Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electrical circuit

J

Jude

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Under the seat on my Grand California 2020 model I am sure I found the voltage converter. It has two plugs. A white and a yellow. The white appears to be connected to the socket on the side of the seat with two wires. The yellow is definitely connected to the battery. Problem is that even when connected to the mains power the battery doesn’t charge and there’s no power in the socket. I looked and found a wire with a kettle plug lying loose under the seat. It has 220v when the mains is connected to the van. I can see nowhere it should plug in. What’s going on?
I looked in the electrical cupboard. Mains in from external to the switch panel and multiple mains going out. No charger or voltage converter there or below.
The unit under the seat has cooling fins so I’m sure that’s it.
Can anyone help a nomadic, somewhat elderly, solo traveler?

There is kettle plug (IEC60320 C13) connector that plugs into the GC mains powered leisure battery charger which is located under the left side seat (UK passenger side). The only other connector to that charger is a 4 wire grey connector (-ve, leisure +ve, starter +ve & mains present +12V high signal). UK spec vans do not have anything else under that seat but perhaps your van has an inverter (12Vdc to 230Vac) fitted. Can you take a picture ?

There is kettle plug (IEC60320 C13) connector that plugs into the GC mains powered leisure battery charger which is located under the left side seat (UK passenger side). The only other connector to that charger is a 4 wire grey connector (-ve, leisure +ve, starter +ve & mains present +12V high signal). UK spec vans do not have anything else under that seat but perhaps your van has an inverter (12Vdc to 230Vac) fitted. Can you take a picture ?

IMG_20240820_145542_730.jpg

1 Socket on side of seat
2 red and black to the socket
3 loose kettle plug
4 front of box with radiator fins above
Yellow plug has 12 v. Red and brown
White-black plug has wires to the side socket.

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_20240820_145542_730.jpg

I don't recognise the unit with the orange plug, but the grey plug with the 4 wires comes from your hookup charger and that's where the kettle plug needs to be plugged into to feed the 230Vac to the unit. If the front of the van is the 'north' the input for that kettle plug is usually on the 'east' side under the seat. Find the unit that the cabling attached to the grey plug goes to, see arrow.

Screenshot 2024-08-20 at 16.21.38.png

Back