Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eber heater issues

gingerrob

gingerrob

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Ran the heater out of fuel the other day(oops) and now the heater will not start and just the fan runs.

I think i've bled the pump okay so i have a mist of diesel on each pump cycle.

But the pump does not appear to click to try and start.

How do i see if i have any error codes? I have the 7 day timer

Try putting the control panel into diagnostic mode. There are a number of keys you need to hold down together. I can't recall which. It's in the manual which can be downloaded somewhere here.

It sounds as if you've not bled the pump through

Get under the van and put a temp supply on to the pump. Touch the connection on and off to simulate the pulse required. About once every second. Unplug the heater side of the pump fuel line and check you are getting an output.

I have bled as you say and have a fine mist of fuel coming out the pump, not a massive amount though. Did the power dabbing for about 40 minutes !

I have an early model where the control panel by the moirror does not control the heater, the heater controls are separate. If i turn it on and ht the arrows i get the time on then if i hit the arrow the other way i get -52c, is that the error code?

It sounds as though it could be an error code.

I've had an earlier model with the control module mounted down by the fuses behind the driver seat.

I gues you have the later airtronic unit?

If you're confident you're getting fuel then it can only be electrical.

Have you checked there is voltage on the glow plug during starting?

I think the sequence is glow plug heat first then fuel. In other words if your pump isn't running it may be because there is no heat sequence?

Having had a poke about t'internet with regards to your predicament I came across this website. Based on your fault code they recommend the following solutions:
Fingers crossed for you they're not a cheap thing to replace.

Stage 4 Start failure.
Heater makes two attempts to start with no success and then stops completely, no smoke comes from the exhaust pipe or heater makes two attempts to start, may smoke for a while or smoke heavily and then it stops. Fault codes 52.

Eberspacher recommend servicing the heater annually so this would usually be our first step if the heater is producing smoke, especially if one had not been done recently, (see servicing pages for DIY servicing details).
White smoke is usually heated fuel and air mixture that has not been burnt, no smoke may mean no fuel is reaching the Eberspacher.
Check if you have run out of or are simply low on fuel, a tank pick up tube can be 50mm or more above the tank bottom. This ensures there will be enough fuel left to run the engine and prevents water and crud in the bottom of the tank from being picked up. As an example on one camper van the tank holds diesel for about 250 miles but the heater stops working after 200 miles.
If the fuel pipes were empty before starting check if purging of air is complete.
Check fuel is arriving at the heater, disconnect fuel pipe, fuel should squirt out on each pump stroke.
If there is no fuel look at the Fuel Supply Faults page.
Do the fuel quantity check, if the amount of fuel is insufficient -
Check the fuel lines and connections, fuel filter for air leaks and blockages. Check all clips are tight.
Check the fuel pick-up pipe, on some non Eberspacher types the tube pushes into the upper part and can have an air leak.
Check condition of rubber sleeves, they swell and can become porous as they deteriorate.
Check pipes butt together inside the sleeves, gaps can trap air bubbles.
Check pump has not been knocked or the fixing bolt become loose so pump is at an angle of less than 15 degrees. (see Fuel page)
Check for water in tank, water from condensation builds up in bottom of tank and it can be pumped instead of fuel.
Check if exhaust pipe / silencer or combustion air intake pipes are blocked, possibly with ice or water.
If a service is not done check the glow pin, clean ventilation hole above the screen in the glow pin chamber.
If the screen is removed check the fuel inlet hole is clear. It may also be worth blowing through the metal fuel pipe section from where the fuel pipe is connected to the glowpin chamber, it possibly may need an air compressor or a bicycle pump, before fitting the new screen.
Check fuel for degradation and floating debris, see fuel page.
Check also the Eberspacher starts normally but stops whilst running, it may try to restart category as causes can be the same.

I have heat !!!

It was the fuel, despite using the 12vpulsing method i did not have a good fuel supply.

So, sifting through the garage for some tubing i cam across the oil gun thing that came in a compressor tool kit.

no took the bottle off, and put the stand pipe in the fuel supply line, connected to the compressor and after about 10 seconds i had a nice mist of diesel.

reconnected the fuel supply, 12v pulsed the pump with all the pipes connected, then reconnected all wires, turned heater on, click click click and off we go.

happy days, thanks for all the advice.

Spoke too soon, now I get click click click followed by nothing, no fan and no heat, chilly last night!!!!

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Well you've established you're getting fuel so it can only be electrics. Voltmeter time.

Got home, unpacked van, went back or to lock up and heater is running???..

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Sounds to me like you simply had a fuel blockage. The drive home probably freed the pick-up pipe of any crud that may be in the fuel tank and now the heater is getting the right dosage to fire up. Whatever the cause though you've got the result you were after - a working heater. :bananadance2

oh and now i have no heater again!

Beginning to think I may have an electrical issue here ,so need to strip the whole unit out for a clean up i think. Sure i saw a guide to that somewhere but cannot fnd it anywhere???

I'd try removing/replacing the glow pkug first. It's dead easy to get at. Take it out and bench test it. Beware they get fookin hot.

Back