Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EHU Cable Question

Yorkie

Yorkie

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi
I haven't picked up my Cali yet and I am about to create an Electric Hook Up cable and wanted to know if the standard hook up socket will fit the Cali inlet. Mine will have a little cover which hinges out of the way but will it foul on the door of the van socket cover?

Ian

Don't forget the socket cover flap on your lead slides into the gap above the Cali plug and clicks home when fully inserted. Press the little blue plastic button/lever to release the socket and lead.

Hi
I haven't picked up my Cali yet and I am about to create an Electric Hook Up cable and wanted to know if the standard hook up socket will fit the Cali inlet. Mine will have a little cover which hinges out of the way but will it foul on the door of the van socket cover?

Ian
No thats fine. If you notice, the little flap has a lip at the open end. You lift the flap of the socket up and push the socket onto the California Plug. That lip on the Socket Flap will then stop the plug falling out easily. At the side of the California plug is a Blue lever that disengages the Socket Flap and allows you to remove the Lead Socket.

Hi

As others have said the little cover on the plug flap slots into the Cali socket

:welcome

Welcome on your first post , of you take a look at our forum shop there are examples of extention lead visible and offcoarse feel free to buy one...;)

You will need 25m which is the CC recommended length.You will find this cumbersome. GJen gave me the tip of splitting it into one of 10m and one of 15m with a join. The CC do not like a join but I have had no problems. Trips on the van and the CC pillars should make this safe. A lockable cover is available for the join for a tenner. Also get a polarity tester plug always essential when you travel abroad or if you make a mistake with the plug wires. All this from a guy who gets someone in to change a light bulb.

Arctic cable (blue)

And the Satsuma skinned David Dickinson would definitely agree with you!

Why ? What's wrong with the starndard orange one stands out so you don't trip over cable.
After you've wrestled with coiling it up it cool weather you'll understand.

The blue arctic is much more flexible at lower temp.

After you've wrestled with coiling it up it cool weather you'll understand.

The blue arctic is much more flexible at lower temp.

We T5-ers don't go camping when it's cold....:D

You do indeed good chosing a soft-flexible cable type , much easier to roll-up.
Roll-out also can be a pain in the @ss with those stiff cables .

My daughter told me to get a blue one but I couldn't find one in the 3 shops I tried so I have a couple of 10ft orange ones - anyone got a link for the lockable cover mentioned above?

I found it in our local B&Q in 10mtr lengths.

You will need to buy the 16amp CEE form plugs separately though, as this is just a roll of cut cable. Any camping shop can help here as I haven't seen them in B&Q.

Alan

Try EBAY search for 'Blue Hook Up Cable' & you should find the option required.

When in France I carried a polarity tester and a short lead with the live & neutral wires crossed over (female correctly wired but male had neutral in live reversed) as a quick fix for wrong way round polarity sites.

I found it in our local B&Q in 10mtr lengths.

You will need to buy the 16amp CEE form plugs separately though, as this is just a roll of cut cable. Any camping shop can help here as I haven't seen them in B&Q.

Alan
I'm happy enough with the orange ones, I've hardly used them except at home pre-trip. It was the cover for the joining bit I was enquiring about.

@BikerGran I also have tried in the past to buy a connecting bit, but failed to find one. Now i just join the two cables together with plug and socket, if damp i use a plastic bag, not ideal i know but needs must

Had this from BikerGran for Towsure . Couldn't see message on here but if duplicated 'sorry'.

http://www.towsure.com/outwell-cable-safety-box

cheaper than EBAY by a little allowing for postage.

I bought one as I needed some other bits from Towsure

Credit to BikerGran

BOUGHT one TOO SMALL FOR 16A plug & socket.:punch

Last edited:
I think you will find that the plugs and sockets on the cable are already IP44 rated, as is the socket on the van, so using one if these boxes is just doubling up.
The main thing is to just raise the joint off the ground.

I think you will find that the plugs and sockets on the cable are already IP44 rated, as is the socket on the van, so using one if these boxes is just doubling up.
The main thing is to just raise the joint off the ground.

And make sure it's switched off before you connect and disconnect.

Back