E scooters

• Thread starter Peter Guiton Cali
  • Start date
P

Peter Guiton Cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Thinking of getting 2 foldable e scooters which will fit in the van , as opposed to a bike rack on the back.has anyone got experience of these , can they be charged up through the van or electric hook up

Thinking of getting 2 foldable e scooters which will fit in the van , as opposed to a bike rack on the back.has anyone got experience of these , can they be charged up through the van or electric hook up
Yes they can be charged on Mains Hookup. Charging from the Leisure Batteries? Possibly , but at a cost either in equipment or battery life or both.
At the moment private e-scooters are illegal on public roads/cycle tracks etc in the UK and I gather some campsites have banned them. I think in the EU the rules are variable.

Think you’ll be surprised how heavy e scooters are, non electric bikes are much lighter.
As WG says they’re illegal on public roads, if caught you can end up with a £300 fine, and 6 points on your licence, even if you don’t have a licence yet. I think they’re great, but the law doesn’t agree yet.

Should be illegal until infrastructure is built to accommodate them.
We have them on campus and they’re left everywhere all over pavements, blocking bus stops and shop entrances.
Bloody nuisance….

We have a new trade partner @Moose Electric Bikes

As well as buying and selling pre-owned E-Bikes they are affiliated with the largest online E-scooter supplier. I am sure they can offer some advice.

(notwithstanding the legality issues raised by others) While a scooter is more portable, they are only suitable for very flat surfaces due to wheel size. They cannot be ridden on the road, so you are limited to well prepared cycle lanes and pavements in countries where they are legal. This limits their usefulness for me. Most cities that allow scooters have hire/rental services. The number of times you need your own might be very small.

Hi Peter

Thanks for the introduction @GrannyJen!

We would recommend it would be best to look at scooters with at least a 500w motor due to the increased hill climb ability over lower-powered models.

Tyre size and waterproofing are also essential in the UK. We favour the Pure Electric range of scooters that fill all of these criteria. Let us know if you needed any help with advice :D.

Moose

We have two foldable e bikes which we carry inside the van, secured with d-rings. They charge on the ehu, we took them to France where the electric on campsites Is lower amp and it was fine, we really enjoyed having them.

Edit: sorry, I realise you are asking about e scooters, just wanted to say in terms of space a couple of foldable bikes fit well and are easy to charge.

Last edited:
Shame seen loads of these on the roads in Italy, France and Switzerland and the users seemed more courteous / considerate than your average UK cyclist - wish they were legal over here as they "seem" a great mode of transport

Should be illegal until infrastructure is built to accommodate them.
We have them on campus and they’re left everywhere all over pavements, blocking bus stops and shop entrances.
Bloody nuisance….

Infrastructure like roads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure these will be legal soon. We have them all across the city where I live and after the predictable early grumbles, they are accepted and part of the transport mix. They are great fun and a highly efficient way of getting around.

I suspect all these trials of hire-scooters are simply to ease us in gently as we tend to be irrationally hostile to new things. Of course you get the occasional anti-social user but nothing like on the scale (or danger) or antisocial car drivers.

Some people have been caught out by drinking regs, not realise that the drinking laws do apply to e-scooters.

The other issue is the number of e-scooter battery fires. There’s talk of rules coming in, banning the storage or e-bike and scooters from high rise buildings after 28 fires from them last year just within London.
The potential of another Grenfell is worrying.

As suitable as a e-bike/ bike from when i seen them used ....

How they’re ridden, used and the job they perform are different.
The fact they’re completely motorised is a big difference, and I don’t think they should be ridden on pavements and mixed with general traffic due to their small wheels and lack of stability, hence why a separate infrastructure should be built to accommodate them.
I’m not opposed to them, but I do believe some thoughts into ownership and usage needs to be addressed.

How they’re ridden, used and the job they perform are different.
The fact they’re completely motorised is a big difference, and I don’t think they should be ridden on pavements and mixed with general traffic due to their small wheels and lack of stability, hence why a separate infrastructure should be built to accommodate them.
I’m not opposed to them, but I do believe some thoughts into ownership and usage needs to be addressed.
When i have seen them used successfully they have been used as bicycles ... perhaps there needs to be a minimum criteria as per bikes for UK road usage but that could and should be done easily - more details here https://swiftyscooters.com/blogs/journal/how-safe-are-electric-scooters-reality-check

When i have seen them used successfully they have been used as bicycles ... perhaps there needs to be a minimum criteria as per bikes for UK road usage but that could and should be done easily - more details here https://swiftyscooters.com/blogs/journal/how-safe-are-electric-scooters-reality-check

Good read.
We need to be careful about categorising scooters as a bicycle.
They’re not bicycles and as such need their own rules and regulations. Absolutely 100%, they should have liability insurance along with identification, registration and certification for their usage and a minimum age. 16 would be a fair start.

I would argue that this should also apply to cyclists / or anything that uses a public road /highways : "they should have liability insurance along with identification, registration and certification" or at the very least liability insurance

What is good for one should be good for the other. Many bikes / cyclists travel at far faster speeds then e-scooters and at speeds that were not really envisaged when they first took to the roads. I don't see why e-scooters should be really treated different from bikes and especially e-bikes - certification and liability insurance should probably apply to both

Last edited:
Yes they can be charged on Mains Hookup. Charging from the Leisure Batteries? Possibly , but at a cost either in equipment or battery life or both.
At the moment private e-scooters are illegal on public roads/cycle tracks etc in the UK and I gather some campsites have banned them. I think in the EU the rules are variable.
Thanks for your help

We have two foldable e bikes which we carry inside the van, secured with d-rings. They charge on the ehu, we took them to France where the electric on campsites Is lower amp and it was fine, we really enjoyed having them.

Edit: sorry, I realise you are asking about e scooters, just wanted to say in terms of space a couple of foldable bikes fit well and are easy to charge.
Thankyou so much e bikes might be the way forward for us I think cheers

Me and Mrs just spent a few days scooting around Sevilla on e-scooters, absolute genius and great fun. They’re parked all over the city, you scan one with your phone, jump on, scoot around and drop them off when you get where you’re going. Cheap, easy and great fun. Very popular over here, locals seem to love them. Seems crazy not to adopt these in the uk.

Agree! I’ve seen them in several European cities. But they are getting established in the U.K. We've had them for a while here in York and they’re very popular - the predictable apoplexy for a week or two soon settled. They seem to be used a lot by tourists to the city and I’m sure some are camper-owners.

Of course they’re not risk free, nothing is… but they pose a far lower risk to others than speeding SUVs etc.

A great addition to the transport mix in cities.

Me and Mrs just spent a few days scooting around Sevilla on e-scooters, absolute genius and great fun. They’re parked all over the city, you scan one with your phone, jump on, scoot around and drop them off when you get where you’re going. Cheap, easy and great fun. Very popular over here, locals seem to love them. Seems crazy not to adopt these in the uk.
Cycle paths everywhere in Seville which the scooters also use. Not so in the UK.