Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Sidedoor Kickback

Private_Kelly

Private_Kelly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I don't know if kickback is the correct term. When I close the electric sliding door it kicks back as if something is in the way. Why do these doors do this. I have cleaned the runners and the mechanism and it will be OK for a bit then just when you think it is sorted it kicks back again. It gets a bit frustrating...Beep beep beep beep ...oh it's open again.

I don't know if kickback is the correct term. When I close the electric sliding door it kicks back as if something is in the way. Why do these doors do this. I have cleaned the runners and the mechanism and it will be OK for a bit then just when you think it is sorted it kicks back again. It gets a bit frustrating...Beep beep beep beep ...oh it's open again.
Mine did the same. Fixed by the dealer who said the sensitivity of this safety feature is a software adjustment.

Thanks ArunAlec. It is due a service this month so will mention it. It is a unholy pain in the bottom though. Will it won't it will it won't it. Beep Beep Beep. Nearly closed oh no it opening again.....

Is it the fully automatic-push the button-door or the manual -just pulling the last part electric-door?

Hotel California...it is the fully automatic door. Well that's the theory. It gets about three quarters closed and then kicks back and opens again. I end up closing it by giving it a good shove. It should be a click of the remote and walk away but alas no. I would say it works about 50% of the time.

In the manual it says you can override the rollback function in the event the door won't close by pressing and holding the door close button on the dashboard.

I've never tried this so can't say if it works or not.

Last edited:
Thanks idandelions. I'll give it a go.

The OP described a Beep, Beep, Beep so fully automatic.

I was thinking the beep beep beep replaced his f-words....;)

Hotel California...it is the fully automatic door. Well that's the theory. It gets about three quarters closed and then kicks back and opens again. I end up closing it by giving it a good shove. It should be a click of the remote and walk away but alas no. I would say it works about 50% of the time.
Our Cali is 8 years old but our electric door also does this - not quite 50-50 but not far off. Like you I just give it a helpful shove just before it gets to the kickback point.
We have a separate button on the dash to turn off the electric function but there is a lot of resistance from the motor which makes the door very heavy to open and close, my wife can barely do it in fact.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

OK. I have just had my van serviced and my front brakes needed new discs etc so I am living on baked beans for the next 6 months.
The VW garage informed me that a motor has gone and it would cost....wait for it...£300.00 to replace. The door works fine most of the time so how they figure a motor needs replacing is behond me. Needless to say I told them to go swing a cat!!!!!

OK. I have just had my van serviced and my front brakes needed new discs etc so I am living on baked beans for the next 6 months.
The VW garage informed me that a motor has gone and it would cost....wait for it...£300.00 to replace. The door works fine most of the time so how they figure a motor needs replacing is behond me. Needless to say I told them to go swing a cat!!!!!
In relation to other California prices that doesn't seem too bad.

I would have asked them to put it in writing that replacing this motor would guarantee the problem was fixed. If not then they would replace the old motor and reimburse the cost.

Yes Welsh Gas probably a sound idea. It worked flawlessly today. I really don't think there is anything wrong with the electric motor whatsoever. I trust garages as much as i trust politicians. Unfortunately they are a necessary evil.

I think if I bought another Cali l would prefer a manual side door. I like bells and whistles when they work. I also don't like the silly beeping the door makes when it is closing. Electric motors are fine but they burn juice and are heavy plus eventually they will conk out....they just will...and then the wallet has to come out.
I think vehicles nowadays in general are too sophisticated and that makes them inherently unreliable.

Hi everyone! We have a 2012 T5 California and have the same Kickback problem with our sliding door. Thanks for the video above - really clear and helpful. I have tried this and reduced the length of the bottom cable to take out the slack. This worked for a while but now the door still gets to within 6 inches of closing and then kicks back again. Like the previous people, I have to physically close it with a very strong push.
I am wondering if anyone has a similar aged vw and can give any further advice?

Hi everyone! We have a 2012 T5 California and have the same Kickback problem with our sliding door. Thanks for the video above - really clear and helpful. I have tried this and reduced the length of the bottom cable to take out the slack. This worked for a while but now the door still gets to within 6 inches of closing and then kicks back again. Like the previous people, I have to physically close it with a very strong push.
It’s a pretty known issue for electric sliding doors on Calis.

I’ve heard of people disconnecting the electric door by snipping the wires connected to the motor…

As everyone knows you can use the door in 'manual' mode but as you have to push against the tension of the cable/pulleys/motor it is very stiff.

In short the easiest thing is to remove or cut the cable, simple as that.

First remove the long cover panel over the main upper door track - a Torx screw at the front on the C pillar (you'll need a right angle tool) and the other behind the OS rear light cluster.

The panel is held on with trim buttons too - prise off carefully as it is thin and flexible and easy to crease. You'll need to carefully manipulate it off at the C pillar end

Over the "while" that you mention, the cable has obviously stretched out more. that cable has lasted you 11 years. Maybe time to change? It is fairly easy to change at home, or get a competent mechanic to change it for you. The door will surely thank you for some new parts ;) :thumb

One video on how to replace -

Over the "while" that you mention, the cable has obviously stretched out more. that cable has lasted you 11 years. Maybe time to change? It is fairly easy to change at home, or get a competent mechanic to change it for you. The door will surely thank you for some new parts ;) :thumb

One video on how to replace -
Thankyou very much for your reply. Yes, you're probably right and I will look into replacing the cable. I'll let this thread know how I get on. Cheers and fingers crossed.

Thankyou very much for your reply. Yes, you're probably right and I will look into replacing the cable. I'll let this thread know how I get on. Cheers and fingers crossed.
Id there any update on this issue?

Back