Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Hookup (EHU) not working

kp64zl

kp64zl

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Have just realised that the electric hook up on my 2019 Beach isn't working.

I've checked the input cables to the van with my multimeter and they are reading correctly (~240v) but no output at the 3-pin socket.

Haven't noticed this all year as have been running on solar .

Please could someone advise me which fuses to check? anything else needs checking?

thanks ever so much

Have just realised that the electric hook up on my 2019 Beach isn't working.

I've checked the input cables to the van with my multimeter and they are reading correctly (~240v) but no output at the 3-pin socket.

Haven't noticed this all year as have been running on solar .

Please could someone advise me which fuses to check? anything else needs checking?

thanks ever so much
Has the RCD tripped?

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I'm sorry I don't know where the RCD is or whether I even have one on my Beach

I'm sorry I don't know where the RCD is or whether I even have one on my Beach
I don't know the Beach but I would expect it to be pretty close to the external mains socket (but inside).

It's where the Jack is. But when you remove the cover you cant see it. It is tucked up inside higher up.

OK -thanks for that - quick search reveals that I may find the RCD up inside the toolbox.....will go outside and have a look....

Thanks for that everyone --- @ArunAlec was correct -- the RCD had tripped.

Unfortunately, it just keeps flipping back -- so I get electricity through for about 4 seconds then it cuts out.

So clearly there is a reason why this is happening.....

Does it trip as soon as you plug a cable in or without ? It could be a fault in the hook up cable. Can you try another one or take the plugs apart to check them?

Have you anything plugged in to the socket ?

@flying banana --- I've not tried disconnecting the hook up cable - so will try that & try another cable too. [EDIT - DIFFERENT CABLE = SAME PROBLEM]

@calikev -- RCD trips both with and without anything plugged into the 240v socket in the van. But the socket does work for the few seconds after I've flicked it up. Testing with a children's night light (low power)

additional info -- I've a solar panel set up that was installed by @Roger Donoghue and I've also hard wired my fridge in to the leisure batteries (via anderson connectors) -- RCD still trips with fridge disconnected - but perhaps there is some wiring issue at the leisure battery?

Last edited:
It could be the RCD itself that's faulty.
They work by comparing the current in both the live and neutral connections, if there is no leakage to earth, then the current in both is equal. I think the fitted RCD allows for 10mA leakage (difference in L - N) before tripping. This has to be downstream of the RCD, ruling out the hook-up cable and the external socket. This can be due to moisture in around insulation of the conductors so make sure that the RCD, internal wiring, battery charger and the kitchen socket are dry, it doesn't take much... You could try disconnecting the wiring if accessible to see if the breaker resets ok.

i would guess hook up cable have you tried a different one?

The RCD (RCBO) will only trip on a fault within the van...

That is what I would expect. A fault in the hookup cable would trip/fuse the supply to the hookup cable.

I’d also be very surprised if a fault in the 12 volt system (solar or fridge) could be tripping the system. The 240v socket in the van or the 240v ac to 12v dc transformer are the most likely suspects.

Last edited:
i would guess hook up cable have you tried a different one?

Yes I have tried different hook up cable with same outcome

So I guess probably either a problem with the RCD or within the van.

Is there anything else I can test myself easily before I get professional help? I am not an electrician!

If you have the time, try to dry out the interior of any humidity / moisture within the areas of the 240V wiring. Worth a try as 240V can track over the slightest dampness, which with the winter cold, causes condensation anywhere there is lack of airflow, behind cupboards, etc. This might take a few days to clear...

edit - don't know about the Beach, does it have a leisure battery with mains charger fitted? If it does, disconnect the charger by pulling the mains feed to discount it. That should only leave the kitchen socket as the sole 240V item?

Last edited:
  • Agree
If you are getting 3 or 4 seconds of power before a trip I would be surprised if it was moisture. Breakers are designed to trip in milliseconds not seconds, so if there is a leak to earth because of moisture it would go straight away.

To me it sounds like something is taking a couple of seconds to power-up and then causes the fault condition. For example the control electronics of a device power up then activate the main power drawing elements which has a fault. It could be an over current event that causes the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree, I think all that's fitted is the battery charger (on my Ocean anyway) which is why I suggested disconnecting it to discount it.

• Agree
The RCBO will only operate/trip with mains attached so the problem is in the van.
it will only be the mains so forget about an 12v stuff.
as @MartG says find and disconnect the battery charger next.
then check for moisture behind the mains socket.

Dont know about rcds in a van, but normal rcds fail,all the time, with the error you describe. Probably needs exchanging.

My 2016 cali did the same, it was a loose connection fixed under warranty.

Ok the connection is under the wardrobe Kitchen area, it was just loose so was not a big deal.

OK -- just had a call from the van centre -- slightly worrying as this kind of thing is not usual for them, it's a local vw van service centre that clearly doesn't see many Californias.

They have identified that the fault is as I described it but want to take the panels out of the van to look at the wiring loom more closely.

They seem to have the wrong wiring diagram as had to tell them there's not an inverter in my Beach.

My questions are...

1) does anyone here have the wiring diagram for the 240v side of my beach (early 2019) that they could share with me?

2) I'm assuming it's something simple like input --> RCD --> 3pin socket with separate wire to a 240v to 12v charger --> leisure battery. is that correct

3) can anyone tell me where the 240v to 12v charger is located? under seat perhaps?

I've asked them to look under the seat / test RCD & charger first -- I'm not super-keen that they start removing internal panels at this point as I don't really want internal damage associated with panels coming on and off.

Back