Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drying bellows

Azteccamper

Azteccamper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Ok all quick bit of help.
I went out for a spin with my mum (presently having chemotherapy and she wanted a day out) on Sunday in the Cali. Stopped in Ogmore by Sea for a cuppa and bite to eat. Had a lovely time.
Raised the roof and typically it rained. And as I live in Wales it has rained every day since. How can I dry the bellows out?

I went out for a spin with my mum (presently having chemotherapy and she wanted a day out) on Sunday in the Cali. Stopped in Ogmore by Sea for a cuppa and bite to eat. Had a lovely time.
Raised the roof and typically it rained. And as I live in Wales it has rained every day since. How can I dry the bellows out?
Just have to wait for a dry day, unless you have a very tall garage.
According to BBC weather app, the coming Sunday, Monday and Tuesday should be dry your way.

I use my Makita battery leaf blower and then lower the roof down to about a foot and wipe the under edge completely to remove any condensation and then spray the roof underside edge with silicone spray.

Last edited:

Azteccamper, the bellows can stay wet - it does not matter. What causes problems is - if it is wet and you keep the bellows closed for a very long time (a week or longer), then that area gets clammy, can develop moss/fungus and the canvas gets spoiled. If you open it and wash it with clean water, that will go a long way in reducing any damage (it will prevent damage). Even if you get a day without rain (and no sun), just keep the bellows open and if washed with clean water, the bellows will dry up and be fine.

Hope that helps.

and as Loz says, if you have a leaf blower, use that after washing with clean fresh water.

Not sure I agree that the bellows can be left wet. Apart from the obvious issue of mould there's the problem of the moisture wicking through and soaking into the upper mattress and headlining. I recall someone on the forum having some bad water stains due to wet bellows.

Not sure I agree that the bellows can be left wet. Apart from the obvious issue of mould there's the problem of the moisture wicking through and soaking into the upper mattress and headlining. I recall someone on the forum having some bad water stains due to wet bellows.
Additionally. you will end up with moisture beading on the grey painted parts on the underside of the roof and this will risk bringing on the under roof corrosion on the mounting brackets.

I must admit I have occasionally thought about this as a potential problem, but in the ten years we have had our Cali I have never actually remembered or got round to drying the bellows.
Perhaps I had better have a look for damage....I'll post again if I find any detriment.

It's really easy. When it stops raining. Bob the roof up and check it's dried out. If it rains for 3 week solid then wait until that dry day. Pop it up. Rinse it off with a hose or something and let it dry. Biggest issue is staining the mattress.but mines already stained. And it wasn't raining when it happened

Perhaps I was being too subtle... What I meant was - don't worry about it! I never have and ten years on there's no problem.

Managed to get a few dry days in Wales this last week :eek: so got the roof up (whic( I needed to for another issue - also solved) and all sorted. Thanks for your replies.
Aztec:thanks

Back