Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Duvalay as replacement for upper mattress

MeltedGoldfish

MeltedGoldfish

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Has anyone tried a Duvalay mattress topper (Comfort or FreshTec - both 5cm deep, same as standard mattress thickness) as a complete replacement for the standard upper mattress? And if so, how did you get on? Looking for something a bit softer than the standard factory one.

(I've been looking at the Zonesleep Ultra replacement on the club shop but they're out of stock. Duvalay can custom-make one in 14 days and are about half the price. As far as I can tell, the foam "toppers" and "mattresses" are essentially made of the same stuff, it's just the thickness that varies. I've been reading all the old threads about the advantages/disadvantages of additional toppers vs replacements vs self-inflating mattresses (like the Sea to Summit one) vs Duvalays etc, but hadn't seen anyone mention this and wondered if it was an option).

Cheers.

I haven’t tried the Duvalay but have heard good reports on them. When I comes to comfort I guess it’s different for all. I have found over the years the VW, Comfort so painful to sleep on. Last summer I came across the Sea to Summit and informed the forum of how wonderful they are. Very easy to use, store and so comfortable. Difficult to get your hands on one at present.

Thanks @Blueeyedboy. I've been following a few posts on the Sea to Summit one and looks like a good option (I have found at least one place with stock). Has the advantage of being able to use downstairs too (we currently have nothing, but only sleep downstairs in high winds). At the moment I'm put off a little by having to inflate/deflate it each time we raise/close the roof (hence preferring a straight replacement and no topper) and have to get over the memories of our not-so-comfortable inflatable mattress when camping!

You're right that comfort is very personal, just makes it difficult to choose such an expensive item! We hired a Cali before buying our, and that was fine. It was a newer van but had far more use than the one we eventually bought (which I don't think had been slept in upstairs). Currently have the mattress as a topper on our bed at home to see if we can 'break it in' a little or get used to it. Just means I'm not uncomfortable at home as well as in the van :talktothehand

Back