Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engaging 4WD

A

Angus

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Hello, please can someone help- I am heading back to severe weather conditions and need to make sure that I know how to engage the 4 WD. I have 2016 T6 Beach (left hand drive) . Is there a trick to engaging the 4WD drive option- does it kick in automatically - or is there a button that I haver to press.
Any advice gratefully received as we have about 1.5 metres of snow around our house.
Regards
Angus

It’s permanent

You may have to engage the diff lock if it becomes really tricky but unsure if you have that button

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
It’s permanent

You may have to engage the diff lock if it becomes really tricky but unsure if you have that button
Thank you.. please excuse my ignorance but how would I recognise a diff lock if I have one..( not in car st the moment)

There is a button on the dashboard.

EDIT:
It's an optional extra (as far as I know) and the picture below is not from a Cali.
EDIT2:
And if you don't know what it does, read up and don't just press it because it's "a lot of snow" :)
163-0412-4x4-27z%2B2004-nissan-titan%2Bdifferential-lock-controls-view.jpg

Last edited:
You will only have a mechanical diff lock if ordered as an option. The button is to engage it is to the right of the gear selector, centre top of six buttons, little drawing of four wheels with an x on one axle.

The 4wd drive isnti actually permanent.
In normal condition the drive is fwd but when the smarty pants electronics detect wheel slippage then power is redirected automatically to where it is required. The diff lock if you have locks the rear diff only and prevents individual wheel spin. This can only be used at slow speeds and will automatically drop out if a certain speed is reached. Earlier 4wd Cali's had diff lock as standard but it's an option on later models.

Remember to switch off the difflock as soon as you get moving as it will be difficult to turn with it engaged in snow as it will want to go straight on.

Easy to do a lot of damage with a diff lock. On a Defender indicator said Diff Lock was OFF. Few miles later, at 40mph, big bang and hole in gearbox / central diff. I know it is a different system, but read up about it and how/when to use.

Easy to do a lot of damage with a diff lock. On a Defender indicator said Diff Lock was OFF. Few miles later, at 40mph, big bang and hole in gearbox / central diff. I know it is a different system, but read up about it and how/when to use.
True, Mrs Loz drove our Discovery 2 with the difflock on until it wound up the transmission so much it wouldn't move. I had to jack up one wheel to release tension, we were lucky not to break a half shaft.

If you do use the Cali difflock it sometimes won’t release, so you need to go backwards and forwards a little and tug on the handbrake a few times until the light goes out on the dash.

Last edited:
Just drive it the vehicle manages the rest. If you want to check its works (as sometimes the haldex develops a fault and doesnt tell you) then put two wheels on one side onto the grass verge then floor it both wheels should spin. You can do all 4 in a field of course.

Back