Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG and snow

Longer

Longer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Guys,

I'm just about to buy a California and found this forum after 'Googleing' DSC or maunal for a transporter. It's obvious this has been covered many times in the forum and the general consensus is positive, particularly for a more relaxed experience driving. However my question is a little specific, the bus I'm looking at is 4 motion a real bonus as I head for the mountains often, summer and winter, so to cut to the chase, does anyone have experience using a DSC box in snowy conditions? Obviuosly snow tyres are a no brainer, I was just wondering the DSC was delicate enough to deal with it. Any comments greatly appreciated. many thanks in advance.

Gary.

Its DSG and with winter tyres I personally prefer manual but I think the DSG style box is gentle enough.

Furthermore I would think that 4WD option must be better than 2WD when going uphill/straight but it will not make a lot of difference going downhill on slippery surfaces. However Winter Tyres with Front Wheel Drive vehicle do seem to work very well in Winter Conditions as I experienced in my 2WD Winter Tyre shod 2017 California on a recent trip to Obertauern in Austria.

PS: With 4WD you will have the added benefit of being able to get out of muddy fields/Campsites in the summer....

Hi Gazellio,

Thanks for the reply, yes DSG - For my cars I've always preferred a manual for the clutch control in the snow, but there are more later model DSG vans around on the market, hence the thread. I know 2WD will be more than adequate with snow boots, but the 4WD is attractive as my trips to the mountains are frequent.
Thanks again for the reply, food for thought.

DSG is just fine. Knock it into manual mode and stay off the brake pedal. Definitely 4motion if you can it does make a difference.
All the best.

Hi Fudge,
Thanks for the input. Could I ask, is this personal experience in the snow with DSG?

Hi
Yes I’ve recently come back from a trip With no problems. I’m not experienced as some but common sense and take your time.
Hope this helps.

I'm living in the French Alps having moved here from the UK last September. I've imported my 180 DSG Cali with me (not 4 motion) and have not had any issues so far. I've fitted good winter tyres and not had to use my chains yet.........

My only issue is having to dig it out of the snow before I can go anywhere!!

I'm living in the French Alps having moved here from the UK last September. I've imported my 180 DSG Cali with me (not 4 motion) and have not had any issues so far. I've fitted good winter tyres and not had to use my chains yet.........

My only issue is having to dig it out of the snow before I can go anywhere!!

I can imagine this season is certainly making up for the last few, I've been up once, heading back up in a couple of weeks. I agree the tyres make the difference, I used to live in the Alpes myself so know the benefits. Thanks for the input, appreciated. It's just a little mental block I've got about no having full control in the snow!

Diff lock and hill descent with the DSG and 4 motion pretty good package.... now in 4 m snow ...... bit of learning curve..... Nokian winter tyres.....

DSG, 4motion, winter tyres = no problems.

I will let you know in about 4 days time whether it still applies for DSG, 4 Motion, All season :shocked

I was driving yesterday (Scotland) in a foot of fresh snow with 4Motion, DSG and winter tyres, including driving up a very steep road where one car was abandoned. Handled it with ease.

I was driving yesterday (Scotland) in a foot of fresh snow with 4Motion, DSG and winter tyres, including driving up a very steep road where one car was abandoned. Handled it with ease.
Hi Sean,
What size of wheels have you on and what is the brand of winter tyres are you using?

Hi Sean,
What size of wheels have you on and what is the brand of winter tyres are you using?
Hi Bob

Wheels are 17” and the tyres are 235/55R17 103V (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4).

Very impressed.

We live at 1000ft in the English Pennines and it was very slippy this morning.
DSG, 4motion, hill descent control and winter tyres were great. As others say you can put it into manual but I’ve never had to.

It’s descending our steep track that is the most challenging, that’s where hill descent control is a massive benefit. If it coasts then just touch the accelerator or brake and it will go into first.

If sheet ice I’ve used snow socks for quite a few years. They are fantastic. In England it’s very rare that you are travelling on enough snow to warrant chains.

We live at 1000ft in the English Pennines and it was very slippy this morning.
DSG, 4motion, hill descent control and winter tyres were great. As others say you can put it into manual but I’ve never had to.

It’s descending our steep track that is the most challenging, that’s where hill descent control is a massive benefit. If it coasts then just touch the accelerator or brake and it will go into first.

If sheet ice I’ve used snow socks for quite a few years. They are fantastic. In England it’s very rare that you are travelling on enough snow to warrant chains.

I was probably quite close to you this morning, going to Diggle first then Delph. Quite a lot of snow and no problems at all descending a steep track to my Brother in Law's farm.

Now shod with all seasons, Michelin Cross Climate and they performed superbly. A pair of snow socks in the boot for that "just in case"......

Title now changed from DSC to DSG ....confusing...

Never driven in the snow with my DSG doh...

Wow, so my worries were baseless! Good job, just paid a deposit on a 4motion DSG! Thanks to everyone for their input/advice. I'm sure I'll be back soon for more advice on everything else!

Where's the hill descent button then?!
I know something kicks in to hold the gears low going downhill but I am thinking that hill descent is different.

Hill descent control is an optional extra. It uses the anti lock brakes to keep the van slow when in first gear. Not sure what the speed setting is on the transporter but it’s lower than engine braking in first gear would give you. It’s a button on the dashboard.

I’ve got it on my Yeti and previously on land rovers.

2-wd DSG with the factory fit all weather tyres and I've not had a problem during the recent snowy conditions - either use manual or S-mode (no coasting, longer gears) rather than D.
That said, no alpine conditions ⛄

Back