Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Editing someone else’s post.

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Westafalia club joker
I have recently had a post “replied” to and I notice that my original “greyed” post in the reply has had a line added at the end (within the grey area).
When I refer back to my original the added line is not there? So even if I wanted to, I couldn’t rectify.
Whilst not a problem in this case (nothing contentious added), it doesn’t seem right that my post can be changed without my consent?

I have recently had a post “replied” to and I notice that my original “greyed” post in the reply has had a line added at the end (within the grey area). I can add whatever I like to your quoted text as it is just text
When I refer back to my original the added line is not there? So even if I wanted to, I couldn’t rectify.
Whilst not a problem in this case (nothing contentious added), it doesn’t seem right?

The quoted reply is just text with a code at each end to format it and can be edited. Occasionally someone will also quote more than one and then try to fix it and include another line or just edit it, it would be rare for someone to do this maliciously.

Last edited:
The quoted reply is just text with a code at each end to format it and can be edited. Occasionally someone with also quote more than one and then try to fix it and include another line or just edit it, it would be rare for someone to do this maliciously.
Thanks
I’m resisting the temptation……!

It works both ways, as you have quoted me, If I go back and change what I said, your quote, that I cannot edit, will keep me honest..

Thanks
I’m resisting the temptation to give my Cali to Granny Jen but finding it too hard……!

As Loz said, if a respondent decided to type within the greyed out area then it would appear as your post being replied to,

If done maliciously then report and admin will act upon it.

As Loz said, if a respondent decided to type within the greyed out area then it would appear as your post being replied to,

If done maliciously then report and admin will act upon it.
I did report but only as a means of flagging, nothing malicious.

I thought about this issue before as well. If I would post a content A, get lots of thumbs or confirmations on it (without quotation of the original text), then weeks later would change the content to the opposite, to be read months later via a search function, ...?
Time for fact-checkers?
Thinking about investigations, where is HC by the way?

I thought about this issue before as well. If I would post a content A, get lots of thumbs or confirmations on it (without quotation of the original text), then weeks later would change the content to the opposite, to be read months later via a search function, ...?
Time for fact-checkers?
Thinking about investigations, where is HC by the way? I think Loz is a top bloke by the way :)

Thanks, Auberg-ine ;)

There are time limits within the forum software that controls the number of days that you can edit your posts.

Thanks, Auberg-ine ;)

There are time limits within the forum software that controls the number of days that you can edit your posts. Loz's the best!
:thumb, I guess? Also, couldn't have put it better myself! ;-)

One of the positive things about this is that when quoting someone, you can remove all their text and only leave the part of the quote you are replying to. Which makes the entire discussion a lot easier to read for others, or you can change the color to add emphasis.

The downside of this is a friend of mine got sacked for something he didn’t put in an email… but was altered after he had sent it.

The downside of this is a friend of mine got sacked for something he didn’t put in an email… but was altered after he had sent it.
Then it was a crappy employer, firing an employee for something he hasn't done. Employer now stuck with dishonest employee who falsely modified an Email, and without one that did nothing wrong.

Then it was a crappy employer, firing an employee for something he hasn't done. Employer now stuck with dishonest employee who falsely modified an Email, and without one that did nothing wrong.
That would be a case of unfair dismissal and a good payout..
I think both sides realised it would be hard to prove and he left anyway. It was 20 years ago so I can’t recall all the details. Fortunately been happy with another employer ever since.

I think both sides realised it would be hard to prove and he left anyway. It was 20 years ago so I can’t recall all the details. Fortunately been happy with another employer ever since.
Nowadays it would be easy.
Our company has a full audit of every email ever sent…and much more besides.

Back