Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

duvet under rooftop

tanne

tanne

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
can i leave a 1 pers duvet ( feathers) under the closed rooftop ?

can i leave a 1 pers duvet ( feathers) under the closed rooftop ?
The front of the bed has about 2 inches of clearance with the standard mattress. Towards the rear, there is just about an inch space. The width available is just about 6-8 inches to each side from the centre of the roof.

If you think the duvet will compress to less than that size/space, then go for it. However, usually duvets don't compress, so the safe answer would be a no.

we carefully tested that, and no you can’t. Try sliding your hand on top of the mattress with the roof down, you will see how tight it is.

edit: I forget, we have a slightly thicker memory foam mattress so that's why we can't.

Last edited:
We leave a good quality down kingsize duvet, carefully folded in half longways, up there. It is fine. It’s up there semi permanently, and has been for five years.

Synthetic would be a define no, and also poorer quality feather might not compress.

We leave a good quality down kingsize duvet, carefully folded in half longways, up there. It is fine. It’s up there semi permanently, and has been for five years.

Synthetic would be a define no, and also poorer quality feather might not compress.

That's really interesting to know. I note that @tanne has an Ocean. Does the Beach roof have a bit more leeway being manual?

Even with the thinnest summer duvet it’s still a definite NO with the electric roof. It’s different in the manual roof because it’s actually you that is lowering the roof an not a powerful hydraulic motor. I personally would not take the risk in either roof.

we carefully tested that, and no you can’t. Try sliding your hand on top of the mattress with the roof down, you will see how tight it is.

edit: I forget, we have a slightly thicker memory foam mattress so that's why we can't.
Which memory foam mattress do you use Loz? You replaced the VW one? We find it pretty hard up there...

and btw: thnx to all who wrote not to do it,
i am just wondering what's the experience from who actually -carefully - tried it out

i am just wondering what's the experience from who actually -carefully - tried it out
See post 11 on this thread : )

And post 12 on this one

I think it’s up to you to try it out.

If you want to get some idea of the thickness of your compressed duvet squeeze it between your thumb and index finger.

Also see if you can easily slide your hand in the gap between the roof and mattress with the roof closed. Slide it side to side to feel the difference at the edges.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz

I have checked.

The duvet we stow in the roof cavity is a 3.5 tog summer duvet. It could be attached to a 7 tog spring/autumn duvet making a 10.5 tog winter duvet, but only the thin summer duvet, folded lengthways, goes in the roof cavity.

Its 7 tog partner was destroyed in a terrifying fire in Palermo, Sicily in December 2017. We were spending Christmas in a farmhouse outside Palermo. The house had no central heating, just a gas fire with its own self-contained bottle. While I was unpacking the van (duvet first cos that’s on top) and Clare’s attention was elsewhere, the boys (2 & 3) bundled themselves into the duvet in front of the fire!!! It could have been disastrous, but fortunately only the duvet and its cover was destroyed, and no child was harmed in any way.

a 75mm Trusleep one but I do like the combo ones that have memory foam and air mesh.
Like the zonesleep ones? We use one downstairs on top of the ‘comfort’ mattress and it’s good - still firm and I’m not sure the comfort mattress is necessary in addition.
I see there’s a zonesleep replacement for the upstairs in the shop, but says it’s not suitable for the 6.1. I wonder why, and if anyone’s got a great suggestion for a replacement mattress (or topper) that can be left on the upper bed?

I did this with an Ocean.
No roof damage thank god but although the system said the roof was closed the front end was “open“ by about a 1 to 2 cm. No way would I have driven and clearly significant stress had been placed on the roof and mechanism.
Never to be attempted again I was very lucky not to bend/crease the roof.
NB standard mattress and Ikea feather duvet 10 TOG

Last edited:
if it scrunched up at the back on lowering it will crease the roof. so NO. but why would you ?i just chuck it up there along with pillows and lift up the bed once parked up so it's not really in the way

Just bought an ISO top can that be left in the roof when closed?