Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving with some seats turned?

zeratul

zeratul

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
I was wondering if it is legal to drive around with the passenger seat and/or the two middle seats(7-seater beach) turned around. I read everywhere that driving with child seats backward is 5x safer than with seats forward, so what about passenger seats?
I guess we should turn off the passenger airbag for the passenger seat.

It would also be nice, with the middle seats turned and the table installed, we'd be able to play cards with 5 while driving...

When I have shifted my vehicle with the passenger seat swivelled, even to move it from one pitch to another on a camp site, I have found the Nearside mirror to be dangerously obscured.

Not allowed to drive with passengerseat(or driversseat) turned . Got airbags all arround the cabin ...and in the seats!

Here is the euro ncap crash test t5 multivan, there are no airbags for the second and third seat rows.. so turning the second row seats cannot have any impact on the airbags:

As for the front passenger's seat, I'm not sure, also when the seat is turned, the airbag is in the perfect spot in case of a side impact.
Question remains: is it legally allowed? And is there an official VW statement?
I know in belgian law, it says you cannot put a child seat reverse on the front row, UNLESS you disable the airbag. And I also know the Tesla Model S has an option for two extra seats, facing backward...

There is an airbag in the side of the backrest of the frontseats , located on the outer side. Protecting an impact from outside.
Turn your passenger seat arround and crash the vehicle , airbag goes open on the innerside ! And the front airbag will push against the back of the turned seat.
On the other hand the driver sitting in correct position,will have his head in between an extra airbag:confused:

Thats also why my Brandrup seatcovers need to be placed correct , airbag!
And not all seatcovers are made to put on seats with airbags....

But do feel free driving with turned seats .....:headbang

Ok. Also rear mirror, might be a legal requirement.
That still leaves the question for the middle seats, it allows 5 people playing cards. No airbags in the back.

Ok. Also rear mirror, might be a legal requirement.
That still leaves the question for the middle seats, it allows 5 people playing cards. No airbags in the back.
A 7 seater beach is like a caravelle with a poptop. So the 5 seats in the back are on the same rail system and have the same options. The two single rear seats in front of the bench can face forward or backwards. They have the seatbelts built into the seats and so can be rear facing too. Look for caravelle pictures to see. :)

I own a 7 seater beach so I know how the seat belts of the middle seats work. But would it be legal to drive with those seats facing backward?

I'm sure it states somewhere in the manual that the middle row seats can be used either forward or backwards facing with the swivel in the locked position but not sideways facing. Or it might be on a sticker somewhere. I think there is one on the sun visor stating not to use the front seat rear wards facing.

it is totally fine to drive with the middle row of captains seats swivelled to face backwards. They are exactly the same as the seats found in the Caravelle / Multi Van these have passed to ncap certification facing in both directions.

Was it ever established, if it is "specifically" illegal to drive (in the UK) with the passenger seat facing backwards? (Without a passenger in the seat, as the seat-belt operation would not allow for this.)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Was it ever established, if it is "specifically" illegal to drive (in the UK) with the passenger seat facing backwards? (Without a passenger in the seat, as the seat-belt operation would not allow for this.)

Cheers!

I should think with no one in the seat it is not against the law ,but very disturbing while looking in the rear view mirror...

I've got aftermarket swivel plates on both front seats (different makes - done at different times) and neither of them lock in the rearward facing position - probably to deter you from driving while these are swivelled.

However the middle pair of captains seats (caravelle) lock in rear position and repeating was others have said, nothing in the manual stating you can't use these rear facing (eg similar to some London cabs which have rear facing seats etc with lapbelts etc).

Re safety-wise, far safer to be rear facing as most crashes are front impact (reason why some military transport aircraft have rear facing seats - for safety)

Full details of mot testing here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-and-7.pdf

The front passenger seat rotated may restrict your view to front and side. That could be an issue if involved in an accident.
When travelling alone, I hawe left the passenger seat turned, but tilted the back down. This allows full view out of the side window and mirror. BUT, I hadn't thought about the airbag.
Thanks Hotel, I won't do it again.

As Seb points out, anyone flying in a military aircraft designed to carry passengers may have experienced flying backwards. The RAF VC-10s had all the seats facing backwards, and there was no drinks trolley:(.

Back in the 90's I had a flight on a Carrier On-board Delivery aircraft (COD) and all the passenger seats faced backwards, we landed on a US aircraft carrier (arrester wire) and took-off (steam catapult). The g-forces on take-off and were nothing like I had experienced before, probably akin to an accident.

In a California fully loaded there are numerous objects in the back ready to become missiles; I'd rather be protected by the seat-back and headrest than having passengers and objects hitting me against an immovable object.

I know you face backwards in a London Taxi but speeds are less than 30 mph, probably far less in London traffic.

Facing backwards maybe okay if all rear passengers face backwards and there is no luggage (missiles), otherwise facing forwards seems the safest option to me.

Andy

Rather than thinking of the legal issue would it not be better to do a full risk assessment on what could befall the passengers in the event of an accident.

Easy to berate this issue but .. M1 Minibus recently makes for sobering thought.

Rather than thinking of the legal issue would it not be better to do a full risk assessment on what could befall the passengers in the event of an accident.

Easy to berate this issue but .. M1 Minibus recently makes for sobering thought.

If you're gonna get squashed between two 32 ton artics, does it matter if you're facing forwards or backwards?

If you're gonna get squashed between two 32 ton artics, does it matter if you're facing forwards or backwards?
Not the point. M1 was hopefully an extreme case but even minor shunts can have fatal or disabling results.

I wouldn't want be responsible for either fatal or even lesser injuries due to my lack of care.
An unrestrained passenger has been known to cause fatal injuries to other restrained passengers.

The question was whether turning the front seat in order to play games was OK. I'd tend to think that rear seat belts would be undone if playing games.

Not the point. M1 was hopefully an extreme case but even minor shunts can have fatal or disabling results.

I wouldn't want be responsible for either fatal or even lesser injuries due to my lack of care.
An unrestrained passenger has been known to cause fatal injuries to other restrained passengers.

The question was whether turning the front seat in order to play games was OK. I'd tend to think that rear seat belts would be undone if playing games.

So what was your point in mentioning the M1 tragedy?

So what was your point in mentioning the M1 tragedy?
Just to highlight that nobody should adopt 'it wouldn't happen to me' train of thought. Some survived.
Also to make people think of possibilities, which is what you are now doing.
Talk to a Traffic Policeman, crash tender crew or paramedic.

Just to highlight that nobody should adopt 'it wouldn't happen to me' train of thought. Some survived.
Also to make people think of possibilities, which is what you are now doing.
Talk to a Traffic Policeman, crash tender crew or paramedic.

So were the survivors facing forwards or backwards? How do you know?

Matters not. I'm off out in the van. Have a good weekend and stay safe!

Back