Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Bikes!

Unfortunately my hybrid has disc brakes so the supplied front wheel would be unsuitable.
Not so, mine has Front and rear disc brakes. You just swap the disc over.

Not so, mine has Front and rear disc brakes. You just swap the disc over.
Yes you’re right, I just RTFM! :)

How much weight does it add to the bike?

As a frequent E-bike rider and now on my 3th E-bike a Dutch ID (25km/h max speed) now 2,5y old with 11.000km on the clock i ride 36km daily to work no matter the weather.

Get a decent one with the motor in the pedals an not in the wheel.
I've had one(Sparta) with the motor in the front wheel and they do not drive as comfortable as one with a motor in the pedals , don't know those with motor in the rear wheel as they are less availeble.
Get one with a smooth electronic shifter like the Boch type .
Invest in a decent manufacturar and as with all battery powerd things they will only last if you use them....meaning decharging and reacharching the battery on regular base and storing the battery inside in a relative warm place , not storing your bike in a cold garage with the battery on it for sevral months over winter...=killing the battery.

a quick question... has anyone used electric folding bikes? such as VOLT Metro? my thought process is that they will fit on the rear rack and with the handle bar folded and the seat removed, they will sit under the roof line and keep us under the 2m limit... (just useful re travelling and car parks etc)

308DC15B-F0B1-4955-82AC-E4C34B085DD8.jpeg A7B0FA23-F489-4008-A56E-22CDDC377F49.jpeg Hi, we have 2 electric folding bikes that we put in the van when travelling and strap them down. Mine is a Woosh mtb and the other half has a more girly bike. Once we arrive on site we chain them up to the van. We are now able to travel further from the site in our own time/speed. Wouldn’t be without them now. Riding back from the pub is fun too.

4A2AC4E8-F6B5-4A7D-832A-BFFEFD7C8D9C.jpeg Just bought a couple of Volts and looking forward to seeing how they work for two weeks in France. Planning to put them on rear rack, but with folded handlebars and saddle removed to fit below the roofline

I have a Kahlkoff, it’s superb in every respect,

I have a tow bar rack (Altera Strada).

Buy the best you can afford, still Cali owners know that!

+1 for Kahlkoff, we did so much research and it always lead back to them.

Like others I have been researching E Bikes a lot. Where we live we are surrounded by hill so to go anywhere you have to get up a steep hill first and with my knees that results in a lot of discomfort. On the flat and gentle inclines fine. A year ago I had bought a new Hybrid that I like but we had to travel to get any enjoyment and as I said hills were a no no. I didn't want to get another bike and resale values of bikes are low. So I took the plunge and converted mine. I know a hub motor might be the best but I wanted something simple and so I went for this:- http://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk...bike-kit-samsung-power-13ah-by-dillenger.html

Came quickly, good downloadable instructions, easily fitted if you can make simple adjustments on a bike and worked straight off, with Pedal Assist or throttle. Controllable top speed setting and Brake operated cut-out.
On test runs it coped with all the hills out of our town easily including a very steep local hill which is difficult to walk let alone cycle. All in all very pleased and I keep my hybrid bike as well.

Welsh Gas
I'm interested in your recent experience of your Dillenger.
I bought a Kalkhoff in 2010, and had a motor failure, this being disastrous as Kalkhoff no longer stock parts.
I'm interested to see if Dillinger would serve as a resolution, as the bike is superbly specced and useable in every other way. I have simply removed the motor and am using it as an ordinary bike presently.

Welsh Gas
I'm interested in your recent experience of your Dillenger.
I bought a Kalkhoff in 2010, and had a motor failure, this being disastrous as Kalkhoff no longer stock parts.
I'm interested to see if Dillinger would serve as a resolution, as the bike is superbly specced and useable in every other way. I have simply removed the motor and am using it as an ordinary bike presently.
It’s still going strong. Since C19 I’ve been using it everyday for an hours ride and on longer rides still getting 30 miles + out of the battery. The only problem was one of the Brake Magnetic switch/sensor came unstuck, easily fixed. 4+ years since getting it and I’m happy.

It’s still going strong. Since C19 I’ve been using it everyday for an hours ride and on longer rides still getting 30 miles + out of the battery. The only problem was one of the Brake Magnetic switch/sensor came unstuck, easily fixed. 4+ years since getting it and I’m happy.

Thanks for your comment! Glad to hear it is still going strong!

Although I am Dutch I don’t like Whenever I get on a bike it starts to rain and or the wind picks up.
But this year my wife bought a Cube hybrid bike and I must say it’s brilliant.
Not to expensive like the Kalkhoff but you do get the quality.

This popped up on a feed today that caught my eye. I like the idea of a folding electric bike for the van.

I've just bought a Moustache Friday 28.5 eBike which is pitched at the urban/commute market. My wife has one on order too. We bought them so we would me much more likely to put the bikes on the back of the van when going away anywhere, including abroad. Knowing that very few hills are going to kill you is good to know. It's a fab bike (except for 3 punctures in the first week which I traced to bad tape fixing onto the wheel rim) and we choose this model as its one of the lighter e-bikes to make lifting on and off the standard Cali bike rack do-able. I say lighter, but still very very heavy compared to our normal bike, coming in around the 20kg mark!. Once I've used it more and we've done some trips together, I'll put a mini review on here. One of the plusses of me buying the bike is selling my other two bikes for £550 each on eBay to make space for this beast :)

Simon

We are waiting for our Swytch Brompton electric conversion kits (it been a long wait) but confirmed in transport, should be with us in 4wks hopefully. They have had great reviews so we ordered them so Chris my wife could use hers to and from the office in London, but due to Covid she has now closed her office and Is working from home.
We did think of cancelling the order but decided not to as they will be great for the Cali.

Last edited:
I recently joined the ebike gang. Picked up a Haibike a few weeks and simply love it.

After getting laughed on my 'small mtb bike' (23yrs old and counting) by my 11yr old on her new bike with 29ers a few months back I started to look into it and couldnt get past ebikes so drew up a very short list and started looking about.

it cost way more than I'd normally spend on a bike but nothing as bonkers as some of the emtb's that are out there. What with its bosch motor and my new found enthusiasm to get out and about its quite the marvel!

Have already downloaded a few apps and planned some longer offroad trails. Im no mountain bike nutter but do enjoy technical routes with some scenery thrown in and this thing just loves to encourage you onto the next outing.

Having covered more miles in 1 month than I have in 2 years on my old mtb it has definitely given me lift and offered me another positive reason for getting out and exploring.

A big :thumb from me :

20200808_130026.jpg

Not an electric bike but a suitcase sized electric scooter. Would easily fit in the back of a Cali.

IMG_4908.png

Back