vehicle, mixes with other people and gets in again
Fuel ok you could do pay at pump. But how do you do toilets without mixing with other people?

We are coming back Saturday evening & have already had 4 emails from channel tunnel latest saying dont even bother to try & change your booking as they are 100% full.
We are booked for midnight saturday & somewhat relieved that the deadline is Saturday morning, not midnight Saturday as I was expecting. My biggest worry is the queues at Calais being so long that we cant get into the terminal.

That is good news for those outside France before 4am tomorrow and wanting to drive through France.

• You can refuel at self-service pumps if no one else is around.
  • You can have a comfort break outside the van so long as no one else is around.

Last edited:
Chances of finding a service area in August in France with no-one else around?

From the site

You do need to self-isolate if you make a stop and:

• new people get into the vehicle, or
  • someone gets out of the vehicle, mixes with other people and gets in again
Fuel ok you could do pay at pump. But how do you do toilets without mixing with other people?

We are coming back Saturday evening & have already had 4 emails from channel tunnel latest saying dont even bother to try & change your booking as they are 100% full.
We are booked for midnight saturday & somewhat relieved that the deadline is Saturday morning, not midnight Saturday as I was expecting. My biggest worry is the queues at Calais being so long that we cant get into the terminal.
Toilets at a small French aire without mixed should be fairly easy.

If your crossing is midnight Friday evening/Saturday morning you should be fine.
If your crossing is midnight Saturday evening/Sunday morning you are in trouble.

Last Friday at Portsmouth I had to show Border Force Official my conformation email on my smartphone. Probably usual inconsistent rules being enforced at various points of entry.

Rules state that it must be completed within 48 hour period prior to UK entry.

Toilets at a small French aire without mixed should be fairly easy.

If your crossing is midnight Friday evening/Saturday morning you should be fine.
If your crossing is midnight Saturday evening/Sunday morning you are in trouble.
No other way round, midnight Friday Calais will be a nightmare With people trying to beat the deadline. Midnight Saturday hopefully ok as after the deadline. We are in Spain now so have to isolate anyway.

No other way round, midnight Friday Calais will be a nightmare With people trying to beat the deadline. Midnight Saturday hopefully ok as after the deadline. We are in Spain now so have to isolate anyway.
I bet ferry prices will go through the roof if you are not already booked to get on...We all knew it was going to happen..

I bet ferry prices will go through the roof if you are not already booked to get on...We all knew it was going to happen..
I don’t think price is an issue, there is no further capacity. Euro tunnel and ferries were already 99% full before the announcement.

Back