Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG/4motion Snow driving/tyre/gear selection advice please! Winters coming!!

Birty

Birty

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Trying to think ahead just incase we have a white out..... How should I use my 4motion/DSG box in snow/ice.. Select Manual I assume??? Then treat as normal box or just leave in auto?? Struggling to find any informative articles/Youtube vid's on the subject!! (My, new to me, 2017 T6 is fitted with Goodyear Cargo Vector 2 all season.. M+S 215/50R17C)

Last edited:
Limited driving in snow/ice but found that the DSG took care of gear selection very well, concentrate on accelerator feather touch to avoid wheel spin. I was still on summer tyres then and although lots of evidence that cars had been skidding up the hill until coming to a standstill before giving up before I got there I just went up as if a summers day and was able to join the main road through the drift of snow pushed there by the snowploughs with no problem, I had to do a stop start which had me very worried about getting going again into traffic.
Downhill would be best in manual to keep speed down and off the brakes.

I live at the top of a steep track in the Pennines. I use DSG for going up with hill descent control engaged in case I have to reverse anywhere. DSG gear change is much smoother and it’s one less thing to worry about.

Going down, if bad, I put it in manual just to get the confidence that it will stay in first, although you can achieve this in DSG if you know what you are doing. It’s going down that is scary on our track, don’t touch the brakes!

I do have winter tyres and wouldn’t be without them.

The 4motion and DSG will take care of everything for you, as said above just be gentle with the throttle.

As a general reminder to all with 4motion/4x4, it affords extra grip and traction under acceleration and cornering, as soon as you start braking it’s the same as any other vehicle, braking distance braking distance braking distance!

Just last year in my truck I got overtaken 2x by big dog in his 4x4 (I obviously got overtaken a lot more than 2x), only to see one in a ditch a mile up the road and the other buried the back of some poor old dear. Just sit back, chill out and enjoy the varying display of mentality others will put on for you.

Back