Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eberspacher D3LP controller

T

tusu

Vehicle
T4 Hightop
Hi all, here's my entry question...
Our new Cali is equipped with the (original I believe) D3LP Eberspacher heater. The control unit has been replaced though, and only a timer, Eberspacher EasyStart T (installation instructions attached), has been mounted.

It's my understanding that this modern timer isn't fully compatible with our heater but it seems to work well and it's able to switch on and off the heater at a preset time and for the desired duration. However, there's no control on the temperature level inside the van. So, overnight, we'd either freeze or burn...if none sacrifices to wake up regularly to switch on/off the heater.

I was wondering if anyone here knows if a controller/modulator with embedded temperature sensor could be added "easily" to the timer to do the job. Something like it's shown in the picture below (from page 16 of the attached EasyStart T manual), which really looks like this controller. Problem is that this thing seems to be a standard part for the Eberspacher D2/D4/D5 but, of course, no mention about our old D3LP. Same story for this thermostat, which looks like an alternative to me (although I'm not sure that it can be connected to the timer) and seems to work only back to the D3LCC (model introduced after the D3LP from what I understand).

Any suggestion?
Thanks
Alessandro

1579698251011.png
1579698251011.png

1579698284641.png

Attachments

• timer.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Is this what you're looking for?
I'm not sure.
This seems to be an original part but it's just a timer. Translation from German version of the D3LP Information sheet on factory installation manual gives me: "In addition to the central operating and display unit (central electronics), the following timer can be installed."
What I'm looking for it's a controller with a temperature sensor to be added to the new EasyStart T (which seems to do pretty much the same function of your suggestion).
Checking the D3LP manual, again translating from German, I clearly found that there's a temperature sensor at the heater intake and that it was possible to add a room-temperature thermostat. Then the eater would cycle between three different settings (LOW, MEDIUM, LARGE) to control the temperature. But was this internal thermostat included in the original van? The basic question would be: where those vans equipped with something to control the internal temperature or the heater would just run for the set time at a given intensity?

Problem controlling the factory fit Eberspächer is the control unit has no temp sensor, it relies on the sensor on the sliding door rear pillar which connects to the central display unit for temp control, not sure what someone did to get the heater to work with an external control, the heater control unit is in the heater ducting and is a unique Eberspächer unit only available from VW, attached the VW wiring diagram if thats any help, if the vans early than 98 I may have some info

Attachments

• Additional ait heater B3LP:D3LP - Models with camping equi from Aug 1998.pdf
    494.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for following up on this @AndyWT! In my van the central display unit has been replaced with a new one. The "EasyStart T" timer I mentioned is the only thing controlling the heater now. Checking the cabling at the timer exit it seems that 8 cables are connected. Problem is that the timer seems not to be fully compatible with the heater or simply not properly installed. For instance, I see active the ADR mode, which checking the diagram for the timer (given in the manual I posted originally) seems to be done short-circuiting the cables that should be going to the temperature sensor. Not sure if this can be an indication that my original temperature sensor has been indeed bypassed...

Isn't the temp simply controlled by varying the amount of fuel pumped in? It's a long time since I paid any attention to the control system.

If the above is true then just add a simple control circuit to the pump?

Isn't the temp simply controlled by varying the amount of fuel pumped in? It's a long time since I paid any attention to the control system.

If the above is true then just add a simple control circuit to the pump?
Yes and no, the temp is controlled by the pump pulse speed ie, pulse per/min and fan speed so combustion is balanced no smoke at full output or flame blow out at low output, they are calibrated at production to correct co2 emissions.

Thanks for following up on this @AndyWT! In my van the central display unit has been replaced with a new one. The "EasyStart T" timer I mentioned is the only thing controlling the heater now. Checking the cabling at the timer exit it seems that 8 cables are connected. Problem is that the timer seems not to be fully compatible with the heater or simply not properly installed. For instance, I see active the ADR mode, which checking the diagram for the timer (given in the manual I posted originally) seems to be done short-circuiting the cables that should be going to the temperature sensor. Not sure if this can be an indication that my original temperature sensor has been indeed bypassed...

Stupid question, have you looked under the van? is it still the original D3LP as the Easystart is not compatible with the D3LP.
ADR mode is for vehicles carrying flammable liquids/gas, under ADR regs the heater is cut off immediately with no shutdown cycle when loading or unloading automatically by the battery isolator switch.

Either the heaters been replaced with an Eberspacher Airtronic or there been extensive mods to get it to work with the EasyStart or a bodge... where by connecting the EasyStart 8 pin to the heaters 12 pin layout, could be done maybe? the 12 pin at the heater is only using 10 pins, 8 pins from the EasyStart + 2 pins for the pump, it really depends on what signals the EasyStart is sending the the heater from the number of cables it still looks pretty dum and hasn't moved to CAN bus.

Hows your German? attached is the Eberspacher installation manual, look at the Wesfalia page, the temp sensor only connects to the control panel, it's the control panel sending temp settings to the heater, the only way around that is to replace the ECU in the heater as the internal temp sensor is not connected internally with a basic one which is about € 500 + tax and then fit a comparable control

Butler Teknik have a whole bunch of info for Eberspacher & Webasto and parts.

Attachments

• Eberspacher_VW_T4_California_D3LC_heater_install_252142050000.pdf
    783.4 KB · Views: 12
Thanks again @AndyWT! Yes I had already found and started translating the document you shared...:) I noticed indeed what you mentioned in your previous post about the temperature sensor connection, but I have to admit that combining my poor technical knowledge with my google-translated German is not so efficient.
I confirm that my heater is still an original D3LP and that they did definitely something "customized" to make it work with the EasyStart T. I am attaching a picture of the connections...
Concerning your last advice, just to be sure to get it: do you suggest to change the ECU of the D3LP specific for VW with a standard one that can be connected to the temperature sensor that should be present at the intake of the heater?

IMG_3583.JPG

Hi, no don't replace the ECU, cost is half way to a new D2 Airtronic and it may not solve the comparability with the EasyStart, nice wiring by the way...

Although the heater works I'm surprised... it may not be possible to make it better.

You said "control unit has been replaced" does this mean its not there, what about fridge, battery display and temp etc, or is there no function for heater i.e. only 4 buttons, I'm wondering what was the reason to fit the EasyStart. Depending on the age the heater was an option i.e. only 4 buttons the display.

What are the coloured wires connected to, the EasyStart or to the heater, if its the EasyStart its definitely wrong, what are the colours of the other wires in black. What are the 2 wires brown & white temp sensor?

Sorry about questions, have seen many bodge jobs and they are sometimes difficult to fix.

I may becoming past Belgium in August awhile away but...

Hi, no don't replace the ECU, cost is half way to a new D2 Airtronic and it may not solve the comparability with the EasyStart, nice wiring by the way...

Although the heater works I'm surprised... it may not be possible to make it better.

You said "control unit has been replaced" does this mean its not there, what about fridge, battery display and temp etc, or is there no function for heater i.e. only 4 buttons, I'm wondering what was the reason to fit the EasyStart. Depending on the age the heater was an option i.e. only 4 buttons the display.

What are the coloured wires connected to, the EasyStart or to the heater, if its the EasyStart its definitely wrong, what are the colours of the other wires in black. What are the 2 wires brown & white temp sensor?

Sorry about questions, have seen many bodge jobs and they are sometimes difficult to fix.

I may becoming past Belgium in August awhile away but...

Yes, the control unit of the van has been replaced with an aftermarket model that does not include the heater control.

Colored wires go to the EasyStart. I checked again and finally found that the white and brown cables are going to an additional temperature sensor mounted not far from the timer (see picture). So, the only thing I'm sure about at the moment is that the violet and grey/black cables of the timer go to the temperature sensor...which seems completely no sense checking the wire diagram of the EasyStart installation guide for whatever heater.
There's no color to distinguish the six bigger-gauge wires (one red and five black) to which connect the other cables of the timer. I found that they're routed towards the front of the van but I can't follow them for long through the aperture that you see in the picture. They must be extensions to arrive to the timer. Maybe the cables going to the original control unit were not long enough? I guess the only thing I can do to find out is check how they connect at the heater side...
I really can't get how the timer can work like this!

IMG_3657.JPG

Back