Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine management light.

C

CalGra

Vehicle
Please Select
Traveling just 70 miles for holiday two weeks ago. Add blue message came on dash with 300 miles left to top up. At same time engine management light came on. Topped up with add blue, message reset now 6000 miles to go before next top up. Engine management light, not flashing, stayed on. Contacted dealer, took van in. Dealer put van on diagnostics, engine will not reset. Correspondence between dealer and technical in Germany, giving dealer pages upon pages of test to do. Has anyone else had these problems or have any ideas. Van is a California Ocean registered as 2018 plate, done total of 7500 miles

In this case you would possibly get more response from a generic t6 forum than here, just due to the much larger number of vehicles and owners the odds of someone recognising the symptoms are much higher.

The EML should throw up some specific fault codes.

what colour was the illuminated EML on the Dash ?

Have you got a record of the fault codes ? Ask the dealer to provide a full list (they may refuse)

I presume the van will still run ?

with the van only having done 7500 miles, were most of those miles short journeys driven conservatively ?

There is a modified EGR tube available, the old tube can block, causing EML light to illuminate, the fault code will show this up as poor gas flow through the EGR.
Mine 2018 van, low mileage at the time, was replaced several years ago by AA patrol Whilst I was on holiday, following a long Drive !
AA said “this a common with low mileages Vans driven conservatively “
apparently the issue is so common that VW provide a special piece of Kit to the AA and the new modified EGR tube to do the fix at the roadside!
The fix involved cleaning The EGR system and replacing the EGR pipe at the front of the engine (silver pipe with a concertina section ) all carried out on site Approx 1 hour, no issue since. Later model have the modified EGR pipe from factory).

unfortunately without specific fault codes it’s a guessing game as to why the light came on, I’m a bit surprised that garage has not been able to narrow it down to a specific issue and provide a fix from the fault codes. (That what fault codes are for).
fault codes can be googled, which will provide some detail of similar issues.

Do you have VW assist ?
if the dealer can’t sort this quickly & they won’t provide the codes, I would get the van back and call out VW assist, who will read the fault codes ( you can ask for to take a screen shot on your phone for your records) VW assist will ( if they can) clear the codes and similarly Fix the issue If they are able.

if not they will either ask you to Drive or transport the Van to a dealer ! (Back to square one, but at least you will have a record of the fault codes to do your own research

Here is the thread I posted in showing the replacement/ flush of the system relating to insufficient EGR flow

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/egr-insufficient-flow-£1700.36936/#post-452926

Traveling just 70 miles for holiday two weeks ago. Add blue message came on dash with 300 miles left to top up. At same time engine management light came on. Topped up with add blue, message reset now 6000 miles to go before next top up. Engine management light, not flashing, stayed on. Contacted dealer, took van in. Dealer put van on diagnostics, engine will not reset. Correspondence between dealer and technical in Germany, giving dealer pages upon pages of test to do. Has anyone else had these problems or have any ideas. Van is a California Ocean registered as 2018 plate, done total of 7500 miles
Hi - having a similar issue. Cali is a 21 plate, the engine management and ACC not working light came on recently returning from holiday. After a while it went into limp mode limiting revs to circa 2000.
this was about 2 months ago, since then, the dealer has been liaising with technical in Germany. They have changed the ad blue pump twice and injectors once. Still not fixed and dealer saying they and technical haven’t seen this problem before.
it’s still under Warranty and we loved it but getting to the stage when I just want them to swap it for a new one that works.
anyone had a similar problem or experience of dealing with VW customer services ?
cheers

Hi - having a similar issue. Cali is a 21 plate, the engine management and ACC not working light came on recently returning from holiday. After a while it went into limp mode limiting revs to circa 2000.
this was about 2 months ago, since then, the dealer has been liaising with technical in Germany. They have changed the ad blue pump twice and injectors once. Still not fixed and dealer saying they and technical haven’t seen this problem before.
it’s still under Warranty and we loved it but getting to the stage when I just want them to swap it for a new one that works.
anyone had a similar problem or experience of dealing with VW customer services ?
cheers
Hi CVW,
Did you happen to get this sorted in the end as it sounds very similar to what I'm going through now?
I have a 2022 Coast 16000km on clock. I had the engine management light come on at 8K.. Dealers said it was a faulty DPF sensor and changed it under warranty. At 15K same fault again. Dealer changed it again under warranty and by instruction by VW HQ. Started the van this morning again to be greeted by the effing Engine management light again. Starting to get a bit pee'd off now. Third time in dealers now in under a year.

Hi Lance,
Long story short, yes engine managemeant resolved fingers crossed. Three separate attempts by garage, all under warranty thankfully. Replaced the ad blue pump twice but didn’t solve it and then under VW technical dept guidance from Germany replaced the control panel. Apparently a £3000 part, the issue was sensors incorrectly triggered and not being cleared.

this was in October and since then no issues with engine. However on our first camping trip this year the above the head control panel froze (again) and heat8ng system didn’t work. So back to the garage in a couple of weeks.

I have escalated with VW and the dealer but their only 8nterested in a part exchange. So I contacted the Motor Ombudsman to see if that makes a difference. don’t think the van is fit for purpose and should be exchanged at their cost not mine.
I wonder if others are having these issues too?

don’t think the van is fit for purpose and should be exchanged at their cost
What would you want it exchanged for ?
im. Not trying to be obtuse, but surely an exchange would / could be the same ?
surely if vw could fix it they would ? Is this not a software issue with VW

Hi Perfectos,
plan A was get it fixed, plan b was exchange for a van that works. I have no confidence that the problems won’t re occur. So was looking to exchange

Because of costs increases, the best deal the dealership offered meant I had to find an extra £15000 for the same spec. I wasn’t prepared to do that.

feels like I am stuck with a van I believe isn’t fit for purpose between the dealer and Vw. Vw customer services didn’t want to know and said it was between me and the dealer.

Back