Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Hook-Up T6 Problem . Not after reading Forum!!!!

fordyski100

fordyski100

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
T6 California Ocean All Loaded for its first trip tomorrow and i think "Not a bad idea to top batteries up on Electric Hook up at home before early departure tomorrow morning to France"..........................................
Oh no .......electric hook up symbol in display consul doesn't light up.
Check fuse rocker switch , its on ,
Check 3 pin connector , all ok,
Check Manual ......cant see anything i have done wrong ? Check and re-check.Check again and again....get angry , then deep breath and then .......throw toys out of pram and call VW all expletives i can think of !

Then blame myself for not checking this worked during the week !
Why didn't i check this before?Now its my fault!

Manual suggest charger issue.
Big job ,Wardrobe unit to come out!
No way this is getting done before my trip tomorrow morning .......Thats it , me and VW are finished!!!!!

Then i think , i wonder if anyone else has had this issue?
Search the forum and surprise surprise , I'm not alone!
I read that a few people have found that the lead to the battery charger next to the leisure battery under the cupboard is loose or not connected and that the electric hook up is not checked at PDI .
So after 3 hours of stressing i remove battery locker cover and i note a loose plug in cable .....heh presto push it in and connected symbol to mains appears on display consul ! (2 minute job!!!)
Phew!!!!

Moral of this is when you collect your new T6 ask the dealership to check electric hook up and make sure symbol is displayed on consul.Someone in Germany doesn't know how to connect a battery charger lead to the unit !

This little Saga goes to prove how Important this Forum is to Us all.
Many Thanks to @WelshGas who posted about this and gave a full explanation and photo in a previous post .Chances are without this information i would have been travelling to france tomorrow worrying whether the batteries would hold up for a week ! I know they would be fine by running the engine every couple of days , but electric hook up always feels much safer........and now the "good lady" can use her hairdryer on hook up!(And i don't have to ring dealer when i get back because i fixed it myself with grateful help from a great post from @WelshGas )

Keep Posting Tips Guys and Girls ......However small they may help someone one day .

Off we go!!!!!!!!!
Sarlat and Dordogne tomorrow !Yipee

Great stuff you fixed it , and most of all within' a short notice , indeed all the common problems are already written down on this forum . You only have to do the effort of looking some things up...using the search function or just scrolling down the section of the forum your problem falls in.
@WelshGas is a wel informed Cali owner ....:thumb

Enjoy your hols. Stayed in Souillac(nice little village)when travelling through a while ago...

I seem to have the same problem new T6 Cali mains not working, does anybody know where I can find @WelshGas original post showing how to find connection that may be loose/not connected?

Thanks John

Lovely to hear a great ending and thank you again to Paul (WG) for being the knight in shining Aluminium/steel

I seem to have the same problem new T6 Cali mains not working, does anybody know where I can find @WelshGas original post showing how to find connection that may be loose/not connected?

Thanks John
Open rear tailgate. L hand side in boot space there is a panel about a foot square. Undo catch, use a coin or large blade screwdriver. Remove Panel. Inside is the 2nd Leisure Battery and above it the Mains Charger Unit. On the L side of the Unit there is a plug, just like the plug you find on an electric kettle.
IMG_0184.JPG
Make sure this plug is pushed fully in. Hopefully this will sort your problem, as it did mine and a few others.

Thanks I will give that a go, will let you know how I get on. Much appreciated.

John

Thanks John
We had this problem this weekend.
Hooked up Friday night all good charging symbol on control panel (CP)
Saturday evening I turned on the CP to change the heater and the power symbol was not showing so I assumed the hook up had tripped so I checked and it was okay. Opened the rear wardrobe and pressed the trip button on the RCD and it tripped proving power was definitely reaching that.
Therefore it had to be the inverter/charger unit not working.
So I unplugged the EHU and waited 1 minute then reconnected and it came straight on with the power plug symbol showing and it was fine for the rest of the weekend.
I can only assume the unit failed/tripped internally and allowing it to power down properly reset it.
The difference here was ours was working but stopped for no reason opposed to a system that has never worked.

Thanks Loz, will have to look out for similar problem.

John

Fault corrected :) battery now charging from mains and the all important icon showing on the control panel, it was the connector loose, many thanks to Paul (WG). It looks like it could easy come loose in manufacture. Something for the dealers to check before handover, it only takes a couple of minutes to check.

John

Fault corrected :) battery now charging from mains and the all important icon showing on the control panel, it was the connector loose, many thanks to Paul (WG). It looks like it could easy come loose in manufacture. Something for the dealers to check before handover, it only takes a couple of minutes to check.

John
Unfortunately it's not part of the PDI,

Hard to belive so many have this issue with that connectcor.
Glad you sorted it out with help from the forum:thumb

Had the same intermittent problem yesterday and today with our new T6
After reading Fordyski100 excellent post now sorted
Thank you

Thanks to all - now added to my check list too. :)

Life saver !!!! I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to find the problem . Checked the fuse - cable and anything i could think of . Phoned the vw garage and they said i’d have to come in . One last look through the forum and here is the answer .... i ran outside and opened up the batterycomparmtement. Had a good look and gave that black wire a good push . Hooked the car up , put the display on . YES YES YES . Thanks . Saved me a load of money i think

Life saver !!!! I’ve been pulling my hair out trying to find the problem . Checked the fuse - cable and anything i could think of . Phoned the vw garage and they said i’d have to come in . One last look through the forum and here is the answer .... i ran outside and opened up the batterycomparmtement. Had a good look and gave that black wire a good push . Hooked the car up , put the display on . YES YES YES . Thanks . Saved me a load of money i think
Glad it helped