Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electrical Hook up length?

I have 2 10m cables and sometimes I use one, sometimes both. I always make sure the batteries are fully charged and the fridge and contents are cold before leaving home so if I'm only staying overnight I often don't bother to plug in.

I bought a 25m hook up and an extra pair of ends. Cut the 25m and made up a 10m and 15m. Very rarely need to join them and much cheaper than buying two hook up leads.
I also did that. Mostly need one part. I store that in the back. The other part is rolled up in a small roll and is stored in the engine compartment on top of the battery. There is quite some space there. It stays there, out of the way. I only need it a few times per year.

I made up yellow artic cable to 30 and 20 metre lengths. In France I have had to use both on numerous occassions and one time joined at 50m only just made it.

If you want to roll up a cable without getting it twisted and looking like a bowl of spaggetti you need to start with buying a decent soft rubber hosed cable and not just any cable out a DIY shop. Also one that can take the pressure of a other camper riding over when on the ground .
Sometimes you need to cros the campsite road to get to the plug and this means everyone will be riding accros your cable .
If you got a souple cable even a 10y old can roll it up in his hand without twisting.

As @bigmac77 says stretch it out unroll the twists and then roll it up holding it in one hand .
Hi HC
do you mean the ones they call 'heavy duty'?

@Izzi , could be they call them so , don't know ...

Arctic cable is good, but it is still PVC. Even better cable for extension leads is rubber, to HO7RN. These cables are really easy to coil up - they don't end up looking like a snakes wedding and easy to uncoil. If you are using a long extension, then it should really have 2.5 sq mm conductors, even though 1.5 sq mm is rated at 16 A. I have used this site for cables: www.toughleads.co.uk.

I have several cables between 10 m and 25 m long, with 16 A commando connectors on both ends, then I've got UK and Schuko (EU) adaptors for the supply end and a 4-way UK socket adaptor for the other end. If I need a long lead I just connect them together and make sure that the connections won't end up in a puddle if it rains.
Do some camp sites insist the cables have to be orange or yellow - the rubber ones seem to be black|?

@Izzi , could be they call them so , don't know ...
Ok - I now realise they mean 2.5mm thickness when they say 'heavy duty' as opposed to 1.5mm thickness. Now I am wondering whether to get the rubber cable (in black) or yellow arctic 2.5mm cable (possibly for a Scottish winter)??

I carry a 100 metre hook up cable, that way I am covered for all eventualities!, also makes a good outside heater when coiled up.

I agree 10M isn’t always long enough, but it does fit nicely under the bonnet in the space by the battery.

We don’t often stay more than two nights in one place & I’m realising hook-up is mostly a waste of money for us with just a small beer fridge, minimal LED internal lighting & occasional heater use.

Arctic cable is good, but it is still PVC. Even better cable for extension leads is rubber, to HO7RN. These cables are really easy to coil up - they don't end up looking like a snakes wedding and easy to uncoil. If you are using a long extension, then it should really have 2.5 sq mm conductors, even though 1.5 sq mm is rated at 16 A. I have used this site for cables: www.toughleads.co.uk.

Thanks @mccp - a heavy duty rubber 20M 2.5 sqmm is £28, so my orange 10M will now live in my Dads garage to make my monthly 240v mains top-up easier. Cheers!

All Caravan and Motorhome Club sites will accept a 25 m cable, whichever way round you go into a pitch, its their standard length for all sites. I discovered this when I couldn't reach the plug in in Fort William last week. with my short version. Luckily they sold me a 25m cable - how fortunate!

We just went for the orange 25 mtr. from the shop and never looked back. We have been on +30 campsites places and only one time we lent an extension from the camping personnel. It is true, it gets stiffer in the cold but cannot recall being unable to roll it on depart. In the beginning, we always went for a hookup, but now we are more relaxed and do only use it when staying longer.

I carry two, 10m and 15m, sometimes three - another 10m. Most of the time the 10m works for me. When it doesn't I just join the two together using a rain-proof shield.

10m to coil is so much easier on my arthritic fingers than 25m.

We do the same, not sure we've ever had to use both though. I tend to just ask if there another pitch with a closer electric most are accommodating if they have space.

Back