Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dumped by Side of M1

Bad luck. What's the problem?

Mike

Not sure - waiting for VW technician to turn up. Something electrical ? Battery light came on first and steering got very heavy then all the warning lights came on and lost power and coasted onto hard shoulder.

It seems the alternator belt had come off as the wrong one had been fitted at the factory and was too wide so over time one side had shredded. Think will stick with my old Porsches - they never do this stuff to me.

It seems the alternator belt had come off as the wrong one had been fitted at the factory and was too wide so over time one side had shredded. Think will stick with my old Porsches - they never do this stuff to me.
Misbuilt engine! I know its minor compared to what could have gone wrong but still. Could have been the cam belt!! Wow, that's a bit of a worry. Hope your all sorted now.

Have to wonder then if a batch of engines had the wrong belts fitted? Hopefully not, but if might be useful if, when you get a chance, you post your Cali month of manufacture?

Meanwhile, commiserations on a spoiled weekend.

Have to wonder then if a batch of engines had the wrong belts fitted? Hopefully not, but if might be useful if, when you get a chance, you post your Cali month of manufacture?

Meanwhile, commiserations on a spoiled weekend.
Yes, of course will post the details and any updates get from VW. To be honest this has been a terrible process right from the buying experience to odd niggles through to missing parts and now the wrong part. Because they don't have the exact belt and I need to be one the move they are fitting a temporary belt but because it is not the right belt - therefore not under the warranty they are (to add insult to injury) charging me for it!

Hello RT Woodstock,

Sorry to learn about your breakdown. The same thing has happened to my 2015 Cali, once in the Uk and once in France. Having complained and got nowhere with VW I wrote to all VW directors at Milton Keynes HQ. Only then did I get to speak with a grown up. VW confirmed the problem is not the belt as they first thought in 2015. My new belt only lasted 10,000 miles. The problem is to do one or more of the tensioner, alternator pulley and power steering pump pulley. VW change all those items on my van. VW gave me a free services and a voucher for two new tyres as compensation.Make sure you are not fobbed off with a simple belt change as this will not fix the problem. Call me direct if you wish on 07798 931475.

Hello RT Woodstock,

Sorry to learn about your breakdown. The same thing has happened to my 2015 Cali, once in the Uk and once in France. Having complained and got nowhere with VW I wrote to all VW directors at Milton Keynes HQ. Only then did I get to speak with a grown up. VW confirmed the problem is not the belt as they first thought in 2015. My new belt only lasted 10,000 miles. The problem is to do one or more of the tensioner, alternator pulley and power steering pump pulley. VW change all those items on my van. VW gave me a free services and a voucher for two new tyres as compensation.Make sure you are not fobbed off with a simple belt change as this will not fix the problem. Call me direct if you wish on 07798 931475.
Skoda have a TPI for EA 288 engines that cover this problem. Apparently owners have reported squeeks and squeals coming from the accessory belt. From what I remember all belts, pulleys and tensioners are being changed for a new design.

Back