Edinburgh - concern over Park4Night App

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I know we often counter these opinions by saying these vans will spend in the local area but I do wonder if generally don't want to spend on a campsite they probably won't spend much locally either?

It's only going to be made harder I think sadly.

It’s not particularly fair to single out that app, which I happen to like and guided us to decent paid stopovers every night on our recent trip to Eastern Europe.

However, judging by people’s attitudes on at least one free camping Facebook forum, I’m not surprised that there are complaints and agree that the most many will spend locally will be on diesel at a supermarket and food at Lidl or Aldi.

Being in France atm, I’m reminded of the wonderful network of free or inexpensive Aires and really feel it’s about time local councils in the UK became aware of the growing number of mohos and did the same, which would help to partially contain the problem.

I know we often counter these opinions by saying these vans will spend in the local area but I do wonder if generally don't want to spend on a campsite they probably won't spend much locally either?

It's only going to be made harder I think sadly.

I have been looking at a number of these apps and sites which recommend “free” overnight stopovers and think they are going to be counter productive.
There’s one recommended street near me, lovely tree lined non residential with views of Castle that will soon end up with parking restrictions all because it’s turning into an unofficial campsite with some vans allegedly not moving for weeks.

I have used the app too but most of the places it recommended had no parking signs when we tried to use it last year. I guess after land owners got an influx of "wild parking". I tend to use CL sites which are usually under a tenner.

I think most of us would get upset if lines of motorhomes starting parking by our houses too, I know I would as parking is bad enough where I live already. :)

I have always kept great spots I have found secret because ultimately as you say ArunAlec by advertising them you make them unavailable or overpopulated and it doesn't help our image.

The UK does however seem averse to anyone getting anything for free and the "Nimby - Not In My Back Yard" attitude is strong here.

Last weekend Wester Ross was awash with campervans and big whites. Most parking areas on the scenic routes had at least one big white stopping overnight. It did not look good. I imagine it must be even worse in the built up areas like the Lakes. The real problem is the big whites are so big and visible that they attract attention and as they tend to stay for a period it just annoys people.

We live in a leafy suburb about two miles from the castle and yesterday I noticed four campervans in our street including a Beach. Personally I don't see the problem other than the squeeze on free overnight parking spaces. The answer are strategically placed aires, which might eleviate some of the problems and provide an income stream for the Council.

As per that article, I think there probably is an element of snobbery in these things to.

I guess some people find a campervan as much an eyesore as I find awful litter, but I still struggle to understand it myself.

Ultimately I think the British of 2019 seem to have a real dislike of anyone appearing to get something for free and the chances are they are doing no harm other than upsetting curtain twitchers?

As per that article, I think there probably is an element of snobbery in these things to.

I guess some people find a campervan as much an eyesore as I find awful litter, but I still struggle to understand it myself.

Ultimately I think the British of 2019 seem to have a real dislike of anyone appearing to get something for free and the chances are they are doing no harm other than upsetting curtain twitchers?
More likely fear of the unknown, random people parked outside you house for days are a worry for some that is understandably. Of course most are just passing though on their individual adventures but stranger fear is not totally absurd.

More likely fear of the unknown, random people parked outside you house for days are a worry for some that is understandably. Of course most are just passing though on their individual adventures but stranger fear is not totally absurd.
Residents will quite likely also be asking questions like - Where are they putting their rubbish, What are they using as toilets?

I don't think it is snobbery either, it is being denied the right to enjoy your own home. How many of us would get upset if someone came and put a 9 foot tall white plastic wall at the front of their house?

Do members think there has been a rise in the number of Motorhomes on the road? I’m sure there are more of them than there used to be. Caravans seem to have got bigger as well. I don’t think I would fancy towing some of these big twin axles on a touring holiday or maybe the changes to the Driving Liscence regarding towing weights is responsible?

Do members think there has been a rise in the number of Motorhomes on the road? I’m sure there are more of them than there used to be. Caravans seem to have got bigger as well. I don’t think I would fancy towing some of these big twin axles on a touring holiday or maybe the changes to the Driving Liscence regarding towing weights is responsible?
Agree, with the knock on affect that bigger caravans need bigger tow vehicles, so everyone seems to be driving mammoth crew cab pickups!

We live very close to the midlands caravan kingdom Don Amotts which 15 to 20 years ago sold mainly caravans but now hardly has any, it’s all MH’s and is an agent for Camper Kings, so I recon there are a lot more MH’s about, also think there is possibly more disposable income.

Last edited:
You just have to look at the club sites and laybys to see hardly any caravans but loads of campervans and motor homes. Up here no contest, virtually no caravans.

We have a place near us which is listed on various apps and sometimes you can see up to five motorhomes there and to be honest it resembles a gypsy site at times !! I can totally see the argument here as it's only going to get worse. At the end of the day these vehicles are certainly not things of beauty.

I am sure many people buy a motorhome over a caravan because they perceive that freedom, to be able to stop anywhere. Of course travellers are also changing to motorhomes now too because of the all in one convenience.

Record numbers of motorhomes are being sold and old ones have far longer lives than cars. The outdoors is very popular now, you only have to go to local park spaces to find them rammed so full on a sunny day as to no longer feel very pleasant.

It is easy to see why its a growing problem. Ultimately we can all reduce the impact by using proper sites, and if we do wild park doing it responsibly. I can count the number of times I've not used a site overnight on one hand in the last 5 years, exception for me rather than a rule. I think some folks may enjoy saving the money and you can't really blame them with the price of some sites.

It ain’t going to get better!
I despair at some of the comments on the “free/wild parking” sites. There seem to be a lot of people challenging land owners/councils right to exclude overnight stopovers in their car parks, suggesting basically ignoring signage.
So no surprise when the 2m barriers go up!

I despair at some of the comments on the “free/wild parking” sites. There seem to be a lot of people challenging land owners/councils right to exclude overnight stopovers in their car parks, suggesting basically ignoring signage.
Maybe have a Country wide Law, as they do, I think in Norway. Basically no Overnight camping within 100m of any Habitation except in Specified Locations or with the Landowners permission. That would leave the truly “ Wild Camping “ places free and make Policing of Sea Fronts etc: easy. Let them park up in the day and fine them heavily at midnight.

Yes in Denmark we were told is it point blank illegal to camp in your vehicle unless on a proper campsite.

The sheer size and visibilty of the big whites is making the problem worse. Discreet and preferably hidden makes sense but if they argue with land owners or councils we all know who will win and it wont be the campers. Virtually no land is free to use without permission and that includes Scotland which is almost all privately owned. Use proper sites whenever possible and do your bit to prevent restrictions. Please.

I do sympathise somewhat as there is a road in Arundel (down by the river on the way to the Black Rabbit) which is always full of large motorhomes these days, many of which haven't moved in weeks or months and takes away useful free parking spaces.

There are lots and lots of people Bristol way living in vans because they simply can't afford homes there. Amazing how many people are looking for alternative lives away from the rat race.

I do sympathise somewhat as there is a road in Arundel (down by the river on the way to the Black Rabbit) which is always full of large motorhomes these days, many of which haven't moved in weeks or months and takes away useful free parking spaces.
Two years old but still an issue. https://www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/news/new-rules-for-eyesore-camper-vans-1-7874266
For a tenner they can pre book an overnight in the riverside car park, although you have to phone first.

The problem with the app, is it allows quiet lovely hideaways to be exposed to all. Once that happens, it becomes over-run.
The app is great for Campsites, aires, perhaps a Rugby Club or Pub offering their carpark.
But never let a genuine beauty stop over or idyllic park up be-known on that app or forum page.
Otherwise it’s lost forever...

Two years old but still an issue. https://www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/news/new-rules-for-eyesore-camper-vans-1-7874266
For a tenner they can pre book an overnight in the riverside car park, although you have to phone first.

Ah didn't realise the link you posted earlier referred to this :)

Some of them look like they could barely move and the owners have build little fences on the verge where they chop wood. I guess they must have MOT & insurance to be on the road though. Some of the bigger ones are converted horse boxes or trucks, could probably get a Cali inside.