Ocean Spirit

Ocean Spirit

Eating Ice Cream, skimming stones.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The reason for my question is this...
My car is an automatic, it's my 1st one but it's been so nice to drive I vowed I'd never return to a manual. Then I hired a T6 for a week and that was DSG. Another good experience.

Prior to these 2 events I would probably have sworn by a manual box for driving input that I have since learned I can do with out.
So ideally, I'm looking for a used Cali with DSG but on a new one its a hefty mark up. Whilst I'm sure that the older the used van for sale, the less mark up for DSG there will be, I want to go as new as possible.
It's another decision to make that will effect long term enjoyment.
Anybody owned both ?

The one thing I would change on mine would be to have DSG. Had it on audi's and vw's before and have it on my other car. Went for a used Cali 204 manual with adaptive cruise control and it's a pretty good compromise but I would still prefer an auto if I had the choice.

You'll love it whatever you buy though :thumb

Not getting DSG is my biggest regret, I was too tight to pay they extra as I thought I could live with manual, however after having a loan DSG Caravelle I realise I made a big mistake :(

Also when we bought our 1st Cali in 2012 I found just what we wanted but it had DSG which was not on my list but went for it. Never looked back and on Cali number 2 in was a must.
Only down side is the oil change on it every 3 or 4 years (can not recall off the top of my head at moment the time line)

I have a very old automatic Land Rover Discovery.

Mrs has a manual VW Polo.

We now have a DSG California.

We have just returned form the South of France and the California has just completed 3,000 miles.

If I had to return to the South of France tomorrow, or even if I wanted to go somewhere in the UK or even locally, there is no doubt that I prefer the DSG of the California.

And that is a difficult decision, because I am a great fan of the Land Rover.

Now a new DSG in the old Land Rover would be a great combination!

+1 for DSG , always had manual cars in 25y driving and DSG is great and relax driving.

Goodness, all that manual gear box shifting .... I could chip my nails :shocked

I hired a manual for a week. It was hell for me but then I hadn't driven a manual for about 30 years.

DSG gearbox should be option 1 if you have one you will love it if you have not got it you will regret it
also has manual shift never use it
flappy paddles never use it
sports mode I'm retied never in that much of a hurry

If you are happy driving an auto car then DSG is probably for you. I love the manual gearbox and if I was buying again and had another couple of grand I would probably choose 4WD over DSG.

I drive about 22,000 miles a year but my preference is manual. I like driving and dislike dsg which I have owned but never liked. Good thing we are all different and can choose what we want.
Just out of interest what do you not like about DSG?

Sorry to disagree but DSG didn't work for me. Sold it and got a manual. All personal preference so you need to try both for a reasonable period, using it as you intend to, and decide what is right for you.

Last edited:
We had a manual California and now have a DSG, it really makes the miles so much easier and after all its a camper so more miles is what we do, definitely a much more relaxed drive, for us anyway.

One small point from a practical point of view, DSG makes turning the drivers seat a lot easier too, as you can put the DSG in park and take off the handbrake which blocks the seat from rotating when on, with the manual gearbox this was much more complex an operation, particularly if you had the front wheels up on levelling ramps, We have had many a comical moment with the manual Cali as I stood outside with my leg through an open drivers door to put my foot on the brake pedal while someone else let the handbrake off and rotated the seat, why ?? you cant drive the cali up on the ramps with the seat already rotated, and if you let the handbrake off even with it in gear it will roll back down a good bit :)

We had a manual California and now have a DSG, it really makes the miles so much easier and after all its a camper so more miles is what we do, definitely a much more relaxed drive, for us anyway.

One small point from a practical point of view, DSG makes turning the drivers seat a lot easier too, as you can put the DSG in park and take off the handbrake which blocks the seat from rotating when on, with the manual gearbox this was much more complex an operation, particularly if you had the front wheels up on levelling ramps, We have had many a comical moment with the manual Cali as I stood outside with my leg through an open drivers door to put my foot on the brake pedal while someone else let the handbrake off and rotated the seat, why ?? you cant drive the cali up on the ramps with the seat already rotated, and if you let the handbrake off even with it in gear it will roll back down a good bit :)
Time for an automatic handbrake I reckon.