Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Emission Control Dashboard light

A

Andy Chivers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Guys, driving home this afternoon the Orange Emissions control light came on, I phoned VW Bristol...waste of space...and then got Green Flag out who diagnosed EGR valve fault...I’m supposed to be driving to Dorset tomorrow 70miles...I’ve driven Cali round a big block and all seems fine...anyone had same issue with EGR valve????

Oh and Bristol want £1488.00 to replace valve,!,

Guys, driving home this afternoon the Orange Emissions control light came on, I phoned VW Bristol...waste of space...and then got Green Flag out who diagnosed EGR valve fault...I’m supposed to be driving to Dorset tomorrow 70miles...I’ve driven Cali round a big block and all seems fine...anyone had same issue with EGR valve????

Oh and Bristol want £1488.00 to replace valve,!,
Milage?

Changing the EGR valve is expensive and more difficult on the 180 as the front has to be dismantled to get to it.

At least you will get the D suffix EGR which some blame for the increased oil consumption on the 2010/2011 Model Year CFCA 180 engines.

It sounds as if the EGR May have failed CLOSED as you didn’t go into Limp Mode.

I had this happen on mine, at 900 miles, and they were happy for me to drive the 80 miles to the Dealership and I had no problems.

29k miles...supposed to be going to Highlands End Farm tomorrow...don’t know whether to chance it or not..

Had the same problem on my 180 some years ago, was then a very common problem so much so that VW ran out of replacements. That meant that with the advice of my dealer (van under warranty at the time) I should keep on using it unless there was a noticeable performance change.
I guess we did at least 500 miles probably nearer 1000 before they could get the parts to change it.

Touch wood it has been OK since, now at 45,000 plus miles.

Rod