Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Emissions update for T6s registered before Dec 2017

Billywizz

Billywizz

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I’m a little confused on the emissions update, I must admit iv not done any research as yet but what does it involve in terms of emissions output as they are now higher after the update? I have a 2017 model and I’m assuming I will receive a letter asking me to bring my van in, but I don’t want an update and a certificate saying my van now has higher emissions, I take it it’s not a legal requirement to as in the last scandal my Caddy was one of the vans effected and I never had the update done as it’s remapped, but it’s wavered because of this. The update sounded a bodge job anyway with a slight ecu tweek and some metal gauze placed in the air intake. Is the T6 update similar?

I feel a bit like this too....
I very much doubt the result of any fix will provide any benefit to the owner. and I know people affected in the last scandal who's cars were never right after the applied software fix.
Unlike those who have had to wait for their vehicles, we have experienced how the vehicle we ordered performs so I am dreading dealer applied software updates that I could feasibly perceive as a weaker engine and less MPG to boot but don't care too much what MPG & CO2 emissions it says on the paperwork.
I will avoid any tampering like it's the plague.

Might it be an idea to re-title the thread to something like
'Emissions updates for T6's registered before Dec ?? 2018" ?

Title updated. I to will be avoiding any software update and leaving as is, I know plenty and heard of people having running problems like flat spots or rough idling after the update.

'Emissions updates for T6's registered before Dec ?? 2018" ?
I am concerned that VW will force updates on our late 2016 150 as and when it is serviced. Our van which as I have said has been faultless for 16000 miles with good MPG. Great idea to have a post to keep "pre Dec 2017" owners updated.

The only danger in my view is that the post will loose its way & fill up with post Dec 17 owners posting views on updates being done before release of new vans. Please keep this post on topic.

When VW asked for my Caddy in to be updated I told them it has been remapped (Update would wipe it to standard) so they always left that alone, I eventually got a letter for me to sign confirming I did not require this update. I am not sure if the T6s Emissions hold up is for the same test as back then it was a test they done at new and was never tested again for the life of the vehicle for any MOT.

My understanding is that unless the update can be shown to preserve components, vehicle reliability etc then VW have no grounds to threaten to invalidate warranties if the existing owner declines to have it done.

However I'm not an expert and any informed opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Personally I'm not going to fret over it.

Once something concrete manifests itself, in terms of a proposed service modification or whatever, I'm going on holiday. It's all conjecture and I'm not going to let Alfie get stressed over it.

I was told by my dealer that there would be no update for my 2017 150 dsg. That was back in January so i guess things could change.

I had our March 2016 150DSG serviced last summer, they did 3 "enhancements" as part of the service and I now I seem to get considerably lower MPG (10-20%). according to the on board computer.

I’ve had the reverse experience - my 150 DSG runs better with improved mpg & better start/stop.

Appreciate forums are for ‘shooting the breeze’, but little point speculating ahead of anything being proposed let alone applied.

I’ve had the reverse experience - my 150 DSG runs better with improved mpg & better start/stop.

Appreciate forums are for ‘shooting the breeze’, but little point speculating ahead of anything being proposed let alone applied.
Agreed! My T6 was serviced last week and nothing came up on this topic.

I believe these 'improvements' are irreversible.
Yes once the software is 'upgraded' by the VW Dealer they wouldn't be permitted by VW to degrade it in their eyes.
I doubt if they would have the original factory programme available.

My 2017 204 has an emissions figure of 179 and current ones have 205 with the Fix. I just wonder what my actual figure is currently.
Those are Lab. test figures so not real road use levels.

Despite VW pressuring the diesel gate fix, I have never had it done on our Tiguan, and they have just left us alone now. That said We have it Serviced at a independent garage with skilled mechanic I trust, not a VW dealer who I don’t.

Interesting link on the subject - the previous diesel gate fix is of course not mandatory.

https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/diesel...nto-believing-the-emissions-fix-was-mandatory

If you give explicit instructions not to apply any fix, then they can’t. It’s your vehicle. I wouldn’t worry about this at all, it would be a bad PR move to force owners to apply a fix that resulted in worse co2 emissions ( even if only theorically) compared to now.

B

Back