Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving from Zurich to Alicante, with camping en route

Wembley

Wembley

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We are planning to drive from Zurich to Alicante at the end of this month, and wanted to check for any tips on routes or places to camp along the way. I am looking at going down through France, i.e. avoiding the northern Italy route, and hence passing by Montpellier and Perpignan, then into northern Spain and southbound along the eastern coast, probably making two overnight stops along the way. If anyone can share tips or suggestions on routes or places to stop I’d be most grateful.

Any recent experiences of driving and camping through France and Spain during these covid times would also be welcome – I note that there have been some case flare-ups in Catalonia recently (where we would most likely cross into Spain), so any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Are you in any camping or caravan clubs? If not I would think about joining ACSI. Although it’s mainly of benefit in the “off” season it still gives you a choice of Thousands of campsites along the way with an app for your phone or IPad ..We have found it fantastic over the past few years..

Are you in any camping or caravan clubs? If not I would think about joining ACSI. Although it’s mainly of benefit in the “off” season it still gives you a choice of Thousands of campsites along the way with an app for your phone or IPad ..We have found it fantastic over the past few years..
Great tip, thank you - I'll check them out

Hi there, we are at present in Denia after driving from Zug, Tessin, Northern Italy to the Lavender Fields in Valensole. Then on past Montpellier (stopping at Aigues-Mortes a place we know well) Perpignan and into Spain. We had no problems at all and indeed felt safer in Spain where the Covid restrictions are taken very seriously compared to back home in Switzerland. Be careful around Barcelona as it is known for crime even on the motorways. One camping place I would recommend is Mont Roig del Camp, camping Oasis Mar. Very nice, exceptionally clean, friendly etc. It is just south of Cambrils. Hope this helps, enjoy Neil

Hi there, we are at present in Denia after driving from Zug, Tessin, Northern Italy to the Lavender Fields in Valensole. Then on past Montpellier (stopping at Aigues-Mortes a place we know well) Perpignan and into Spain. We had no problems at all and indeed felt safer in Spain where the Covid restrictions are taken very seriously compared to back home in Switzerland. Be careful around Barcelona as it is known for crime even on the motorways. One camping place I would recommend is Mont Roig del Camp, camping Oasis Mar. Very nice, exceptionally clean, friendly etc. It is just south of Cambrils. Hope this helps, enjoy Neil
This is all a great help - thank you! I will check out the stops you mention that we can cover going direct from Switzerland through France, and also Mont Roig del Camp. I had thought about trying to do all the overnight stops in France and then power on down the eastern coast of Spain - largely due to the recent covid resurgence in northern Spain - but I will see if we can make this one of our stopovers.

Thank you for the covid-related insights, too. I agree that in Switzerland there seems to be less caution over the whole situation, perhaps due to not having been hit so hard in terms of fatalities and health service overload. I just wanted to make sure I was not putting us in unnecessary peril but, in the end, I guess we all need to get back to some kind of normality, with the necessary precautions in place.