Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

electric side door

pjm-84

pjm-84

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
All well and good for 11000miles but now made contact with my wheel arch:headbang.

Annoyed and back to Breeze when I return for more warranty work. I thought VW had fixed. / bodged this?

A quick update.

The issue is related to side door adjustment. VW have a technical bulletin on the subject which applies to both powered and non powered side doors on the California / Caravelle .

The side door has now been "adjusted" and provides visually around 10mm more space. (Still has the shimmer)

Sadly it needs to go back to have some paintwork and embarrassingly the door failed to close when I picked the vehicle up this afternoon........VAG:headbang.

After the 5th or 6th attempt it seems to have settled down.........

:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Seems I had a Smart repair, not happy, and now have a spray line that follows the wheel arch. I can feel it by hand and see it with a torch so i'm currently trying to understand how VW perceive their customers......

Back to the dealers. Breeze in Southampton.

Seems to go from bad to worse.

Sprayed and 110% apparently only to arrive at the dealer to see a totally different white panel on the van. Now back in at Harwoods. So noticeable its was embrassing and an insult to my intelligence

Have spoken with VW customer care. After explaining the situation I was asked directly what the purpose of my call was and what I was aiming to achieve by having this conversation.......... :headbang (A manager will be calling me back on Tuesday)

I'm coming to conclusion if its not right this time I will take it out of VW hands and pay to have it fixed properly, and pursue VW through the small claims court.

Good luck with small claims, I took a "customer" to small claims well over a year ago due to non payment and still nothing has happened despite me chasing my local court a couple of times, would be much better if VW can sort it out.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Seems to go from bad to worse.

Sprayed and 110% apparently only to arrive at the dealer to see a totally different white panel on the van. Now back in at Harwoods. So noticeable its was embrassing and an insult to my intelligence

Have spoken with VW customer care. After explaining the situation I was asked directly what the purpose of my call was and what I was aiming to achieve by having this conversation.......... :headbang (A manager will be calling me back on Tuesday)

I'm coming to conclusion if its not right this time I will take it out of VW hands and pay to have it fixed properly, and pursue VW through the small claims court.
I learnt something the other day in that before you go to Small Claims Court, you now have to jump through an additional hoop off showing you have sought a solution through alternative dispute resolution (ADR) where available for the trader you are having problems with.

VW dealers, through the Retail Motor Industry Federation, appear to be subscribed to the Alternative Dispute Resolution procedure operated by National Conciliation Service. Further details can be obtained from their website www.nationalconciliationservice.co.uk

Thanks. VW customer service are now involved and appear to be customer friendly.

The dealer picked the Cali up this morning and wasn't happy with the colour. It was redone and there is still a difference which the dealer flagged. The local VW bodyshop* have said they cant do anymore and now the matter has been escalated back to VW with pictures.

* I would avoid the VW approved bodyshop for my area.

Quick update.

Side door has made contact with the wheel arch again. Light abrasion. No surprise. The Cali has been back and I'm advised that they have again re-adjusted the side door.

Now the interesting item in this is that the original action on the side door had a pronounced "jiggle" toward the end of the open cycle. The latest adjustments have near enough eliminated this (95% diminished) . It gives me a degree of confidence for the future

If you have an electric side door it may be worth having a look at yours.

Has anybody successfully had a electric side door fixed that doesn't hit wheel arch ? . 9 years on still hitting arch now and again. It's had a new motor and iit still touches sometimes.

No.....

Had to have the motor replaced. Jiggle now back with a vengeance. Side door now engaging with the wheel arch again. Arse and elbow seem to spring to mind. Booked in for another week at the dealer to try and resolve the problem before repainting. Caddy van time again.

Had to have the motor replaced. Jiggle now back with a vengeance. Side door now engaging with the wheel arch again. Arse and elbow seem to spring to mind. Booked in for another week at the dealer to try and resolve the problem before repainting. Caddy van time again.
Please post if they manage to fix it would be interested what they actual adjust .

Oh dear!

VW clearly have not sorted this problem, my 2019 Cali has been into local VW dealer to adjust the door. which was slowly grinding paint off my rear wheel arch. At the moment I have some clear tape over the area to check it is not still catching (it is) before they think about what the body shop will do to my wheel arch. - Me thinks perhaps I might take some detailed photos of the van before it disappears off to be 'touched up'?

Mine been fine the last 3years. Motor and latching replaced, along with a new arms etc.

Just make sure they don't try and do a smart repair. Rear quarter needs to be painted and blended in across the side door.

And the side door saga continues!

VW UK have now apparently accepted that it is subject of my manufactures warranty (good that saves some civil court time!).

My local dealership/workshop tell me that they are still waiting (now 10 months since it first went in to them) to hear from VW UK as to what to do - I wonder are they telling me porkies in the hope I will go away??

Any way, just to be helpful to my local dealership I have written to VW UK asking why they are unable to advise their dealership workshops how to resolve this issue.

We wait to see what happens now.

I have seen on another forum reference to TPI No. 2040818/3, can anybody out there point me to this so I can read it please, or direct me to any other technical information that VW circulate on this matter.

Cheers

JJ

im yet to start my battle with VW for the exact same thing on my 2019 Cali.

Cant wait. :rolleyes:

We had this battle years ago, there is a software fix that adjusts the sensitivity and cures the problem. Never have an electric door again.

I will be removing the cables and unplugging the motor very soon, even when my door does work correctly I don’t like it, as I often like to open it 6 inches, The only way to do that is switching it off and then the door is heavy, The electric door is not a option I would ever choose again,

You can have it converted back to manual by an third party. It was an option I was considering 3 years ago due to the ongoing saga with the door

We didn't choose the electric door, that was an option fitted to our ex-demonstrator van. Regrettably I was not aware of the problems with the sliding door of the VW California prior to purchase, but more important I was foolish enough to be taken in by the VW sales line, 'you have a manufacturers warranty which which is there to provide you with the reassurance that VW resolve any manufacturing faults you have'.

So to sum up; we can spend well over £50K on a motor car with a door that malfunctions, that it would appear the manufacturer has known about for some time, who is unable to advise their dealer workshops of a resolution?

I am still keen to have sight of the wording of TPI 2040818/3 if anybody can help please.

We didn't choose the electric door, that was an option fitted to our ex-demonstrator van. Regrettably I was not aware of the problems with the sliding door of the VW California prior to purchase, but more important I was foolish enough to be taken in by the VW sales line, 'you have a manufacturers warranty which which is there to provide you with the reassurance that VW resolve any manufacturing faults you have'.

So to sum up; we can spend well over £50K on a motor car with a door that malfunctions, that it would appear the manufacturer has known about for some time, who is unable to advise their dealer workshops of a resolution?

I am still keen to have sight of the wording of TPI 2040818/3 if anybody can help please.
One of the members on the Cali board. de Forum has a copy of the TPI which he has offered to email.
See here Post 4.
Google Translate works if you don't read German.

Hi WelshGas, Yes please if you manage to get a copy of the TPI please do forward copy to me please, either through this forum of via PM, which ever you feel appropriate.

We had this battle years ago, there is a software fix that adjusts the sensitivity and cures the problem. Never have an electric door again.
I wish I hadn't specified it for my soon-to-be-delivered (maybe) Cali, but it's too late to change it. Will be checking it's operation (and wheel-arch clearance) as soon as it arrives 8-(

I wish I hadn't specified it for my soon-to-be-delivered (maybe) Cali, but it's too late to change it. Will be checking it's operation (and wheel-arch clearance) as soon as it arrives 8-(
I collect mine tomorrow. Will be checking.

Reactions: Sad
I do hope that your new 6.1 is ok GG, do make sure you keep a close eye on the rear wheel arch as it seems that the door can settle over time, so even if it is not catching tomorrow it does not mean that in 3 or 4 months time it wont be.