Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine cooling fan keeps running after shut down

F

fryersfield

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi , I have a 6 month old bought from new T6 ocean. Evrytime I stop the van and switch off the engine the cooling fan keeps running for several minutes. Is this normal.?

Thanks

Are you doing short journeys when this happens? It could be in regen mode when you stop (cleans DPF).

I think this is normal if the engine is hot. Our Cali and Yeti have always done it.

I think this is normal if the engine is hot. Our Cali and Yeti have always done it.
Hi Brian, how are you?
I think it is triggered by the temperature of the DPF and wether it has recently done a regeneration and designed to stop the area overheating after the vehicle stops moving.
The post I read was from an owner who complained about this and the poor fuel consumption they were getting on a new T6 and the dealer performed software upgrades to change behaviour of the EGR and DPF regeneration, the own has reported less of the "Fan" issue since.

I have been driving about whilst house sitting for the last 6 weeks and mine has been doing it and the car has barely got to operating temp. So I might book mine in..

Hi Loz. OK thanks.
I agree if it's cold then a bit strange. Perhaps VW are coming across a few bugs with the EU6 engines although they have been around for a while now. Both our Cali and Yeti are EU5 of course so perhaps not affected.You know what VW software can be like.:):shocked

Hi Brian, how are you?
I think it is triggered by the temperature of the DPF and wether it has recently done a regeneration and designed to stop the area overheating after the vehicle stops moving.
The post I read was from an owner who complained about this and the poor fuel consumption they were getting on a new T6 and the dealer performed software upgrades to change behaviour of the EGR and DPF regeneration, the own has reported less of the "Fan" issue since.

I have been driving about whilst house sitting for the last 6 weeks and mine has been doing it and the car has barely got to operating temp. So I might book mine in..

Mine has 1500 km on it and i have the same issue. Consumption is high and fan keeps turning even after a short drive ( 2km ) . Can somebody explain wat EGR and DPF stands for?

Mine has 1500 km on it and i have the same issue. Consumption is high and fan keeps turning even after a short drive ( 2km ) . Can somebody explain wat EGR and DPF stands for?
Sorry for the TLA's :)

EGR is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve; it is used to allow hot exhaust gasses to go into the air intake to aid in quicker heating of the engine

DPF is the Diesel Particulate Filter which cleans up the exhaust and removes harmful particles that we all breath in.. As part of its operation it has to be occasionally "Baked" at a high temperature to self clean.

Last edited:
EGR is exhaust gas recirculation, basically it feeds exhaus gas back through the engine to make sure all possible combustible material is used.
DPF is Diesel Particulate Filter which filters out the dreaded nasty particles in the exhaust. This needs heat to keep the filter clear and workable so on short journeys this doesnt happen. When the filter is getting clogged the vehicle will do an automatic cleaning cycle.
Consumption is likley to be high due to cold temperatures, the engine is new and short journeys. We have found over the course of a number of VW diesels that the best consumption wont happen until you have done around 10k miles at least.
Hope this helps.

Edit. Beat me to it Loz

When the DPF has been regenerating the fan is very loud running after switching off, but on short journeys at sub 5°C temps the coolant heater, which helps warm the engine, can be heard running on for a short while - this is much quieter.

Mine has been running on on short trips since the temp has dropped I presumed it was coolant heater

As all these things can be programmed in the computer , could it be on new verhicles they program it to cool it xtra say the first ....km while the engine is new and needs to run itself in....
Just guessing ...

Hi , I have a 6 month old bought from new T6 ocean. Evrytime I stop the van and switch off the engine the cooling fan keeps running for several minutes. Is this normal.?

Thanks

I started a thread on this when I moved from my T5 (which rarely if ever did it) to a T6 (which very often does). Nothing to worry about but initially alarming!

Hello from France (Britanny). I read with interest this post about "overheating". My Calif is 204-DSG-4Motion, 2000 km, 6 months old. My observations are following :

- this phenomena appears after short journey, less than 20 km, 4 or 5 times since 6 months, so it is not systematic at each stop. It's normal travel, meaning not in city with low speed which would decrease natural cooling efficiency.
- i know when it will appear because i ear an additional engine noise, like a loud clicclicclic, at engine low speed and mostly at the moment of the engine shut down. More, the engine low speed is at 1000 tr/min instead of 900 tr/min usually.
- the fans remains ON during 2 or 3 minutes after shutdown, and i feel a hot air flow outside when i leave my Calif by the passenger door
- water temp is at 90°C, normal, no red warning on the board. Water temp is the same after fans overfunction, 3 minutes later.
- outside temp is at 10 to 15°C, low.

I would like to know if you experienced the same facts in your case ? I feel that i have to contact my Calif provider and ask him to change the soft, if it is efficient and logic ?

Note : fuel consomption seems higher than the catalogue... About 10 l/100km in reality, instead of 7 l/100km on the doc. Your feedback with the same Calif ?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Gilbert

@Gibus This sounds normal and is the engine doing a regeneration. There was a recall to update the software.

Have you read this thread completly?

Thanks Loz, yes i read all the thread but my english may be poor.... So, i'll contact my Calif dealer to check if soft update has been done.
Bye.

Back