Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR valve EXTREME shortage of spare parts warning!

• Thread starter AndyFromTheBrac
  • Start date
Also, the EGR normally fails closed , or it can be blanked off and the EMU reprogrammed to ignore it, a good tuning company can do this, but not something you would want to do on a vehicle under warranty.

Interesting. I'd seriously consider it after this debacle. Do you know if EGRs are not legally required (MOTs?) for diesel vehicles after a certain date then WG?

Plenty of discussion on this subject on the T4/T5 forum. If you alter the emissions system on your vehicle you are running an illegal vehicle, but of course how do they find out? Same as removing the internals of your DPF which is another piece of emissions mumbo jumbo that isn't even fitted for the Chinese market!

Plenty of discussion on this subject on the T4/T5 forum. If you alter the emissions system on your vehicle you are running an illegal vehicle, but of course how do they find out? Same as removing the internals of your DPF which is another piece of emissions mumbo jumbo that isn't even fitted for the Chinese market!

I guess it depends if it passes come MOT time.
I completely removed the EGR from our old 2001 Mazda Bongo and it sailed through the MOT emmision test twice, and it went better and used less fuel.
I'd definitely try it when out of warranty.

During the MOT there is a visual check that a Catalytic Converter or DPF is present physically, if the vehicle was produced with one, and the exhaust Emmisions are tested. The EMU is NOT checked to see if those items have been re-coded out. As far as I am aware there is no check that the EGR valve is present/blanked off or switched off in the EMU. The Emmisions test is carried out at a set engine speed, to simulate acceleration and in that situation the EGR valve is closed as it only opens, as far as I am aware, on overrun .
So, in summary, you can remove the guts of the Cat/DPF and blank off the EGR either physically or re-programme the EMU to do the same. As long as the emissions are within spec then you will be OK.
As far as if it is legal or will your insurance be valid, that is for you to decide.

Well it looks like the wait is over. They've now got some availability and it's being fitted at last (almost 2 months). As much as it sounds like a tempting idea, I don't think I'd really want to blank it off. Sounds a bit dodge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will this be supplied under Warranty?, if not could you let us know the cost please.:thumb

Had mine done out of VW warranty on 180 at 3.5 y old. Cost £1100 but warrantywise paid up

Similar situation. Quote was around £1100 for valve & cooler, but after some persuasion VWCS have agreed to pay. (Mine is a 2011 180 so about 9 months out of warranty)

I will join this thread to say that the EGR valve is giving problems on our 2013 180ps T5 originally a LWB Kombi now converted to a camper. The van has covered 14500 miles and is used as an every day vehicle.

The fault manifested itself after a very long stop start / walking pace drive on the M25 / Leatherhead road to our hotel for the VolksWorld Show. I scanned the van there, saw what the problem was and called VW Assist. They sent an AA Tech who cleared the fault record and told me to contact my local van centre should it occur again.

Of course it has recurred, I cleared the fault once myself and now it has the MIL light on and is waiting to go to the dealership on Thursday (16th April).

Here is the fault log from VCDS if it is of any interest to anyone.

Tuesday,07,April,2015,16:02:43:00103
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator
VCDS Version: 14.10.2.0 (x64)
Data version: 20150311
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WV1ZZZ7HZEH023513 License Plate: AE63 URC
Mileage: 14440 Repair Order:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03L-906-022-CFC.clb
Control Module Part Number: 03L 906 019 GN HW: 03L 907 309 L
Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC H38 5606
Software Coding: 01194010232400080000
Work Shop Code: WSC 02736 790 50316
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20BTD01103L906019GN 003004 (VN75)
ROD: EV_ECM20BTD01103L906019GK.rod
VCID: 7DF5060EECF109C9059-8028
2 Faults Found:

4807 - EGR System
P0401 00 [237] - Insufficient Flow
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 5
Mileage: 23076 km
Date: 2018.14.23
Time: 12:50:24

9120 - EGR Sensor 1
P046C 00 [237] - Implausible Signal
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 5
Mileage: 22970 km
Date: 2018.14.22
Time: 14:00:12

Readiness: 1 2 0 0 0

Has anyone else scanned the fault themselves and if so is this a typical report?

As you see that was last Tuesday when we were in North Wales, that was when I rang my van centre who did not comment on the availability of EGR valves, just booked it in for next Thursday. I will keep you posted as to the progress of the repair.

Rod

Update on progress...
Spoke to parts manager at our van centre this morning (Monday) to check if the EGR valve was ordered and what the situation is regarding supply.
Yes it's ordered but now on 'back order', I will check again on Wednesday to see if there is any chance of getting the repair done on Thursday as booked.

Rod

Rod I don't want to pour cold water on things but "Back Order" was the situation we found ourselves in. Six weeks to receive the part and VW unable to offer any progress until "delivered"

A friend we met on Saturday was about to pick up his 4 yr old T5 conversion 180 BiTurbo model that had it's EGR valve replaced on the Friday.

Rod I don't want to pour cold water on things but "Back Order" was the situation we found ourselves in. Six weeks to receive the part and VW unable to offer any progress until "delivered"
emoji35.png

I am under no illusion about the supply for Thursday, after forty seven years of owning VWs I've 'been there and done that' a few times.

A friend we met on Saturday was about to pick up his 4 yr old T5 conversion 180 BiTurbo model that had it's EGR valve replaced on the Friday.

Ah so they have run out of stock again during the last week by the looks of things.

Is there anyone else following this thread who has done their own scan? Do other failures come up with the same fault codes?

Rod

Quick update: I seem to have left my beloved Cali with the Keystone Cops (aka Heritage VW Westbury)!. They have now somehow managed to damage the front bumper whilst it was off the vehicle and are having to supply and fit a replacement. Beggars belief, it really does!

And an update on our repair...

I had a phone call from Greenhous Volkswagen Van Centre at Shrewsbury this morning to tell me that the EGR valve had NOT come into stock this morning so we must postpone tomorrow's planned repair. I find most staff at this van centre extremely proactive and helpful, this phone call being an example of there customer care attitude. Obviously the supply problem is not theirs but back with Volkswagen AG via VW UK.

I have been assured verbally by a respected member of Greenhous Volkswagen Van Centre staff that any consequential problems resulting from further use of the vehicle in its current condition whilst they are unable to supply parts will be covered by Volkswagen with the proviso that should any performance degradation (or entering 'limp mode') occur I contact them or another van centre immediately.

No surprise at all that the EGR valve is still on back order, watch this space for an update.

Rod

One quick question to those who have had an EGR valve changed on a 180ps T5 recently...

Do you know the part number of the item fitted please?

Rod

Informed by Shrewsbury Van Centre on Friday 24th April that my EGR valve is in stock, now just waiting for a workshop & courtesy vehicle slot to get it changed.

The camper goes in tomorrow (Wednesday 29th) for a new EGR valve to be fitted. I have been promised that it will be completed by Thursday, I hope so because it is needed fot the show at Stanford Hall on Sunday!

Just as a by the way, there have never been any symptoms other than the MIL light illuminated on the dash.

EGR valve and Kombikuhler etc. changed on our T5 by Shrewsbury Van Centre today.

Anyone interested in the manufacturing date of the unit on their 180ps T5 will see that the actual date of manufacture is printed on the label on top of the unit which can be seen by looking down the front of the engine. It's by stuck on mine by the side of the oil filter.

I think it depends on how the EGR valve fails, open or closed. I think, but could be wrong, if it fails closed then no power loss ( same as blanking off the EGR ), wheras if it fails open then you get power loss.