Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric windows stuck in closed position

mikeysr

mikeysr

Vehicle
N/A
I just started to drive the 1996 Cali.. The drivers window and passenger windows have suddenly stopped in closed position. I can not think of anything that I have done to cause this...clean tracks, no jams etc...any suggestions

That's what I thought...checked the fuse box and couldn't find anything burnt. The vehicle is extremely clean, wires, body etc...it seems weird that they would suddenly stop...i will recheck fuses...it is like I inadvertently hit the kids safety lock

How are the cables to the doors? They tend to break after a couple of years.
You can't open the windows from both doors?

The rubber appears to be new. No cracks, dirt build up, tears etc

Did you check the wires themselves? Or just the big rubber hose around them? You need to pull the rubber out to be able to see the wires.

Are you using the switch on the drivers door ?

Try using the passenger switch, it may be a failed switch, If the window on the passenger side works from the switch on the passenger side it’s the driver switch that’s bust. I had one go on a T5.1 no warning just stopped working. Very cheap and easy fix to replace the double switch.

You can check if the windows work by Pressing and hold the open button on the key fob, the windows should drop after about 5 seconds, you can then raise the windows by pressing and holding the lock button.

Are you using the switch on the drivers door ?

Try using the passenger switch, it may be a failed switch, If the window on the passenger side works from the switch on the passenger side it’s the driver switch that’s bust. I had one go on a T5.1 no warning just stopped working. Very cheap and easy fix to replace the double switch.
Both stopped working at the same time... I think it has to be a fuse...

I believe the window fuse is the yellow 4th in from right side of picIMG_0811.jpeg

You can check if the windows work by Pressing and hold the open button on the key fob, the windows should drop after about 5 seconds, you can then raise the windows by pressing and holding the lock button.
no key fob...

On a T4?

I believe the window fuse is the yellow 4th in from right side of picView attachment 44370
Not sure if the yellow (20A) is the right one. I would rather think its is 30A (green) or higher (40A, but that one I can't see here).
Don't you have more fuses anywhere else? If you pull out the whole fusebox?
Release the left and right clamp and pull it out.

I just started to drive the 1996 Cali.. The drivers window and passenger windows have suddenly stopped in closed position. I can not think of anything that I have done to cause this...clean tracks, no jams etc...any suggestions
i tracked down a fuse box behind and above ...here was an electric window blown fuse...

Good job!

Now let's hope there is nothing really wrong causing the fuse to blow.
You'll see. Maybe the window was stuck and the motor had to work harder, pulling more amps, causing the fuse to blow?

Back