Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine Oil Top Up

S

Stu

Guest User
I'm sure most of you are aware that your Cali requires the correct oil which for most is probably of the VW 507 specification (Fully Synthetic 5W30).

VW 507 was originally reserved for vehicles on Longlife Service Regime QG1 however all vehicles with DPF fitted now require VW 507 even if on Time/Distance Fixed Servicing. VW suggest that the use of oils that don't meet this specification can halve the life of the DPF.

So with with that in mind it is important to have some oil to hand at all times especially on long journey's and VW 507 is not the easiest to find or cheapest oil on the streets. Whilst scouting around the van today looking for somewhere to stash the spare oil I happened upon what looks to me to be a nice solution. I wondered if you carry oil where do you keep yours??

OilStorage.jpg

Looks a better place then where I leave mine - the glove compartment!

Nice little find there stu :) ... Always up for a bit of easy storage of things not used that often ...sweet ..!!!

Don't bother carrying oil, should not use any. If it does start to leak then it's a warranty issue along with topping it up!
Only checked it once I think, thats what all those lights on the dash are for!

Out of interest a lot of trucks now a days do not have a dipstick that driver can use, told to rely on dash lights!

I have to disagree I'm afraid Andy. As I said above it's not always easy to find VW 507 spec oil and it's better not to get caught out.

Also it is entirely natural for an engine to 'use' oil, not all oil consumption is as a result of a leak and in fact some oil usage is good because when you top up you refresh the properties of the oil already in the sump. Topping up is not a warranty issue.

My Audi didn't have a dipstick as standard, everything including the tube just not the stick (although I have since added one), it has the ability to check the oil via the MMI display.

Most diesel engines in my experience 'find' an oil level & stay there, except for in the case of a leaking engine.

But I accept your point of the VW oil being hard to locate, as I've not tried.

During 45000 miles in my facelift 180DSG I have had to put in about 2 litres of oil. I do not have a leak.

Asked in van centre about engine oil today when I collected my Cali. They gave me a litre of Castrol Edge Professional longlife III 5W-30 free of charge !!

Andy said:
Asked in van centre about engine oil today when I collected my Cali. They gave me a litre of Castrol Edge Professional longlife III 5W-30 free of charge !!

That's a result - It's normally upwards of £12 a Litre :thumb

We were given a litre of 5W30 with our new Cali, and advised that we should only use this oil. We wouldn't have known otherwise! All part of the excellent service at Manchester VW Centre.

The 2.5 litre engine used more oil than the current 2.0 litre engines, and one litre per 1,000km was within manufacturers tolerances for oil copnsumption. If the engine uses a bit of oil it doesn't automatically mean that there is a leak and a problem.

Generally though the 2.0 litre engine is a lot better than the 2.5's.

cheers

VW spec Castrol Edge 5W30 available + Europarts for £26.99 that's (£6.75 per ltr) using promo code 'midmonth30'

A saving of 30%, so well worth getting some in.. :barmy

johntowers46 said:
I was supplied with 1 litre, in a zip up bag with latex gloves and a dipstick wipe.

John, I was also supplied the same thing from new - 1l in zip bag... - I agree that diesel engines (especially newer ones) usually drink some oil. 10k miles though and not put any in yet...

I was told by my dealer at handover that the pre-facelift T5 does drink a little oil but the new engines don't really. I don't know if was just a ploy to not give me a litre of oil. ;) I've checked the level a couple of times and it has been ok. I think as Stu has found a good cubby hole (as my father says) I will get some just in case.

My Mk5 Golf did drink a lot but seems to have settled down now after it's 2nd service.

I've had 3 transporters including my cali, all of them have used oil, none have had leaks so don't know what andy's going on about?

don't know what andy's going on about?

Maybe I should have said large diesel engines. None of the trucks I have driven for the last ten years have used oil. When topped up they burn off oil & get to a level where it no longer drops. ie finds it's own level.

Hi Stu - your photo seems to show a bottle of Castrol SLX - is that the VW 507? Need to buy some oil today!

Cheers

Phil

Back