Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Emergency roof tie down kit

E

Elizabeth Silman

Just bought this from the Club shop but it has no instructions - does anyone have an idea how to use it?

Never fitted it, but think the small part slides onto the awning track and the bigger one slips into the roof rack slot at the front. Use the Velcro strap looped between the two to hold down the roof if the mechanism fails.

You should have two of these sets, one for each side.

Alan

Never fitted it, but think the small part slides onto the awning track and the bigger one slips into the roof rack slot at the front. Use the Velcro strap looped between the two to hold down the roof if the mechanism fails.

Alan

Was thinking the same , but what on the side where a wind out awnng is fit...
The rail is not acceseble , or just the front part.
Need to check ....

Was thinking the same , but what on the side where a wind out awnng is fit...
The rail is not acceseble , or just the front part.
Need to check ....
It only needs to fit right at the front so that the wind does not get under the roof and lift it off when the scissor mechanism is not locked down

The shape of the larger plastic part is designed to fit into the shaped slot at the front of the roof rail.

Alan

Front part of the rail.

Pray to whoever you believe in it is going to be the most redundant item in the Cali "essential" bag. If I ever had to use it then I would just blankly give it, still in it's wrapping, to the VW assist man, having no idea how to use it or how to get the roof down if was in the "Up" position in the first place :sad

It only needs to fit right at the front so that the wind does not get under the roof and lift it off when the scissor mechanism is not locked down

The shape of the larger plastic part is designed to fit into the shaped slot at the front of the roof rail.

Alan

Correct , was sitting inside biting my fingernails becose i cloud not answer without beeing 100% sure....god i am a Cali-nerd:D
So out to the garage....
The emergency strap fitted on the right hand side of the Cali with a wind out awning.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Front part of the rail.

Pray to whoever you believe in it is going to be the most redundant item in the Cali "essential" bag. If I ever had to use it then I would just blankly give it, still in it's wrapping, to the VW assist man, having no idea how to use it or how to get the roof down if was in the "Up" position in the first place :sad

Mine was still in the plastic bag in witch i got it at handover....
Seems the tablestrap , holding the kitchentable on the benchseat was also,in that bag! Togheter with the emergency straps.
I always thought i did not had one so i asked one last year at my dealer who gave one (free) . So now got two....need to get me a second table:D

I must check my bag then, 'cos I did the same thing, except I bought the table strap :headbang

Alan

Well, just yesterday leaving Blanes, Spain on the Costa Brava, I always ask the husband to watch the roof when closing. I left our pillows up top... The husband said all OK. Off we went and I just felt something not right - I heard wind whereas I shouldn't have because all windows were closed and aircon on. I insisted we pull over before getting on the motorway. Well thank god for a woman's instinct, because the roof was not completely closed above the driver's side. Well, if you want to know how to pass a brick sideways, this method will guarantee it. My next thought was how to use those straps on case roof would not raise or lower after raising. My guardian angel stepped in and the roof raised. I hurriedly took those blasted pillows out, mentally kicked myself (it will close with a tog 1 duvet, but not pillows it seems) and I don't think I ever recited so many Hail Marys when lowering the roof. She lowered and stayed put until we arrived about 5 hrs later. Good scary lesson learned and I pass this onto everybody. Thank you, Hotel California, for posting the video.

Glad you realised the problem and hopefully avoided further damage.
Nearly had a disaster once... the mattress had slipped toward the back of the van having had the upper bed pushed up for headroom.. thankfully a funny noise made me stop and check. I always stick my head up into the roof now thanks to all these tales.

Alan
I've just ordered the tie-down kit from the club shop, but it only came as a kit for one side - should I have recieved two, or should I have ORDERED two, which seems a bit daft as there was nothing in the description to say that.

Very strange , i got a set of two from new....
You do need to secure both sides , imo....no ?

You only require 1 as you are supposed to be Speed Restricted when you have lowered the roof manually.:thumb

Think I might order another to be sure, to be sure...........

Having experienced roof failure and having had to drive from one side of Scotland to the other in a reasonable time to get it repaired, there is no way I would risk driving with only one velcro lash down. The consequences of wind getting underneath the unsecured side and lifting up don't bear thinking of!

I'm pretty sure all vehicles should be supplied with two, our T5 and T6 were. Check the make sure you always carry them, you don't know how far you may have to drive with them securing your roof.

Having experienced roof failure and having had to drive from one side of Scotland to the other in a reasonable time to get it repaired, there is no way I would risk driving with only one velcro lash down. The consequences of wind getting underneath the unsecured side and lifting up don't bear thinking of!

I'm pretty sure all vehicles should be supplied with two, our T5 and T6 were. Check the make sure you always carry them, you don't know how far you may have to drive with them securing your roof.

I also think two straps are supposed to come on a new Cali....

I agree if you don't wish to restrict your driving speed then 2 might be advisable. However I don't think I would put all my faith in 2 plastic inserts and some Velcro.
I have a Comfortz Topper so have the Awning clips they use and a strong but soft awning strap across the roof. £26 for 2 is a bit steep if you don't have them.

Very much my thinking - also, on the 'take an umbrella' principle, that if I have two I'm never likely to need them!

Not when compared with the cost of the vehicle.........
Not to the vehicle but to a bought Tie Down strap to go across the roof from side to side it is. If you wish to keep it OEM then that's not a problem.
Mine can be used as a line when on site, so multi use and saves carrying stuff I hope never to use.:thumb