Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Earth Shunt (again)

Andresz

Andresz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 HighTop
I recently bought a 2007 California. My concern is fact that heater shuts down without a reason erratically, the capacity often goes immediately from 100 to 90 and later quickly to 70-60 %. the control panel does flicker but only in the initial stage of heating. I replaced the AGM batteries, no improvement. The Amps in the initial period goes often to -15 or - 20, is it normal ?. The panel flickers together with the low amps being displayed.
As a work-around, I made an improvised additional earth connection between the under-seat baterry's earth lead and a bold in the floor. That made the Amps close to 0 without much of variations, which made me worrying that I have done something wrong, so disconeccted the improvised earthing quicly, without really testing it.

My questions are:
- is it normal that the amps goes -15 and - 20 at the beginning of heating ?, is it normal that panel is flickering at the time?.
- are the earth leads of both auxiliary batteries connected through an electronic circuit or directly ?
- did anybody try to exercise an additional earth connection to confirm/ exclude the earth shunt problem? If yes, does it matter which battery is to make the earthing on?

Thank you from Poland

Can't answer all your questions, but I know that when the heater starts up there is a BIG current draw then when it is running the current draw drops dramatically.

Thanks Andy, is the LCD flickering at the time of big current draw?

Andresz said:

I don't recall the panel flickering on mine during high current draw periods but the interior lights do.

I had the earth shunt done on mine earlier this year whilst under warranty as my heater was a bit erratic when not on hook up.

I think a flickering panel is a sign of an earth shunt issue. I've never looked in the vip section as i'm too tight to pay my membership :lol: but there's a earth shunt fix walk through in there i think?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Freelay
I replaced the internal lights to LEDs, and therefore they do not flickering, no matter what (I thing they have a condenser build in), but perhaps only for a test I will replace one of them back to halogen bulb. I know that there is the instruction available of how to address the bad shunt issue, I just want to make sure that it is really necessary before I go for it.

I seemed to have a problem when I first bought mine after a good charge up on mains hookup
It seemed to make it better since then no problems :thumb

Freeley said:
Andresz said:

I don't recall the panel flickering on mine during high current draw periods but the interior lights do.

I had the earth shunt done on mine earlier this year whilst under warranty as my heater was a bit erratic when not on hook up.

I think a flickering panel is a sign of an earth shunt issue. I've never looked in the vip section as i'm too tight to pay my membership :lol: but there's a earth shunt fix walk through in there i think?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with Freeley this is a typical symptom of a earth shunt problem and you need to download the fix from our downloads section. :thumb

John

Thanks you all
One more thing:, is the LCD panel glow not flickering anymore after the repair, even in the high current draw situations?

Hello, does anybody know where to buy the bad Earh Shunt repair kit? . Is it made by VW or independent company?. If made by VW, what is the part number ?

An update

I did the Earth Shunt repair myself.
Well, I did not have much of a choice, as 2 different VW services in France, where I am based, said that they never heard about the bad shunt issue.

The repair was quite smooth. The only scaring moment was when the fridge malfunction alarm occurred on the central panel. I was not sure if that was fuse blown, or the electronic panel of the fridge blown...., in the end it was enough to press the "level-up" button for 5 seconds to clear the error.

Now nothing is flickering anymore, neither the internal lights nor the panel glow. And there was the rust on the 6 mm bolt which is suppose to deliver 30 Amps current ... It is very obvious that this will not work for high current in humid environment. The stock bolt is too small and made of different steel than the car chassis, so electrolysis reaction is inevitable sooner or later. The repair involves an additional thick lead to be tightened to the unused seat belt threat under the fridge.

So, in case somebody is not sure if the repair was, or was not, made in his van, it is enough to remove the cover inside the cupboard under the sink, and see if there is a bolt with cable installed into the free seatbelt threat under the fridge, on the wheel arch.

Heating is stable now. However, there is fast battery capacity drain, down to 50% within 1st hour, but voltage remain stable on 12.5V level and heating keeps running.
I think there is a learning curve for the central panel in reference to the incoming and outgoing Amperes to evaluate the battery capacity. The panel was powered off, so now it is learning, I assume.
If not that would mean problems with batteries themselves.

Andresz,

Great job sounds like you have sorted your problem.

It just poses the question of why VW are not carrying out these modifications. The faults are caused by the bad design of the earth connection to the earth shunt. ;)

IMHO VW should be taking responsibility for this problem and rectifying it. :thumb

John

John said:
Andresz,

Great job sounds like you have sorted your problem.

It just poses the question of why VW are not carrying out these modifications. The faults are caused by the bad design of the earth connection to the earth shunt. ;)

IMHO VW should be taking responsibility for this problem and rectifying it. :thumb

John

Yes John, for me this is obvious: VW should repair it free of charge, even after the warranty period. But what do you do if the winter is coming and VW representative in the French Headquaters states that the problem does not exist ?, I did it by myself in place of endless and hopeless chatting with VW. The Polish way.

That explains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVuNrNuRJM0

:laugh2

John said:

Yes John, quite funny. And even more funny for Polish ears, as none of the words they say have to do with Polish language, well they have probably nothing to do with any language in the world, except the words "Solidarity, Gdansk, Walesa" pronounced with very bad Russian accent, acquired probably whilst watching James Bond movies.

Like the video...

I have a VW California 2006 (early version) with just this problem... my local garage just looked dumb at the mention of SHUNT...

However, I have looked at the recommended part, seen the wheel arch bolt position under the fridge... BUT have not yet located the SHUNT.

As I have two Aux batteries the information I have gained indicates that it should be under the front passenger seat (one Aux Battery types - its under the fridge)... but in the mass of wires I cannot locate it. Clearly it needs the patch but can someone direct me to exactly where! Frustrated :headbang

Derek I have sent you an email :thumb

The shunt is under the fridge. Not visible before removal of the fridge. the patch goes from the shunt to the empty seat belt hole in the wheel arch.

Thanks for the speedy response... I now have an interesting task!!! :?

I have updated the earlier information about repair kit with the battery fuse to be replaced also.

Besides:
I recommend you to disconnect both batteries before carrying out the work. You will power-off everything anyway, whilst un-screwing the earth connection of the shunt, but disconnecting shunt is more uncontrolled than disconnecting the battery first, and involves risk of damaging of the central panel due to sudden voltage variations.
Remember to disconnect the earth lead of each battery first, and connect back the earth lead last.

I used a suction plate (tools used to replace glass in a window) to remove the fridge, otherwise it might be difficult to pull it up.

Do not drop the tiny screws of the fridge cover into the space between the fridge and the cupboard.

If blinking fridge icon occurs after the installation, this is to be re-set by means of 5 seconds right-buttom switch to be depressed on the central panel.

Good luck.

I have just done a repair to the Earth Shunt to stop the flicker. IT WORKED AND I NOW HAVE A FULLY FUNCTIONING HEATER WITHOUT THE FLICKERING LIGHTS.

Following the advice from the forum I downloaded the Procedure to repair a faulty SHUNT connection (In the VIP section). The download was very accurate and comprehensive. I also followed its advice and rang TREVOR BAXTER in the Parts Dept at Listers of Coventry (VW). He was so helpful with advice, and sent me the parts. Trevor was the first person, in 6 years of questioning VW, who knew about this problem!!!! It did take a few days to do it myself (with the help of wife to lift out the heavy fridge). The repair itself was easy but getting to it tricky/fiddly in places. One has to be very mindful of disturbing the gas supply - it needs thorough checking afterwards for leaks.

Thanks again to the forum, and Trevor.

Back