Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG struggles on slope when cold. SOLVED

Skewif

Skewif

It’s not what you have, it's where you wake up.
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
When setting off from cold parked on a slope especially when trying to reverse up hill (as higher gearing) my 2013 DSG would often fail to allow the engine to rev enough before engaging. Even using full throttle it would only rev a little, try to engage, not move, then it would give up and repeat. Letting it idle for a couple of minutes or pushing the brake to engage hill hold sometimes helped but a few times it's taken at least 30 seconds to get the van to move. VW dealer were no help and avoided the issue twice when I asked them to look into it at service. I mentioned this to my ex VW indy tech that I now use and he said it's a known issue and there is a DSG software update. Back to VW, £35 and problem solved. Just thought I'd post incase anyone else ever has the same issue.

Do you happen to know what the software update is called or numbered please?

Was it an actual software update or a DSG reset actuation that was performed?

I've of the later to successfully reset the DSG.

Do you happen to know what the software update is called or numbered please?

Was it an actual software update or a DSG reset actuation that was performed?

I've of the later to successfully reset the DSG.
Sorry don't know the details of the update. It was only a software update to the latest version presumably replacing the when built version. I have asked around about having the DSG reset / re-learn thing done but was put off. My guy said had done it a few times at VW but results unpredictable with some boxes revving too high before changing gear etc. Not a risk I'm willing to take or need to now all sorted. Why do you feel yours might need it?

When setting off from cold parked on a slope especially when trying to reverse up hill (as higher gearing) my 2013 DSG would often fail to allow the engine to rev enough before engaging. Even using full throttle it would only rev a little, try to engage, not move, then it would give up and repeat. Letting it idle for a couple of minutes or pushing the brake to engage hill hold sometimes helped but a few times it's taken at least 30 seconds to get the van to move. VW dealer were no help and avoided the issue twice when I asked them to look into it at service. I mentioned this to my ex VW indy tech that I now use and he said it's a known issue and there is a DSG software update. Back to VW, £35 and problem solved. Just thought I'd post incase anyone else ever has the same issue.
I have the same issue, just put it down a DSG quirk ... looks like I'll be following you up the road!! Another Thumbs up for Tom!

Interesting, two 2013 models with the same problem.
As a matter of interest were these vehicles first registered in the 1st or 2nd half of 2013?

As a matter of interest were these vehicles first registered in the 1st or 2nd half of 2013?
2nd half for me

March 2013 for me

I have the same issue, just put it down a DSG quirk ... looks like I'll be following you up the road!! Another Thumbs up for Tom!
I tolerated it as a quirk but was far more concerned about the shock to the next owner when their new joy won't move on starting. After talking to Tom then going to VW trying to explain what I wanted and why I did find them rather hard work. They even asked to have the van for a day or two! In the end I just asked them to see if there was an update for the box and if so upload it. The issue hasn't happen since so hope the £35 has put it to bed.

So possibly affecting MY 2013 and 2014 vehicles.

mine is a 2011 and struggles reversing off the drive 1st thing! Always serviced at vw so why no update done? Assuming thats the issue?

mine is a 2011 and struggles reversing off the drive 1st thing! Always serviced at vw so why no update done? Assuming thats the issue?
Not something that’s checked at service I was told. Only if issues with box do they update to see if it fixes. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it kind of thinking I suppose.

My 2013 does the same - anyone else know any more details - i.e what to ask for when I go in. is this the whole engine software or something specific too the DSG?

My 2013 does the same - anyone else know any more details - i.e what to ask for when I go in. is this the whole engine software or something specific too the DSG?
I believe it is just the software for the DSG that gets updated. Just ask them to update the gearbox software and explain the issue. When I went in they didn't have a clue what I was talking about but did it anyway after I persisted. All still working fine.

My daughters 2015 Polo dsg had some real issues, really jerky wheel spinning on our gravel drive unless extreme care was taken with the go pedal.
Vw simply said it needed a new dsg box ! I had the gear box reset at an independent garage ( Bognor Motors) and the car was like new again.
I also have a Porsche Macan GTS, again after 18 months the gear changes between 1/2/3 were very jerky at low speeds. After 3 days at Porsche dealership and several chats with the dealer principle who thought I could be sweetened with a valet ! I removed the car and was about to contact another dealer. I read on a Porsche forum re a PDK reset which seemed like a bit of a joke at 1st, lots of starting/turning off switches on/ off etc a 15 minute wait and hey presto the car drives like new again. Why Porsche could not have done this I still do not know :mad:

I believe it is just the software for the DSG that gets updated. Just ask them to update the gearbox software and explain the issue. When I went in they didn't have a clue what I was talking about but did it anyway after I persisted. All still working fine.
Just wondered if you have the contact details for who fixed yours, rather than me having to convince another mechanic?

There is a DSG drivability software upgrade being offered by TVS dealers. I know a number of users who are raving about how good this is.
I'm having mine done later in the month.

There is a DSG drivability software upgrade being offered by TVS dealers. I know a number of users who are raving about how good this is.
Thanks Loz

Can you provide more details please?

Just wondered if you have the contact details for who fixed yours, rather than me having to convince another mechanic?
My local ex VW mechanic (SCS Sussex) told me about the software update but you can only get it done at VW apparently. I took my van to SMG Cowfold VW garage where they uploaded it after I insisted.

Early 2013 180 DSG similar symptoms as above ( delayed uptake in reverse on hill)
In my ignorance I thought it was a characteristic of the transmission
always ready on the handbrake if it doesn’t go right!

Early 2013 180 DSG similar symptoms as above ( delayed uptake in reverse on hill)
In my ignorance I thought it was a characteristic of the transmission
always ready on the handbrake if it doesn’t go right!
The software made no difference to the delayed uptake in reverse up a hill on mine. Think it is just a common characteristic of the transmission. The update was to fix being completely unable to move even with the throttle pushed to the floor when cold.

Please report back.
Would love to know if some of the quirks could be ironed out...

Please report back.
Would love to know if some of the quirks could be ironed out...
I certainly will, but have a read here in the meantime.