Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electricity

N

Nick CB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Having just had a row with “She who must be obeyed” it’s this. When parked up at home should you or should you not leave the hookup plugged in all the time?

Its a good idea to plug it in once a month.

Leaving it plugged in shouldn't do any harm and not plugging it in
won't harm it, you're both right.
Just plug it in now and again to keep it charged up.

VW recommend plugging it in for at least 24 hours once a month to completely top up the batteries.It can then be unplugged if you wish, or left plugged in if you wish.

So, who's winning?

Mines been plugged in for two weeks in the garage. Hasn’t set on fire yet

Mines been plugged in for two weeks in the garage. Hasn’t set on fire yet
Lucky you.

If it should, there must be something very wrong. If you leave it plugged in, it will charge the batteries. Once they are topped up, the charger will go in trickle charge mode. So if everything works correct, nothing will ever happen.
But it is unnecessary to leave the van plugged in for lets say a month, if you would not use the van. After a few hours (max 24) the batteries are full and you can disconnect as the batteries will hold their charge for a couple of weeks without a problem.

Lucky you.

If it should, there must be something very wrong. If you leave it plugged in, it will charge the batteries. Once they are topped up, the charger will go in trickle charge mode. So if everything works correct, nothing will ever happen.
But it is unnecessary to leave the van plugged in for lets say a month, if you would not use the van. After a few hours (max 24) the batteries are full and you can disconnect as the batteries will hold their charge for a couple of weeks without a problem.
I aware of that. Just forgot it was on charge

Just a question- I know about the plug in once a month rule.
As I was using my Cali over the summer (and only got it in June) I haven’t had to do this until now.
However I do use Cali as daily driver and do about 200miles a week - should I still charge it for24hours once a month? I only ask as our last trip was at end August and it’s still showing 100% on control panel?
What’s everyone’s thoughts? Charge monthly just to be on safe side?
:)

I never do it, as I use it as my daily driver, but it won't harm to keep the leisure batteries topped up.

Just a question- I know about the plug in once a month rule.
As I was using my Cali over the summer (and only got it in June) I haven’t had to do this until now.
However I do use Cali as daily driver and do about 200miles a week - should I still charge it for24hours once a month? I only ask as our last trip was at end August and it’s still showing 100% on control panel?
What’s everyone’s thoughts? Charge monthly just to be on safe side?
:)
If you have Stop/Start then yes, the Leisure Batteries will benefit from a monthly charge on Mains unless you have a Solar Panel.

I know this might sound daft but what do I need to charge my van at home?

A lead long enough to go from a house/garage socket to the Cali with appropriate end connectors.

A lead long enough to go from a house/garage socket to the Cali with appropriate end connectors.
I've the Ehu that goes in the van but what abt the other end, do you have to have a 240 transformer?

If you already have a mains supply cable for on site use then an adapter will do such as this

Alternative is a dedicated mains cable for connecting to a UK 13amp socket. such as.

No Transformer needed as that is already in the Cali electrical system.

Why do you suggest plug in at home if it’s your daily drive, doesn’t the daily drive keep the leisure batteries topped up?
If you have Stop/Start then yes, the Leisure Batteries will benefit from a monthly charge on Mains unless you have a Solar Panel.
Why stop/start? If it’s a daily van doesn’t the drive keep the leisure battery charged?

Why do you suggest plug in at home if it’s your daily drive, doesn’t the daily drive keep the leisure batteries topped up?

Why stop/start? If it’s a daily van doesn’t the drive keep the leisure battery charged?
Daily driving will top the Leisure Batteries upto 80% or so of their full capacity because of the way the BlueMotion/ Regenerative Braking/Smart Alternator system works. Plenty of information on the Forum regarding this. Charging on Mains, as detailed in the Handbook, prolongs the Leisure Batteries life. An alternative is a Solar Panel or a DC - DC charger in place of the Split Charge Relay.

And don’t forget that as well as keeping the leisure battery(s) in tip-top condition through regular charging it is advised to ensure the diesel powered heater is run for least 30 minutes every month (if you have one).

And don’t forget that as well as keeping the leisure battery(s) in tip-top condition through regular charging it is advised to ensure the diesel powered heater is run for least 30 minutes every month (if you have one).
Good to know. Must get into a routine for batteries and heater. I don’t think I’ve run my diesel heater for half an hour in entirety in two years. The better half says it’s noisy and will annoy other campers. I disagree but pointless trying to argue.

Good to know. Must get into a routine for batteries and heater. I don’t think I’ve run my diesel heater for half an hour in entirety in two years. The better half says it’s noisy and will annoy other campers. I disagree but pointless trying to argue.

You can run the heater for half an hour when driving. Your better half will not notice the noise.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

They won't hear it over the tele.

Back