Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Driving with table up..

A

Alpy Days!

Vehicle
T6 Coast 102
Hi all - apols if this is a silly question, but my kids keep asking for the table up while we are driving so they can read/draw and whatever... strikes me that this isnt a great idea, probably dangerous in the event of an accident.. Any thiughts or wisdom on this?!
Cheers
Alpy

I've driven with the table up in my beach but you are right, in the event of an accident it is something to hit. Even if they don't hit it, anything on it will fly forward unless fixed down. I learnt this lesson the hard way when I was in the back using a laptop and my GF braked heavily and the laptop went flying onto the floor.

There is a Sticker under The stowed table which says it's forbidden to drive with an Open table I think.

c8f3080580b7c39a0a3dcb4043019e24.jpg

Hmmm. Probably one of those things that's absolutely fine until it isn't.

I wouldn't.

Just had a flash back.......................

Sitting in the back of Dads splitty with the table up - scooter pulls out in front = emergency stop - table goes flying I go flying - my action man goes flying splitting his plastic tin hat, he would have been killed without than tin hat.

Think i would not be driving with the table in position , but when folded up in a accident the table is a projectile either way....

Worst would be a massive shunt from the rear which could send the table flying backwards into whoever is in the rear seat

Just had a flash back.......................

Sitting in the back of Dads splitty with the table up - scooter pulls out in front = emergency stop - table goes flying I go flying - my action man goes flying splitting his plastic tin hat, he would have been killed without than tin hat.
Funniest reply for a long time

Worst would be a massive shunt from the rear which could send the table flying backwards into whoever is in the rear seat
That's a really good point. but could be really easily fixed by adding a bolt mechanism to lock the table in position. Not something I'd want to butcher my 2016 Cali with but you'd have thought it would be easy enough for VW to add. There's still the issue of stuff on the table going flying but if not on the table its going to be on the passengers laps anyway. Unless you impose airline style rules :D

I'd think there's a big difference between a stowed table & one out loose in the cabin - don't start people fretting, they need to stock Brandrup worry beads in the shop as it is.

Generally not a good idea to have loose items near people, but if you have an accident big enough for the stashed table to come into play there are a thousand other factors. I'm personally heartened by our friend heres Cali protecting him in a t-bone rollover, let's keep perspective.

Why don't you get some of those lap trays with the bean bags underneath? Still a loose item, but not heavy, and will save you loads of "are we nearly there yet/i'm hungry/i'm bored"- style moaning.

The Caravelle has a table attached to the rails. There must be a way of securing the folding table in the same way. Still doesn't stop stuff flying off it though.

Back