Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ebike on a Cali?

B

Benedict

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Thinking of buying an ebike and taking it on my van trips.

At 24kg, I won't be lifting the ebike onto the existing four bike rack (VW dealer fixed, fixed before California purchased new), so am looking into having a towbar fitted and using my existing Thule two bike bike carrier.which I use on the car.

Not interested in a lightweight ebike, as it has to be a mountain ebike or hybrid for how I intend to use it, so no lightweight options for me, I think.

Anyone know if there's space for the ebike and the existing upper bike rack (folded up)... I suspect there may not be?

If there's not room for both, how easy/heavy is the existing rack to remove/replace by one person?

Any other alternatives that have worked for you?

You could always install a towbar and take a small trailer with you to carry the bike(s).
Because with the Thule mounted, there will be near to no chance that you would be able to open the bootlid.
I have an Atera, and with this one, the lid can open. With my previous Thule, I couldn't get my hand in the boot to reach to something.
That way, you could even use the original rack to carry an extra bag on it for carrying stuff?

I lift my cube acid ebike up and down fairly often, but I’m tall and have a height advantage.
A point to note though, you can remove the battery which helps remove some of the weight.

With two ebikes 24 kilo each we can still lift the bootlid, but one of us has to keep it up by hand.
Lifting a bike up into the Thule is not easy, but with two persons doable. As said take the battery off. Plus, it can’t be stolen.
Keep in mind that on some ebikes the tubes are too big (fat) for the Thule clamps. Thule do not sell larger ones. I fix the bikes with small extra belts.
The rails are wide enough even for most types of all terrain tires.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

0B457254-DC28-42A4-B511-ADF7E05CB4F4.jpeg
Xl cube acid 29er ebike fitted.
(Clearly you put the rack on the van before you put the bikes on!!! ;) )
It does stick out on both sides of the van, but not as wide as the mirrors.
It’s clamped on the vertical tube where the seat post drops into.

We have 2 x 24kg ebikes that comfortably fit on the pro-user tilting tow bar mounting bike rack that the club shop sells. Tail gate clears the rack and bikes when titled. Easy to load and unload. Access to the rear still easy when rack tilted.

At 24kg, I won't be lifting the ebike onto the existing four bike rack (VW dealer fixed, fixed before California purchased new), so am looking into having a towbar fitted and using my existing Thule two bike bike carrier.which I use on the car.

Not interested in a lightweight ebike, as it has to be a mountain ebike or hybrid for how I intend to use it, so no lightweight options for me, I think.

Anyone know if there's space for the ebike and the existing upper bike rack (folded up)... I suspect there may not be?

If there's not room for both, how easy/heavy is the existing rack to remove/replace by one person?

Hi we have just switched to a tow bar rack for that reason (lifting the ebike on to the rear door rack and keeping the door up). Found that the boot mounted rack fouls the ebike so having both racks in use wasn’t an option. Leaving it folded up was fine. Removing the rear door rack was easy. I had another pair of hands to assist me. Not due to weight just didn’t want to risk scratching the paintwork.

I have just sold my Thule bike rack (bought it for the car before we got the Cali) because it wouldn’t tilt back far enough to get the boot lid open - even with two heavy e bikes. I understand from my research so far that the Altera Genio Pro is the best tow bar option for e bikes (and I am planning to get one). It’s light enough to lift on and off easily (I am quite a small lady) and tilts back a long way.

If you are looking at e bikes, try the moustache hybrid range. If you are anywhere near Reading, visit
https://www.velospeed.co.uk/
My husband has a La Pierre full suspension electric mountain bike, which is also very good but not so town friendly.

I have just sold my Thule bike rack (bought it for the car before we got the Cali) because it wouldn’t tilt back far enough to get the boot lid open - even with two heavy e bikes. I understand from my research so far that the Altera Genio Pro is the best tow bar option for e bikes (and I am planning to get one). It’s light enough to lift on and off easily (I am quite a small lady) and tilts back a long way.

If you are looking at e bikes, try the moustache hybrid range. If you are anywhere near Reading, visit
https://www.velospeed.co.uk/
My husband has a La Pierre full suspension electric mountain bike, which is also very good but not so town friendly.
Hi - we have two ebikes (and an occasional kids bike) and I just wondered if you went ahead and bought the Genio Pro? If you did, could you say if you would recommend it? It's pretty expensive but does look impressive.

Thanks!

Ian

Hi - we have two ebikes (and an occasional kids bike) and I just wondered if you went ahead and bought the Genio Pro? If you did, could you say if you would recommend it? It's pretty expensive but does look impressive.

Thanks!

Ian
You can't buy an Atera Genio Pro at the moment as there was a product recall. I have been reliably informed by The Roofbox Company that some of the components are being redesigned, and features updated to improve functionality. Stock is unlikely to be received by retailers until June. Worth the wait for me, as I don't intend to use it until July, and the compact size and light weight is worth it.

You can't buy an Atera Genio Pro at the moment as there was a product recall. I have been reliably informed by The Roofbox Company that some of the components are being redesigned, and features updated to improve functionality. Stock is unlikely to be received by retailers until June. Worth the wait for me, as I don't intend to use it until July, and the compact size and light weight is worth it.
Many thanks for the prompt reply - it does look like a winner.

Looks great. Shortlisted for sure and I don't mind the wait. Sounds like these will be back in stock way before I take delivery of my Cali.

Thanks!

Ian
Yes I did and it works a treat for us. It’s easy to use and tips back very easily for access to the rear.

Hi, we have a MaxxRaxx that might answer all your issues - it's a Swan Neck design that clamps onto the towbar. This was recommended vs the factory fitted rack by our main dealer when we ordered the 'Van (ours has a spoiler on). It tilts out of the way of the tailgate, it's also adjustable for wider bikes and bars. I've found it to hold the bikes like they're welded on. Stows under the 'Van and takes up hardly any room when not in use. I can't believe they aren't recommended more often.

There's a securing eye on the factory fitted tow bar for bike security, so it might also be well worth also checking the security afforded on whichever tow bar options you're looking into so you can keep the bikes safe.

As a slight aside, I found that plugging in a light bar (for the number plate, brake, indicators etc) deactivates the ACC (Cruise control) which is a pain, so for anyone considering this, if your 'Van has that option and you use it, particularly for long journeys, it might be worth considering just a numberplate bar & putting wheels in the 'Van so the 'Vans rear lights are visible.

Whichever you choose, enjoy your rides!

• Informative
Reactions: Sad
Hi, we have a MaxxRaxx that might answer all your issues - it's a Swan Neck design that clamps onto the towbar. This was recommended vs the factory fitted rack by our main dealer when we ordered the 'Van (ours has a spoiler on). It tilts out of the way of the tailgate, it's also adjustable for wider bikes and bars. I've found it to hold the bikes like they're welded on. Stows under the 'Van and takes up hardly any room when not in use. I can't believe they aren't recommended more often.

There's a securing eye on the factory fitted tow bar for bike security, so it might also be well worth also checking the security afforded on whichever tow bar options you're looking into so you can keep the bikes safe.

As a slight aside, I found that plugging in a light bar (for the number plate, brake, indicators etc) deactivates the ACC (Cruise control) which is a pain, so for anyone considering this, if your 'Van has that option and you use it, particularly for long journeys, it might be worth considering just a numberplate bar & putting wheels in the 'Van so the 'Vans rear lights are visible.

Whichever you choose, enjoy your rides!

Does it tilt with the bikes attached...?

We have the Pro-User Diamant SG2 Plus on our van. It tilts far enough to open our tailgate with Westfailer bar. By aware that the plain SG2 version does not work on a van, it must be the SG2 Plus version.

We bought the Altera Genio Pro for 2x E-bikes. Tilting clears boot if you need to grab anything in a rush. it’s been a real joy to own. Would add that extra weight of e-bikes out beyond the rear wheels does make the suspension corkscrew on off camber corners and such. Rack is 17kg, 2x ebikes minus batteries add 40 kg so approx 57+kg approx .5m of a meter out from the rear of the van. Fitted heavy duty anti roll bars leaving stand springs and dampers and now so much better to drive. Also less tail wagging/swaying when passing lorries - would recommend in combo with tow hitch.

I would think it a lot heavier to lift though due to the pivot being further from the centre of mass of the bikes compared to other towbar mounted racks.

Lifting it from the bikes is fine, the pivot takes some of the weight, it's been a long time since physics but it only lifts a small way for a much longer curve. I've only tried it with two mountain bikes + the weight of the MaxxRaxx but my Wife could do it without thinking it was heavy, not that she would, she'd be on the deckchair I'd just got out of the boot for her with the large G&T I'd just made.

As a slight aside, I found that plugging in a light bar (for the number plate, brake, indicators etc) deactivates the ACC (Cruise control) which is a pain, so for anyone considering this, if your 'Van has that option and you use it, particularly for long journeys,

It shouldn't deactivate ACC, but should disable the lane change assist feature along with stop start.

@Baldrick can you did a little video with a couple of bikes attach please. I would like to see it in action :thumb