Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine battery discharging

stephen watson

stephen watson

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I'm looking for some advice please. (WG - if you have time I would like to benefit from your extensive knowledge please!)

I got my T6 in February, driving it back from Ireland to the Lakes. I then didn't use it for about a month and found the engine battery was flat. The AA came out, tested the battery, alternator, checked to see if it was drawing current when locked (no) and found everything OK. We concluded that it had flattened because I had been in an out of it quite a few times (fiddling/admiring it!) without driving it. I was surprised that this had happened so quickly and thought I had learnt my lesson - not to keep getting in and out during a period of non use.

Well, the has same happened again - after around 6 weeks of non use, this time with minimal getting in and out. Again the AA man confirmed all was OK - but explained that some modern cars can only be left a few weeks before the battery is discharged enough not to start. I haven't had it checked by VW as both AA men seemed sure they would find nothing wrong. The AA man also said as it has a DSG I shouldn't try and bump start it on a hill.

At the moment, mainly because of work, these periods of inactivity are likely to continue, so it's a nuisance.

I have a couple of questions:

Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know how long you can leave it without starting it up?

I have fitted a solar panel (from Roger Donoghue) and that works well keeping the leisure batteries charged up. I had thought, but must be wrong, that it would also top up the engine battery. The AA man suggested I get the solar panel wired into the engine battery as well. Has anyone done this and if so is it a DIY job?

Every time you open a door the interieur and footwell lights go on ( did you switched them off?) also you can hear the computer/hard disk (whatever you may call it )running behind the dash it makes a light noise.
Are you sure noting was on using power? 12v sockets empty!

Now it could be you starter battery has gone that low it needs replacement.
Becose the second time you say 6weeks , and flat again?

Did you ever conciderd plugging the Cali in 220v hook-up as we so strongly reccomend here on the forum?

I do not know how your solar kit is wired and if it also charges starterbattery so you need get that info first...

I'm looking for some advice please. (WG - if you have time I would like to benefit from your extensive knowledge please!)

I got my T6 in February, driving it back from Ireland to the Lakes. I then didn't use it for about a month and found the engine battery was flat. The AA came out, tested the battery, alternator, checked to see if it was drawing current when locked (no) and found everything OK. We concluded that it had flattened because I had been in an out of it quite a few times (fiddling/admiring it!) without driving it. I was surprised that this had happened so quickly and thought I had learnt my lesson - not to keep getting in and out during a period of non use.

Well, the has same happened again - after around 6 weeks of non use, this time with minimal getting in and out. Again the AA man confirmed all was OK - but explained that some modern cars can only be left a few weeks before the battery is discharged enough not to start. I haven't had it checked by VW as both AA men seemed sure they would find nothing wrong. The AA man also said as it has a DSG I shouldn't try and bump start it on a hill.

At the moment, mainly because of work, these periods of inactivity are likely to continue, so it's a nuisance.

I have a couple of questions:

Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone know how long you can leave it without starting it up?

I have fitted a solar panel (from Roger Donoghue) and that works well keeping the leisure batteries charged up. I had thought, but must be wrong, that it would also top up the engine battery. The AA man suggested I get the solar panel wired into the engine battery as well. Has anyone done this and if so is it a DIY job?
I've left mine for over 3 weeks at Heathrow , in winter and it started 1st time. As @hotel california has said, every time the door is opened not only do the cab lights come on, unless switched off, but the sound system, more of a mini computer boots up. All this is worked off the engine battery.
Yes, the Solar panel could be wired to the engine battery, but can be problematic. Better to plug into the mains once a month as that WILL charge up the engine battery.

As HC said, if leaving it idle there are a lot of potential battery drains to consider. The side door stair well is a big one but there are courtesy lights all over the place. As a habit now I have them turned off for even when using the vehicle and camping for a few days just opening and closing doors can be a big drain.

Have you an electric side door? If so opening and closing is not going to be helpful.

As WG and HC say, just opening the thing up starts all sorts of systems whirring. Keeping it on hook-up when not in use will help.

Every time you open a door the interieur and footwell lights go on ( did you switched them off?) also you can hear the computer/hard disk (whatever you may call it )running behind the dash it makes a light noise.
Are you sure noting was on using power? 12v sockets empty!

Now it could be you starter battery has gone that low it needs replacement.
Becose the second time you say 6weeks , and flat again?

Did you ever conciderd plugging the Cali in 220v hook-up as we so strongly reccomend here on the forum?

I do not know how your solar kit is wired and if it also charges starterbattery so you need get that info first...
Thanks for the quick reply, hotel california. I am sure nothing was using power, although there was a usb socket plugged into the dash 12v, but with nothing connected. The AA are sure the battery is OK. The solar panels have a Victron charger which has some special feature that charges in a special way every 30 days (equalization), which is supposed to mean you don't need to do the 220V hook up every 30 days, so no I haven't done this.

However do you know if the 220 V hook up charges the engine battery in addition to the leisure battery? (Which would seem to be different from the solar panels).

I've left mine for over 3 weeks at Heathrow , in winter and it started 1st time. As @hotel california has said, every time the door is opened not only do the cab lights come on, unless switched off, but the sound system, more of a mini computer boots up. All this is worked off the engine battery.
Yes, the Solar panel could be wired to the engine battery, but can be problematic. Better to plug into the mains once a month as that WILL charge up the engine battery.
What a brilliant forum this is. All my favourite members helping within minutes. Thanks GJ, WG,HC. I know I can switch off the courtesy lights, but I think the footwells still come on. There is the power latch on the side door and boot which I hadn't considered. Very useful to know that the mains plug will charge up the engine battery as well. Thanks again all.

The footwell light goes off if i switch off on top on the central roofconsol.
Mine is T5 so a T6 owner must clear this out 100%
The sliding door is indeed a power user (specially the fully automatic one), as is the little light in the rear / boot , on the lefthandside in the wardrobe under the metal shelf . That light does nothing as you almost never stock you head under the metal shelf ....there is no switch to turn that light of , i simply took out the bulb .
If your tailgate stays open for longtime it uses power , do not know to witch if it is wired but still to me useless to have it on.

Could be something is wrong , have it checked under warrenty if it happens a 3th time.

Thanks for the quick reply, hotel california. I am sure nothing was using power, although there was a usb socket plugged into the dash 12v, but with nothing connected. The AA are sure the battery is OK. The solar panels have a Victron charger which has some special feature that charges in a special way every 30 days (equalization), which is supposed to mean you don't need to do the 220V hook up every 30 days, so no I haven't done this.

However do you know if the 220 V hook up charges the engine battery in addition to the leisure battery? (Which would seem to be different from the solar panels).
The built in Charger will charge the Leisure Batteries first and once charged to a certain level will start charging the Engine Battery, BUT cannot charge a flat battery.
As the Solar Panel will have kept the Leisure Batteries topped up then the Mains Charger will be charging the engine battery sooner.
A 12v USB charger, even if it has nothing plugged in can still consume some current and should be removed if not being used.

Wasn't there some posts recently about the stereo draining far too much power and not shutting off properly?

The footwell light goes off if i switch off on top on the central roofconsol.

Mine is T5 so a T6 owner must clear this out 100%

My T6 Beach footwell light in both drivers & side sliding door stay OFF when opening those doors when I have the interior courtesy light switch OFF.

+1 on removing all 12V cigar lighter adapters & USBs too. I have just bought some fancypants Anker USB adapters & they illuminate whether in use or not.

I have low-level paranoia about battery usage at all times when the van isn't moving along ... :D

Easiest way of topping up the engine battery is to use a simple cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter jump starter, using one permanently live socket supplied by the engine battery & one from the leisure batteries. That way you could make use of the solar top up. You could of course just end up with all 3 batteries flat!

Draper on is £27
shopping.jpg
Also worth carrying for emergencies if you do flatten the engine battery whilst camping

I've jump-started my own Beach out of the passenger door from the leisure battery after my dashcam flattened it (it's now on an ignition-switched fuse ...)

I have a T6 beach. I left the dash cam several times plugged in for weeks and the result was just the leisure battery flat.

I took the van for the first service and after 1 week the main battery was flat and I had to jump start the van.
The dash can was plugged in the front dashboard socket.

In my opinion, the van should have a cut-off switch for the main battery when it's parked. The manual states that it does have one for when the side light is left on.

I've jump-started my own Beach out of the passenger door from the leisure battery after my dashcam flattened it (it's now on an ignition-switched fuse ...)
Quick way to knacker your leisure batteries! They’re not designed for the sort of current a starter motor pulls.

Turns out I've been stiffed with a starter-type battery in there anyway, rather than a leisure-type battery, but strictly a one off move.

Cheaper than a chiropractor after bump-starting it anyway ... :thumb

I have a T6 beach. I left the dash cam several times plugged in for weeks and the result was just the leisure battery flat.

I took the van for the first service and after 1 week the main battery was flat and I had to jump start the van.
The dash can was plugged in the front dashboard socket.

It's difficult to ever get a clear picture of California fuses, but someone helpfully posted here previously that on the T6 Beach (at least, perhaps others?) the middle row of the three rows of fuses in the panel on the floor / gearbox tunnel are ignition switched.

Some people seem to have their dashcam running permanently but I prefer mine ignition switched so as to not flatten either battery again.

Easiest way of topping up the engine battery is to use a simple cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter jump starter, using one permanently live socket supplied by the engine battery & one from the leisure batteries. That way you could make use of the solar top up. You could of course just end up with all 3 batteries flat!

Draper on is £27
View attachment 22954
Also worth carrying for emergencies if you do flatten the engine battery whilst camping
Where did you purchase that please Andy. I can't find it on the Draper website. Thanks