Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Hook up

Monica

Monica

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi
We are looking to buy a secon hand Beach. It will be used for daytrips and camping (with the addition of kitchen pod at the rear).
I though that electricity hook up waa a standard feature but I now realise it is not as many second hand vehicles come with leisure battery only.
It is a dealbreaker for me. What does the factory fitting include? Outside side connection and 240v sockets inside or just 12v? How many? Where?
Has anyone jad this hook up and 240v sockets fitted afterwards either by VW or by a conversion company? Was is a good result? How much did it cost? Thanks in advance.

It's standard on newer vans - when they first started selling them it was not fitted and then it was added to the standard build in a model year upgrade. I can't tell you when but I'm sure someone will know.

Think it was late 2013 that it became standard fitment.
Not heard of anyone having VW do the retrofit but plenty of people (including me) have added it. I did it myself but others have had conversion companies do the work. In parts it probably cost in the region of £200 (sockets, MCB/RCD distribution box, smart CTEK charger & ancillaries).
Have a search around the Beach section using 230V or hook up as a search term and there should be lots of threads about it.

It's like all things and depends on how much cash you want to throw at the job.

Basically a hook-up gives you a mains 240v supply via sockets (as many/few as rerquired) and a supply to a battery charger to support a leisure battery. Circuit protection (RCD) should be included.
Chargers can be cheap and nasty or hi end. Cheap and nasty will buzz and hum and keep you awake at night.
Hi end ones will be silent and also charge the starter battery when on hook-up to the mains.
Outputs are important as you need to be able to run a fridge (if installed) and charge the leisure battery.

All hook-up systems are wired with a split charge relay that effectively seperates the starter battery from leisure when parked so you don't drain the starter battery.

Loads more could be written but hopefully this will give you a rough idea.

Please don't opt for one that puts the hook-up plug under the bonnet!

Pod.

As an aside and at risk of hijacking the thread/upsetting people - Why buy a Beach and convert? Surely money would be better spent buying the proper item?

Personally (my opinion so it only matters to me) I feel the Beach is an overpriced van with a roof.
Adding bits of bolt on kitchen to the boot will only devalue the vehicle as you're creating a niche van.

Just putting it out there.......

Hi
As an aside and at risk of hijacking the thread/upsetting people - Why buy a Beach and convert? Surely money would be better spent buying the proper item?

Personally (my opinion so it only matters to me) I feel the Beach is an overpriced van with a roof.
Adding bits of bolt on kitchen to the boot will only devalue the vehicle as you're creating a niche van.

Just putting it out there.......

Thanks for your opinion.
Nobody said 'bolt on'. It will be a removable pod. We like the versatility of the beach to use it for day trips etc and the caravelle type rail system.

Hi

Thanks for your opinion.
Nobody said 'bolt on'. It will be a removable pod. We like the versatility of the beach to use it for day trips etc and the caravelle type rail system.
I agree - the Beach is the version for me - best of all worlds ...... im getting one of these boxes to slip in under the board - ticks all my boxes .... x

It's like all things and depends on how much cash you want to throw at the job.

Basically a hook-up gives you a mains 240v supply via sockets (as many/few as rerquired) and a supply to a battery charger to support a leisure battery. Circuit protection (RCD) should be included.
Chargers can be cheap and nasty or hi end. Cheap and nasty will buzz and hum and keep you awake at night.
Hi end ones will be silent and also charge the starter battery when on hook-up to the mains.
Outputs are important as you need to be able to run a fridge (if installed) and charge the leisure battery.

All hook-up systems are wired with a split charge relay that effectively seperates the starter battery from leisure when parked so you don't drain the starter battery.

Loads more could be written but hopefully this will give you a rough idea.

Please don't opt for one that puts the hook-up plug under the bonnet!

Pod.
Very useful info. Thanks!

Hi Monica we do loads of beach 240v hook-ups and would be happy to install one for you on a second hand beach. Perhaps we could even chat about pods :thumb
If you would like to give me a call on 07739508050 I would be more than happy to take the time to chat to you about your (potential) beach and pod.

Back