Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Earth Shunt - Repair free of charge out of warrnty?

nknight

nknight

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I've had a "59" reg from new. It always had flickering lights when heater started but heater worked except on very odd occasions. Now the heater only blows warm air if it is started immediately after the engine is turned off or if it is on hook-up and sometimes the control panel shows an "overload problem", so I think I have earth shunt problem on this late MK 1.

Van goes in to Eurovans Brighton tomorrow and I will be giving them a copy of the repair from the VIP section of this site.

My question is, has anyone had this repair done free of charge by VW out of warranty?

your best bet is to speak to VW Customer Care yourself and explain the situation. Has the vehicle ever gone back to the dealers before with the complaint?

cheers

I was going to say that I never got the answer to this as VW Customer Care wouldn't accept there was an earth shunt issue, but(see the thread "Auxillary Air Control Module or Earth Shunt?"). VW had said the earth shunt problem only applies to the 2006 model year. However I see they have rung me asking me to call about the work done and to confirm it was done free of charge.

Did you have the repair done free of charge in the end? If you are local to Brighton, then don't forget we are not too far up the road from them and we will also collect your vehicle and deliver it back to you as well if that makes things easier.

cheers

It was done free of charge by the dealer in the end, but only because they made a mess of things. I don't know if VW contributed. They don't accept that 2009 vans have the earth problem, which is a bit confusing as the problem was confirmed as exactly the same problem they accept they have had with 2006 vans .

We live in Brighton, just off the A23, so as you say we are not that far away from you. We will definitely be using you for all of our Cali needs from now on. In fact I should have known better, and taken the van to you in the first place. Will probably see you sooner rather than later as the message telling me the second long life service is due, should appear any time now. Useful to know that you have a collection and drop off service to Brighton.

Thanks,

Nigel