Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving heater problem

John.s

John.s

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
image.jpeg We have only had our Cali a month and have spent every weekend away in her, we love it. As the weather has been getting cooler I put the fan heater on for the first time while driving around but only cold air came out until it was on max which was very hot, after two mins turned the temp down one digit and we had cold air again. Am I missing something on the controls or does it need a trip to the garage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi John .s
The heater you want is the webasto diesel heater located under van under driver seat.Control panel by rear view mirror operates it or remote control with keys . Takes 5 mins to get started and smokes at first . Also you will hear clicking of its diesel pump . We find level 3 /4 is about right . They like being used regularly especially if it's wet .

Hi John .s
The heater you want is the webasto diesel heater located under van under driver seat.Control panel by rear view mirror operates it or remote control with keys . Takes 5 mins to get started and smokes at first . Also you will hear clicking of its diesel pump . We find level 3 /4 is about right . They like being used regularly especially if it's wet .
No, he's talking about the dash heater for the windows etc. whilst driving. Trip to a mechanic I think.

Hi
if its main heater not diesel one then its look like "blower motor resistor" is gone its need to replace. it will cost you £15-£20.

its look like

heater.jpeg

To clarify?
1. does the fan speed control work ok? (all the different fan speeds work)
2. is it just the temperature control that only gets the heat hot when it is on max?

if 1. the the resistor posted above is the answer.
if 2. it could be the flap servo that modulates the heat.

Hi John .s
Not the static heater it's the dash board car heater I'm having probs with!

Last edited:
Thanks Jeetu2k and Loz yes the fan controls work ok and blow out cold air until the max setting, it then blows very hot. What is the flap servo? And is that easy to fix?

We had a similar experience And it turned out to be a faulty temp sensor in the dash. Also could be a faulty flap motor. Best to get vw to check

I had a similar problem, but cured it by running it for a few minutes set to max hot and then setting to max cold a few times with the fan on max until it seemed to cure the flap problem. Was unsure whether it was the flap getting stuck or the sensor being covered in something. In any case it is worth trying as it won't cost anything, and
If it doesn't work you haven't lost anything. I speculated that there was some fluff on the sensor that gets blown off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar problem, but cured it by running it for a few minutes set to max hot and then setting to max cold a few times with the fan on max until it seemed to cure the flap problem. Was unsure whether it was the flap getting stuck or the sensor being covered in something. In any case it is worth trying as it won't cost anything, and
If it doesn't work you haven't lost anything. I speculated that there was some fluff on the sensor that gets blown off.

Thanks for the tip I will try it tomorrow and I'll let you know if I have any joy

Van now back from VW, they had it for 4 days, now changed the 'heater control valve' but still does not seem right to me, when it is cold and the van is warming up the heat on the middle heat setting is good, when the van warms up the temperature of the blown air cools. I do not have climatronic heating so does anyone else have a van that does this, maybe it is just normal I have not noticed before???

Can I ask a favour of those who have a digital thermometer and do not have climatronic option, I would like to know what temperature the hot air exiting the centre dash vent on your Cali is once the van is fully up to running temperature (90 deg C oil) and temp setting is at 22 deg, knob vertical, VW are telling me 27 - 28 deg C is normal.

I have exact same problem on manual heater, which only gives out hot air on near to the max setting on dial. van centre said normal but clearly not right, Having read these posts I will try quick fix from rupertpoon (thanks) or that failing back to van centre again.

I have exact same problem on manual heater, which only gives out hot air on near to the max setting on dial. van centre said normal but clearly not right, Having read these posts I will try quick fix from rupertpoon (thanks) or that failing back to van centre again.

Do you have a temperature gauge you can check the centre vent output temperature to see if it is the same as mine once van is nice and hot with thermostat open, set dial vertical (middle). My van centre did back to back tests with another Californa and concluded it was normal for the heat output to be high when the van was warming then cool a bit 50 deg C to 28 deg C once the thermostat opened.

They did change just about every component before they came up with that conclusion.

Last edited:

Yes, this worked after a few tries. Much improved heater giving very hot air at three quarters setting instead of max. Thanks to rupertpoon.
New T6 due in April with full climate as standard!

Anyone had the problem where the front dash fan doesn't spin at all on any speed setting. I have a 2010 SE California with climatic control. Could it just be a fuse or dead heater motor, anyone know the fuse location so I can check before I buy a new heater motor?

Does anyone know where the fuse is for the front cab fan motor, the main fuse not the Resistor fuse?

Heater Working!
The heater motor wasn't spinning so phoned VW and they wanted over £400 to supply and fit so went onto eBay and found a replacement for £89.50 with a 2 year warranty. Fitted it and working within an hour... :)
VW Part No 7E6820021B NOTE RHD for model with electronically regulated air conditioner, second evaporator and second heater in rear
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/292979505413
The old motor had a stiff bearing in perhaps from water ingress. Changed the Pollen filter at the same time...DSC_0435.JPGDSC_0420.JPGDSC_0421.JPG

Back