Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR valve EXTREME shortage of spare parts warning!

• Thread starter AndyFromTheBrac
  • Start date
A

AndyFromTheBrac

Guest User
Just a little heads up that at present (according to VWCS) there are no EGR valve assemblies available on the planet! If yours needs this at the moment, then be prepared to wait "indefinitely"

Ridiculous though it is (mine has been sat at Heritage Warminster for over a month!!), I'm somewhat covered by Heritage loaning me a Cali (mine was having the roof repair done initially) but it's just not on (I assume this is causing Heritage to reduce the number of roof repairs it can do whilst I have one of their loaners)

Totally unacceptable situation. I put a call in to VWCS every other day and have tried to escalate this with no success.

Any suggestions for an alternative route I could take?

Andy

So when will the spaceship land on the planet from their off world supplier. Given this is a known fault seems somewhat poor service.?planning, So they can still build new t5 should supply ones off the build line guess new customers take a lead over existing customers

From what I found on the net, there is lots of independent manufactures of replacement valve, like Valeo and Wahler, for example.

I would think a lot of the delay is stemming from the winding down of production on the T5 and the consequent winding down of demand of the valves.

You could always take the valve out and clean it as a diy project.......... plenty of info on utube.

John

You could always take the valve out and clean it as a diy project.......... plenty of info on utube.
Given its the best part of a day's work removing the entire front of a 180 and can destroy the cooler in the process, I think I'll give it a miss John!

Also I'd think demand for these valves would be steady if not increasing, given their attrition rate. Not sure on new design remedying or just giving it a bit more longevity??

Andy

The EGR valve/cooler that was replaced on my 2010 140hp T5 was not gunked up or stuck, there had been build up of condensation/water under the black "plastic"cap where the wires plug in. It had caused all the electronic parts to go green and fail. The man said the new version was designed to eliminate this happening.

Andyfromthebrack

What year, engine, HP is your vehicle?

It's a 2011 180 - I've had the same answer from 2 dealers and an independent garage. Just happened to be in for other work + Heritage so I thought I'd kill 2 birds... that was beginning of March

For me there are 2 main conclusions from the all EGR discussions here:

1. Avoid to buy the 180HP as much as you can; very complicated and expensive to replace the EGR.

2. Consider to have spare EGR with you. If you intend to keep the van for some years, sooner or later the failure will arrive. If you have the spare with you, and you are away, you can make the replacement in any closest workshop nearby, almost immediately.
I looked at EGR on my manifold, and it seems to be so easy reacheable that I would probably be capable to replace it on the road.
The spare should fit under the RH seat, not arresting any useful space. I think I will go for this.

Have you checked out how much a new E G R valve is to have sat under your seat ?
I saw mine when it was off and doubt it would fit under the seat.

The EGR shouldn't fail early, but as far as I am concerned it should be considered, like the cambelt/water pump, as a component that will require replacement at some point. It is a component with an interface of mechanical/electrical/electronic components which is always a recipe for failure.
If you look at the T5 forums, yes there are posts about EGR valves, but not that common and normally at high milage.
So, just a question/observation, apart from a faulty valve requiring replacement obviously, does the longevity of an EGR valve depend on use, ie: use it or lose it?

Have you checked out how much a new E G R valve is to have sat under your seat ?
I saw mine when it was off and doubt it would fit under the seat.

Have not checked this yet.
I see the Valvoline equivalent you can have for about 120 Euros, so probably VW would be 200 Euros or so.
Well, the fact of the matter is that most likely you will have to spend the money anyway, this is just to avoid to be taken by surprise in the most undesirable moment.
If it does not fit under the seat, there is plenty of other alternative locations, like ski space next to the bench or top of the vertical wardrobe, or inside the spare wheel in a plastic sealed box :).

Last edited:
The EGR shouldn't fail early, but as far as I am concerned it should be considered, like the cambelt/water pump, as a component that will require replacement at some point. It is a component with an interface of mechanical/electrical/electronic components which is always a recipe for failure.
If you look at the T5 forums, yes there are posts about EGR valves, but not that common and normally at high milage.
So, just a question/observation, apart from a faulty valve requiring replacement obviously, does the longevity of an EGR valve depend on use, ie: use it or lose it?

Mine went at 60k miles, just under 3 years, no supermarket fuel used, vehicle used every day.

So covered by warranty, therefore faulty.
If VW did expect it to fail within 3 years then it would be excluded, but just like the cambelt/ waterpump they expect it to last at least 3 + years or longer.

So covered by warranty, therefore faulty.
If VW did expect it to fail within 3 years then it would be excluded, but just like the cambelt/ waterpump they expect it to last at least 3 + years or longer.
so far it did not fail in mine, 8 years old, 140 000 kms...

Just like the T5 commercial vans.

For me there are 2 main conclusions from the all EGR discussions here:

1. Avoid to buy the 180HP as much as you can; very complicated and expensive to replace the EGR.

2. Consider to have spare EGR with you. I

Interesting, though this doesn't really help me Andresz. I have a 180 and there are no EGR valves (trust me, I'd be happy with just one!)

My OP was just whether there are any alternative routes into VW/VW customer services as I cannot get past an irritating little Hitler who cannot (will not?) give any info on when the valves will become available and seems to think I should be grateful I have a loan Cali :headbang

Is it possible to call a local wreckers and see if there is a late model write off. Or search online for another wreckers. Surely with all the T5's on the road there must be another option or do all the work vans have different EGR's.

There must be Fleets of T5's on the road how do they keep them running? do they have different engines?

Caveat ( I am not mechanical)

This seems to be a common problem with VW at the moment, there were no water pumps to be found aat the beginning of the year, which delayed my cambelt work by 2 months!

I always understood that all vehicle manufacturers have to keep spares available for 10 years after they cease production of a model. Thus may be completely wrong, but I can't image they would want the bad reputation that would ensue by ceasing manufacturing spares at the same time as ceasing a model range.

Alan

The EGR valve/cooler that was replaced on my 2010 140hp T5 was not gunked up or stuck, there had been build up of condensation/water under the black "plastic"cap where the wires plug in. It had caused all the electronic parts to go green and fail. The man said the new version was designed to eliminate this happening.

Interesting. We are on our eighth VW diesel vehicle now, some of which have done around 140,000 miles and never had a problem with an EGR valve. I have always made a point of going round with a can of WD40 and spraying every electrical connection that I can see as the vast majority of problems nowadays seem to be electrically related with more and more complex systems. Whether it has helped or not I don't know but it can't do any harm.

They keep running the fleets of T5's because EGR failure is relatively uncommon overall. Obviously it is of supreme significance if it happens to you personally.
Also, the EGR normally fails closed , or it can be blanked off and the EMU reprogrammed to ignore it, a good tuning company can do this, but not something you would want to do on a vehicle under warranty.

ACF50 is supposed to be better than WD40 for electrical connections etc:. Approved by the FDA for use on critical aircraft electrical systems.:thumb

It wasn't the actual connector plug that was corroded, but what was underneath the cap that was shorted out on mine, but I do agree with spraying with WD 40 type spray, anything is better then nothing. There's a guy down the road from me who jet washes his engine every time he washes the paintwork on his van!