Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Emissions stickers

Trebor

Trebor

No looking back .
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
IMG_1048.JPG Just got my sticker for Hannover visit . Does anyone know what 4 means ? Are these stickers valid in France and other European countries ? Thanks .

Do you need emission stickers in The Netherlands yet? I will be going there in June.

My van is Euro 5 . Does this mean sticker is wrong with a 4 on it ? Can it be used in France ?

Umweltplakette is for Germany only .
Have you read the link posted above? It's in Englisch....explains everything.

In Germany and Hannover in particular, emissions class 4 is all the humble old T4 could manage and then only with a Particulate filter. T5's can manage emissions class 5, which is better than a four and the new T6 is a 6.

The whole thing is a sham though. I live 30 odd kilometres from Hannover and work in the city. I tried for months to find a T4 for sale that would meet the class 4 standard. However, I started to notice lots of vehicles in the city without the Umweltplakette and it got me thinking. I checked online and the fine is a paltry 60 Euros if you get caught. I subsequently bought a T4 (2.5tdi) that didn't meet the requirements for a class 4 Umweltplakette and in two years of popping into the city I've never had an issue. A parking fine, yes, but no ones batted an eyelid at the lack of Umweltplakette.

If your van meets the requirement, then there's no reason to not get one, but I really wouldn't worry about it.

If all the cities across Europe operated these ridiculous sticker schemes, I'm not sure I would be able to see out of my windscreen :)

The VW factory is outside the zone. You only need the sticker if driving into the city centre.

The California factory where they actually fit out the interior is inside the zone, it's just around the corner from where I work. The zone does extend out around most of the city. Like I said though, it's rarely, if ever enforced.

The California factory where they actually fit out the interior is inside the zone, it's just around the corner from where I work. The zone does extend out around most of the city. Like I said though, it's rarely, if ever enforced.
The VW factory is outside the zone. You only need the sticker if driving into the city centre.

Apologies are due, I've just checked online out of Curiosity and the Umwelt zone doesn't quite go as far as the Factory. The boundary is the 6, with the Umwelt zone to the East of the 6 and the factory just to the West. So no, neither of the Factories are in the Umwelt zone.

Well every days a school day.

Been to both the factory's in november and you need a umweltplakette.
Just get one if you are planning the club factory vistit , only costs a few € .
Why bother , you need to drive arround Hannover to campsite , supermarket ,...

Driving to the factory and then to the Cali plant maybe can be done without but simply why bother , i certainly passed the sings and as a foriegner i am not taking risks.
The umweltplakett is a one time buy as long as the verhicle and licence plates stay together.
Keep your reciept and if you need a window change you can get a new sticker for free.
It is reqiured also in other German city's ...so your fine to go elsewhere

Last edited:
Done 4 trips to Germany in the T2 and never bothered with the emissions stickers. I was concerned the 1st trip but never got pulled over.

I asked some germans which we met and they had no idea how it worked or policed!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

If you buy a sticker for Hanover is it valid for all German cities that have the same requirements?
The same sticker for all German cities?

If you buy a sticker for Hanover is it valid for all German cities that have the same requirements?
Yes.

Yes as above and for as long as the licence plate stays on the same verhicle....
You do not need to renew .
Keep your reciept in case the window needs change you get a replacement sticker.

Just got our French cities - critical air emissions sticker. Came in a week from order. However I cannot find definitive advice for the windscreen sticker position; the French Got site shows a video of it placed on the passenger side of left drive vehicles. Do right hand drive vehicles position sticker on the passenger side as well or copy the french and place on driver side and risk clear vision compromises?
Thanks in advance

Just got our French cities - critical air emissions sticker. Came in a week from order. However I cannot find definitive advice for the windscreen sticker position; the French Got site shows a video of it placed on the passenger side of left drive vehicles. Do right hand drive vehicles position sticker on the passenger side as well or copy the french and place on driver side and risk clear vision compromises?
Thanks in advance

Maybe there's some info here
https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/posts/232005/

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/french-city-vignettes.16993/#post-191621

Its placed in the same spot (lower right side) despite what side your steering wheel lives. It is a matter of what side of the road you drive in France ;-)

For about three euro's I've ordered two! One in each corner..:shocked

Thanks in advance
The instructions that came with mine said to place it on the right hand side of the windscreen. That's the passenger side in France, and the same side as French insurance and MOT tickets.