Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Duvet Sleeping Bag Hybrid

S

Solis

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Any suggestions re. Duvet/sleeping bag hybrid. Gone are the days of squeezing myself into a mummy shaped sleeping bag far to claustrophobic nowadays. The outwell constellation is a good reference for what I require. Like the flexibility and warmth rating, however it appears a tad heavy and chunky. Any recommendations as to warm, non cacooned, lightweight, packable, comfortable, washable duvet/sleeping bag? Is a duvet quite frankly the best option? Thanks.

If there's two of you. I find a duvet the best option as it allows me to get out for a wee without too much disturbance and allows my partner to uncover (hot flushes) without me freezing.
Also there's the flexibility of different togs for different times of the year.

Coming from camping to the Cali we started off with using the sleeping bags (big square one not coffin shaped ones). soon found we used it unzipped so it became a duvet my default. Soon replaced with a king sized duvet for the van. Packs into a stuff sack - Dedicated van duvet works for us.

Vango do a great range - available at go outdoors. I have one, but i cant remember the model name sorry. :headbang

Go for a posh king sized down duvet, packs down really small and is as warm as the man made alternatives, use a decent mattress topper and you will sleep just as well as at home.

I looked up the Constellation but if it has any unique points, it seems that Outwell can’t be bothered to point them out. I thought this post was going to be a discussion about duvalays which are a hybrid of the two ideas.

Our summer duvet 4.5 tog (and my pyjamas) squish into the roof cavity.
a47abe68e6eae51766b4b85513c8fafe.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I guess everyone has their own preferred option. We use the ancient old cotton sleeping bags we bought in the early 2000s in Argos when we had no money and we spent a lot of time tenting - two singles zipped together to make a double. If it's brass monkeys, we have an old Ikea bedspread we put on top. They could pack up small if we wanted (we still have the original stuff sacks), but as there is so much room in the Cali we just bung them into clear Ikea laundry-style bags and store them behind the back seat. I think the snug padded feel of the sleeping bag is nice underneath my bod, and wouldn't want just a sheet over the mattresses in the Cali. But that's just me :)

I guess everyone has their own preferred option. We use the ancient old cotton sleeping bags we bought in the early 2000s in Argos when we had no money and we spent a lot of time tenting - two singles zipped together to make a double. If it's brass monkeys, we have an old Ikea bedspread we put on top. They could pack up small if we wanted (we still have the original stuff sacks), but as there is so much room in the Cali we just bung them into clear Ikea laundry-style bags and store them behind the back seat. I think the snug padded feel of the sleeping bag is nice underneath my bod, and wouldn't want just a sheet over the mattresses in the Cali. But that's just me :)

I am with you, Verity - I have an Oztent Rivergum sleeping bag. I sleep in the liner and use the outer shell as a duvet to pull over when cold.

Thanks for your responses. I’m swaying now towards a snug down duvet for both upstairs and downstairs. A trip to JL I think. Re. Size, Is the assumption double for both correct?

We also have an awning, outwell scenic road 300sa with inner. In your opinion what would be the best comfortable and warm sleep combo I.e. duvet, sleeping bag, sleep mat, camp bed?! Thanks.

Thanks for your responses. I’m swaying now towards a snug down duvet for both upstairs and downstairs. A trip to JL I think. Re. Size, Is the assumption double for both correct?

We also have an awning, outwell scenic road 300sa with inner. In your opinion what would be the best comfortable and warm sleep combo I.e. duvet, sleeping bag, sleep mat, camp bed?! Thanks.
The beds are approx. 2 m long so a UK double is normally a bit short, the king size duvet will be long enough and the extra width can be lost up the sides etc.

We're big fans of the Duvalay hybrids.

They roll up very easily (we've got the bags with them in our set) and you can swap out the quilts. They have a memory foam base and the covers are polycotton and go through the wash no bother. You can turn one inside out so that the two open sides are next to each other to make a double bed.

If it's freezing and we're up top we may throw a rug over but otherwise snug and very comfy.

They aren't cheap but we did pick a couple of spares up on eBay. Handy for sleepover teenagers as well!

I bought a Duvalay and it was swiftly sold. They are expensive and the fabric material is horrible and cheap. Personally i am not a fan of memory foam. It was also too small and claustrophobic. In the end it is a matter of opinion but I wouldn’t buy Duvalay. Too expensive and cheap materials.

Back